CSU: Immigrants should speak German at home, CDU says LOLwhat ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:24:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  CSU: Immigrants should speak German at home, CDU says LOLwhat ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CSU: Immigrants should speak German at home, CDU says LOLwhat ?  (Read 12980 times)
swl
France

« on: December 08, 2014, 07:37:35 AM »
« edited: December 08, 2014, 07:43:23 AM by swl »

These people are dangerous.

"It is not the business of politicians whether I speak Latin, Klingon or Hessian at home," Peter Tauber, general secretary of the CDU, said on Twitter.

swl
France

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 10:08:06 AM »
« Edited: December 11, 2014, 10:12:04 AM by swl »

Sure, but the speed of this transformation depends on the size and status of the language of the host country. If it is a world language like English, what you describe will be the case. Language change happens slower and more reluctantly if the  switch is to a minor language which isn't useful (or of limited use) outside the host country.
True, I have been in the Netherlands for 4 years and I still speak almost no Dutch, because I can survive with my extremely basic level. On the other hand I lived in Italy for six months only and my Italian is better than my Dutch, because no one spoke English there.

Many people move to a new country thinking it will only be for a short-time, and then you happen to stay 10, 20 years or your whole life...
swl
France

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 04:25:28 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2014, 05:53:00 AM by swl »

Have you made no attempt to learn the language? I never understood why people would not want to learn the language of the country they live in (unless they're only living there for a few months or so).
It's not that I don't want, I wish I could speak Dutch but it costs time and money, so I went periodically until I had something better to do. And universities here are very international so it was easy to have a large social network without speaking Dutch.
In Italy they had free but mandatory Italian lessons, here you have to pay and its optional, so...

Also Dutch people are very self-deprecating about their language, they keep talking about how useless and ugly it is. I suggested at my university that they should give free mandatory lessons, but I think they are worried it would harm their international attractiveness.
It's true that many foreign students choose the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, etc specifically because there is no need to learn the local language (see this thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=202620.0).

Amusingly, Dutch peoples are quite nice to French, Italians, British, Americans etc who don't speak Dutch, but they resent Germans who do the same. Since they are neighboring countries there are many Germans who come without speaking neither Dutch or English and address them directly in German. Dutchies really hate that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies