Political Ad Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 12:06:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Political Ad Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Author Topic: Political Ad Megathread  (Read 43482 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2016, 06:55:46 PM »

A few new campaign TV ads were released today and yesterday:

-The Kasich campaign released a :15 second ad, Please Caucus for Gov. John Kasich, featuring Mitt Romney extolling the virtues of John Kasich at a campaign rally earlier in the month.  It's not clear whether this will end up on TV, as I don't think the Kasich campaign has any :15 second spots reserved yet.  Two :15 second spots usually cost 60% more than your typical :30 second ad.

-Anti-Trump Our Principles PAC released the :30 second Imagination, which features excerpts from Mitt Romney's anti-Trump speech at Utah's Hinckley Institute from earlier this month.  I'll discuss Our Principles PAC's Utah media buy in the next post.

-Pro-Clinton WomenVotes released a :15 second ads on the virtues of Hillary Clinton.  In Can't Find Affordable Child Care? Give 'Em Hill, the group argues when child care costs more than your rent, you give them Hill, who has a plan on that.  It's not clear that this ad has or will ever end up on TV.

Pro-Clinton WomenVotes Project has released a number of similar :15 second ads in the past few weeks:
1) When Your College Loans Are Taking Over Your Life... give 'em Hill.
2) It's Called Women's Health Care - when politicians tell you what to do with your body... give 'em Hill.
3) Held To A Different Standard? Give 'em Hill argues that Hillary is indeed inspirational given the jobs she has held in the past.
4) Paid Less? Give 'em Hill - when bro who has the same job makes more than you ... give 'em Hill.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2016, 07:09:59 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2016, 07:31:08 PM by cinyc »

Trump and the anti-Trump Our Principles PAC are now up in Utah.  Trump's buy is at least $74,465 for 217 spots - though, like with Cruz, we don't know the size of his buy on market spending-leading KUTV (CBS).  Trump is spending $12,040 for 41 ads on KSL-TV (NBC) (25 news, 3 prime time, 7 daytime, 6 Other).

Our Principles PAC reportedly made a $250,000 Utah ad buy, but the data from the FCC filings in so far doesn't bear that out.  According to the data, so far, Our Principles PAC is spending $46,340 on two Utah stations for 74 spots.  On KSL, the PAC is spending $29,185 for 45 ads (37 news, 6 prime time, 2 other).  It is possible that the PAC is spending on cable ads, which don't get tracked by the FCC.  

Sanders has upped his ad spending on some Utah stations, buying even more ads.  Clinton isn't even advertising in the state.

Pro-Cruz Trusted Leadership PAC has also increased its ad buys to a reported $195,727 marketwide.  I can account for about $170,000 of that for 197 ads through the FCC filings so far.

I haven't thoroughly checked the Arizona filings, but I don't see any Cruz ad buys there yet.  The pro-Cruz Trusted Leadership PAC is spending $383,200 in the Phoenix market, though.

Edit: I found the KUTV filings.  Our Principles PAC is spending $173,950 on that station for 51 spots, including $10,000 spots during the NCAA Basketball Tournament.  So, yes, they are indeed making a $250,000 buy in the Utah market.  The Trump campaign is spending $49,125 for 35 KUTV spots; Cruz is spending $79,675 for 83 spots.  With KUTV, that brings the Utah TV spending for the top 3 Republican candidates to:

Cruz                  $184,200      329 ads
Kasich               $174,950      464 ads
Trump               $123,590      252 ads
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2016, 11:12:53 PM »

Cruz's new SuperPAC of SuperPACs, Trusted Leadership PAC, recently created a YouTube Channel.  They posted one ad 3 days ago:

In the :30 second Ready on Day One, the PAC focuses on Cruz's fights against Obamacare and for religious liberty and the Ten Commandments to argue that he is ready on day one.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2016, 11:57:52 AM »

Did anyone see the weird press 1 if you support Trump for the economy, 2 if you support him because of immigration, etc. ad?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2016, 06:17:40 PM »

Pro-Kasich New Day for America PAC released a :30 second ad on YouTube today:

- In Suggest, the PAC argues that voters should vote Kasich because he is the only one who can defeat Hillary Clinton, citing the polls.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2016, 10:46:28 PM »

The now Pro-Cruz and always Anti-Trump Club for Growth released a :30 second TV ad to YouTube today:

-In "Math" to Stop Donald Trump, Club for Growth argues that only Cruz can beat Donald Trump in the delegate math, and a vote for Kasich helps Trump by dividing the opposition.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2016, 11:51:24 PM »

Anyone care to guess what the top network/syndicated TV show for poltiical ad spending is this cycle?

Hint: It somewhat has to do with who's watching and available local inventory for local TV commercials.  And it's the same answer as in the full 2012 cycle.
Answer
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2016, 06:06:26 PM »

Three new Cruz ads and two new Anti-Trump Our Principles PAC ads were released on YouTube today.  All are :30 seconds.

Cruz's ads are largely focused at Wisconsin:
1) Every Day Fighter, features a presumably auto shop owner who says Donald Trump's empty promises won't cut it and we need a principled leader like Ted Cruz who has a real plan to turn things around.
2) Worried features Ted Cruz speaking to American families who are worried that they are falling behind, about their jobs and their freedom, telling them that he is running for President to restore opportunity, raise wages, bring jobs back to America, reverse the damage Obama has done, restore the Constitution, etc.  It includes a vote April 5 message, so it is targeted at Wisconsin.
3)  Tax Plan features Ted Cruz and a voice over artist highlighting Ted Cruz's tax plan.

Our Principles PAC put 4 of its ad on its public YouTube channel, but we've already highlighted two before they were publicly released.  The two totally new ads are:
1) "Trust", highlighting Trump's prior non-conservative positions on universal health care, gun control and eminent domain, using Trump's own words.  It ends "Can we trust Donald Trump?"  To do that, the paid for by Our Principles PAC message is at the front of the ad, although it correctly includes the four-second written paid-for message at the end.
2) "Know" is similar to "Trust", except that it highlight's Trump's prior position on partial birth abortion in addition to universal health care and gun control.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2016, 06:15:32 PM »

I added Rocky de La Fuente's YouTube Channel to the list on the front page of this post.  He has been advertising in some states, usually making small TV buys.  Yesterday, De La Fuente added an Alaskan-specific ad to the channel - though I'm not sure if he is actually airing it.

-Rocky, Coming to an Alaskan Democratic Caucus Near You starts by saying how Rocky is running for President, even though you may not know it.   He got signatures of ordinary people to get on the ballot.  It also highlights De La Fuente as a successful entrepreneur, and asks for Alaksans' votes.

De La Fuente actually aired this ad, We the People 30s, on Spanish-language TV in Arizona.  Note that the paid for written disclaimer doesn't appear at the exact end of the ad, as required by law for TV ads, but about :20 seconds in.  The ad also came in :45 and :60 second versions.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2016, 09:38:37 PM »

Pro-Kasich New Day for America released a new :30 second ad today:
-In Again, the PAC argues that a vote for Ted Cruz is a vote for Hillary Clinton because Cruz can't beat her but Kasich can.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2016, 06:13:28 PM »

Pro-Cruz Trusted Leadership PAC strikes back at the Pro-Kasich New Day for America's recent ad by releasing a Wisconsin attack ad against Kasich:

-In the :30 second Kasich Won't Play, Trusted Leadership PAC attacks John Kasich for his PAC's Soros Ties, voting against the Second Amendment and expanding Obamacare in Ohio, costing taxpayers billions.  Given Kasich's liberal record, John Kasich won't play in Wisconsin - or so the PAC claims.

Trusted Leadership PAC is making a $500,000 TV, radio and digital buy in Wisconsin, according to CNN.

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2016, 06:23:08 PM »

Morning Consult outlined this week's Wisconsin ad buys, likely as of this morning.  Note: These figures include broadcast, radio and cable:

Cruz: $206,000
Kasich: $267,000
Trump $347,000

Clinton: $67,000
Sanders: $984,000

Trusted Leadership PAC (Pro-Cruz):  $343,000
New Day for America (Pro-Kasich): $283,000
Club For Growth (Pro-Cruz): $346,000
Club For Growth (Anti-Trump): $162,000
Our Principles PAC (Anti-Trump):  $546,000

I'm not sure how/why Morning Consult listed Club For Growth twice, with different amounts.

Click on the article if you're interested in knowing where some of the candidates/PACs have concentrated their ad buy.  The big disparity between Clinton and Sanders ad spending tells me that Clinton has all but given up on winning the state.  I expect another Sanders blowout, which is what occured in almost every state that Clinton didn't bother to advertise in over the past month.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2016, 10:21:25 PM »

I'm not sure how/why Morning Consult listed Club For Growth twice, with different amounts.

Aren't they just separating out the money spent on anti-Trump attack ads from those spent on pro-Cruz ads?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2016, 10:26:03 PM »

Aren't they just separating out the money spent on anti-Trump attack ads from those spent on pro-Cruz ads?

Yes, but I have no idea how they could possibly calculate that upfront before the ads have been aired.  A PAC or candidate can easily swap out ads.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2016, 06:45:48 PM »

Two new ads today, one from the Cruz campaign, the other from the Karl Rove-affiliated American Crossroads:

The Cruz campaign released a :60 second Wisconsin specific ad, Opportunity.  In it, Cruz, talking directly to the camera, claims his campaign is for a broad cross-section of Wisconsinites, that he will repeal Obamacare, peel back the EPA and small-business killing regulations, fight for fair trade, and see that wages go up and there is opportunity again.

American Crossroads released the :15 second #NeverHillary.  The ad begins with the caption "Scandal follows Hillary Clinton like a shadow", and the names of Clinton's scandals follow on the screen while audio of Hillary Clinton saying "I think I'm the most transparent person in public life" loops twice.  It ends "Stay Tuned, they'll be a lot more."  It's not clear that American Crossroads is actually airing this anywhere or that it is anything more than a web ad, though.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2016, 05:59:25 PM »

Three new ads today, all :30 seconds:

The Cruz campaign released Walker, in which Scott Walker speaks directly to the camera explaining why he supports Ted Cruz for President.

Pro-Kasich New Day for America released Nose, an ad slamming "Lyin' Ted" for lying about Carson to steal a win in Iowa, lying about being the best in the GOP despite the polls, and lying in a TV ad about Kasich, causing stations to pull it off the air (I'm not sure which ad they are referring to, perhaps the ad put out by a Pro-Cruz PAC).  If Ted Cruz's mouth is moving, he's lying, they claim.

Pro-Trump Great America PAC released Concerned, which features a Trump supporting mom who claims Trump will keep her family safe by controlling our borders while Cruz supported letting Syrian refugees in and giving amnesty to illegal immigrants.  NBC News has more information on who this PAC is and what their plans are.  This ad is supposedly slated to air in Wisconsin.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2016, 10:03:50 PM »

The Cruz campaign released Walker, in which Scott Walker speaks directly to the camera explaining why he supports Ted Cruz for President.

Pro-Kasich New Day for America released Nose, an ad slamming "Lyin' Ted" for lying about Carson to steal a win in Iowa, lying about being the best in the GOP despite the polls, and lying in a TV ad about Kasich, causing stations to pull it off the air (I'm not sure which ad they are referring to, perhaps the ad put out by a Pro-Cruz PAC).  If Ted Cruz's mouth is moving, he's lying, they claim.

Pro-Trump Great America PAC released Concerned, which features a Trump supporting mom who claims Trump will keep her family safe by controlling our borders while Cruz supported letting Syrian refugees in and giving amnesty to illegal immigrants.  NBC News has more information on who this PAC is and what their plans are.  This ad is supposedly slated to air in Wisconsin.

That "Nose" ad is as creepy as f-ck.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2016, 11:04:47 AM »

Pro-Kasich New Day for America released Nose, an ad slamming "Lyin' Ted" for lying about Carson to steal a win in Iowa, lying about being the best in the GOP despite the polls, and lying in a TV ad about Kasich, causing stations to pull it off the air (I'm not sure which ad they are referring to, perhaps the ad put out by a Pro-Cruz PAC).  If Ted Cruz's mouth is moving, he's lying, they claim.

Pro-Trump Great America PAC released Concerned, which features a Trump supporting mom who claims Trump will keep her family safe by controlling our borders while Cruz supported letting Syrian refugees in and giving amnesty to illegal immigrants.  NBC News has more information on who this PAC is and what their plans are.  This ad is supposedly slated to air in Wisconsin.

That "Nose" ad is as creepy as f-ck.

It looks like a **** emerging from his face and wrapping around his neck.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2016, 11:46:26 AM »

Pro-Cruz Trusted Leadership PAC released Kasich BFF, a :30 second ad tying Kasich to Obama for his Medicaid expansion in Ohio.  It uses Obama and a Fox News anchor's words to make the point.
dax00

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2016, 02:39:39 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2016, 02:43:15 PM by dax00 »

Anti-Cruz ad on Instagram released by the Trump campaign:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDqwFr_GhZJ/?taken-by=realdonaldtrump

Radio ad by Trump campaign, to have been aired yesterday in Wisconsin:
http://www.donaldjtrump.com/media/make-america-great-again-radio-spot
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2016, 11:23:55 AM »

Trump Effect ad, you have to admit, this is clever.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/717003103871115267
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2016, 12:57:00 PM »

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2016, 07:39:12 PM »

Three candidates and one PAC released TV ads on Youtube over the past few days.  All except one are :30 seconds.  On the Democratic side:

Hillary Clinton released 3 ads on YouTube:

-In Every Corner, Clinton argues that she helped New Yorkers in every corner of the state as Senator, and will do the same in every corner of America.  My guess is this will run mainly Upstate, as it mentions a lot of Upstate cities, but not much in the NYC area.
-Norma, mentions Clinton's support for the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus, which brought high-tech jobs to the region.  My guess is this will be played mainly in Buffalo, as it is meaningless Downstate.
-Spanish-language La vida requiere riesgos (Life Requires Risks) features DREAMer Dan-el Padilla Peralta, a Columbia professor that Hillary got a visa to return to the U.S. after studying at Oxford - I think.  But my Spanish is really rusty, so someone who speaks better Spanish can confirm or contradict.

Bernie Sanders released two ads:
-Erica features the daughter of Erica Garner endorsing Sanders because he is a protester who is willing to talk about police brutality and go up against the criminal justice system.  It features video of the police takedown of Eric Garner.
-The 1:00 minute America (New York) features New York-specific imagery at the beginning of Sanders' older ad featuring the Simon and Garfunkel song America.

Clinton and Sanders are both up in the NYC market.  From what I've seen, both have ads not on their YouTube channels.

On the Republican side:

-John Kasich released "Values", attacking Ted Cruz over his "New York values" comment.  It argues Cruz divides to get a vote while Kasich unites to get things done.
-Pro-Kasich New Day for America PAC released Ted Cruz & New York Values, along the same lines.  It argues New Yorkers aren't stupid, Ted, after 9/11, New Yorkers rallied, rebuilt but remembered - and will remember Cruz's comments about New York values.  Don't believe it when Cruz now says he loves New York, they claim.

As of right now, neither Kasich nor New Day for America are on air in the NYC TV market.  I'm not sure about Upstate markets.  That, obviously, can change in a heartbeat.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »

Two new ads on YouTube so far today, plus a shorter version of an ad aired yesterday:

-The Kasich campaign released One Choice (:15, :30), which argues that only Kasich can beat Clinton, and Cruz can't win the nomination outright or beat Clinton.
-The Kasich campaign also released a :15 second version of the Values ad they released yesterday, hitting Cruz on his New York values remarks.said we

-Pro-Kasich New Day for America released the :30 second Crazy, which argues Cruz is crazy because he was told by his father that he was ordained by God to hold a powerful position and Trump is crazy because he wants to, among other things, punish women who have an abortion and police Muslim neighborhoods, as the song Crazy plays in the background.  The ad claims Kasich is the stable, Presidential choice.

New Day for America has begun airing ads in the New York City market, at least.  There's very little in the FCC files for them so far, but things should be appearing soon.  I haven't seen any media buys by the Kasich campaign itself, either on air or in the FCC files - yet.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2016, 06:44:12 PM »

One new :30 second spot from Bernie Sanders today:

-In These Are Mothers and Fathers, Sons and Daughters, Sanders uses endorsements from Harry Belafonte, Erica Garner, Shaun King and Linda Sarsour to reach out to minority voters.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies