Quebec Municipal Elections 2017 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 04:31:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec Municipal Elections 2017 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Quebec Municipal Elections 2017  (Read 9418 times)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« on: October 18, 2017, 12:26:04 PM »

I was planning on voting for Fortier. Might still vote for him as a protest, because I see Coderre as corrupt and a bully and Plante as having ideas that are a little pie-in-the-sky. What's interesting is that Coalition doesn't have that many candidates, and the ones they have are all over the place. One posted a bunch of anti-feminist stuff and has no political background. Another, Deborah Rankin, is an experienced, poised Anglophone journalist.

I can speak for the Plateau (my part of town), which is a Projet stronghold by all definitions of the word. However, Equipe Coderre has a legitimately very strong slate. Zach Macklovitch, running for Plateau borough mayor, is young and runs 3 of the area's most popular clubs, along with a major promotion company. His appeal as both an entrepreneur and somebody well known in the area makes him a strong competitor against Luc Ferrandez. Additionally, in Jeanne-Mance, where there is still a large Portuguese population, Daniel Loureiro, who works for the Portuguese consulate as a community organizer, is one of Equipe Coderre's candidates. He's well known among the Portuguese here and he's working really hard on the ground. If anybody Coderre can win in the Plateau it's one of these two.

Coderre will win the overall mayoral race based on strength outside the downtown core/Plateau/Rosemont/Hochelaga. In an interview last week he called Projet the "clan from the Plateau". Running a populist campaign to say the least.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 10:31:51 AM »

When Coderre refers derisively to Projet Montreal as “that clan from the Plateau”, it can’t be very helpful to candidates running under Coderre’s banner in the Plateau

True, but he somehow found candidates who are good embodiments of the Plateau and its culture. There was a decent amount of crossover vote in 2013, but I wonder if things will be more partisan this time around.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 09:21:49 AM »

I was planning on voting for Fortier. Might still vote for him as a protest, because I see Coderre as corrupt and a bully and Plante as having ideas that are a little pie-in-the-sky. What's interesting is that Coalition doesn't have that many candidates, and the ones they have are all over the place. One posted a bunch of anti-feminist stuff and has no political background. Another, Deborah Rankin, is an experienced, poised Anglophone journalist.

Funny you call him a bully, Radio-Canada investigation office has an hit piece saying than the mayor Cabinet bullies public servants, election officials and even journalists in Montreal.

He's personally insulted some of my journalist friends when they ask questions. Dude hates the media...
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 02:45:59 PM »

Honestly, I'm so torn as to how I'll vote. I dislike Projet Montreal's platform but like Plante personally. I dislike Coderre personally but like Equipe Denis Coderre's platform.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 10:37:27 AM »

Honestly, I'm so torn as to how I'll vote. I dislike Projet Montreal's platform but like Plante personally. I dislike Coderre personally but like Equipe Denis Coderre's platform.

Vote Plante for mayor and for Equipe Denis Coderre's for council/borough, no?

I'm probably splitting my ballot for council/borough between Coalition and EDC based on how much I like each candidate. That may be a good option though!
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 06:54:00 PM »

Ended up voting Coderre, Macklovitch, Loureiro, and Rankin (Coalition). Made some phone calls for EDC and will be at their watch party tonight!
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 09:09:10 AM »

Well, that was definitely a rough night. Here's what I took from it:
1. If you have a personalistic outfit, you need to ensure that the person in charge is well liked.
2. Any association to the Conservatives on this island is toxic-just look at incumbent councilor (and 2015 CPC Ville-Marie candidate) Steve Shanahan coming in 3rd in his district...
3. Star candidates can run ahead of their ticket (Macklovitch got 35% in the Plateau, better than any other EDC candidates there), but at the end of the day a fortress is still a fortress.
4. Richard Bergeron got humiliated badly...
5. Anybody associated with Coderre's big moves was a target-look at Russell Copeman and Real Menard.
6. Projet Montreal dug heavily into the suburbs, which were supposed to be Coderre's base. RDP was closer than expected, Lasalle broke for Projet, Ille-Bizard and Pierrefonds were surprising.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies