Americans Support Gun Rights Over Gun Control -Pew Poll Shows (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:21:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Americans Support Gun Rights Over Gun Control -Pew Poll Shows (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Americans Support Gun Rights Over Gun Control -Pew Poll Shows  (Read 7361 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: December 12, 2014, 09:19:59 AM »

Indeed.  You never hear people complain about shootings anymore, not like you did in the 80s when it was all anybody talked about.

(just to be clear, that's sarcasm)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 11:00:04 AM »

You people would be so much more takeable, also, if you just admitted that you think they are fun and you feel good holding it.  You show it, but when gun control laws are proposed it becomes all principle and self-defense and irrelevant Constitutional script.  Just say they are fun so we can at least have an honest discussion. 
Guns ARE fun.  Most people that have fired them will tell you that. (there is nothing that is fun for everybody)  I do feel good holding one.  They are heavy, they are metal, they are made with exceptional engineering.  Just like a well made car, watch, etc.  Using a piece of fine engineering is a lot of fun for a lot of people.

Now, what do you want to discuss?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 11:49:22 AM »

Cool.  I wanted to discuss what I wrote above.  I wish others displayed your honestly.  
A lot of what you wrote above is just as loaded as anything a gun nut would write.
Then explain the why after a mentally ill kid shoots up an elementary school we get public opinion numbers like this.
I can't, but do you think it's a good idea to base policy and laws on the things the media picks up and runs with?  Or just the things you believe in that they pick up and run with?
You must be logged in to read this quote.
But people are outraged when that happens.  I'm totally not understanding the "but why aren't people outraged when gun violence happens?" line you're taking here.
I don't weigh in on the case very much because clearly (at least to me), BOTH parties involved screwed up big time by the actions they chose to take that night, but if I have a legal gun on me and I'm getting my ass severely kicked, whipping it out and shooting the person whooping my ass isn't something out of the question.  People do die from beatings (much more often than die from rifles and by several orders of magnitude more than "assault" rifles....this fact is completely ignored by your side by the way....any guesses as to why?) every freaking day you know.
In public, yeah, I can see the issue with stand your ground laws a few states have, but not in the home.
Those things don't work as effectively as a fire arm.  What if your attacker is a better fighter than you?  Why even take the chance?  Stun guns and tasers are often illegal in the same states where there are heavy restrictions on fire arms (odd that) and again, are nowhere near as effective as shotgun for home defense.  Using a taser or stun gun to keep you safe in your home is about as useful as a BB gun and less useful than a baseball bat.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 12:44:08 PM »

Ugh... I hate when people break up the quotes.
It's better than one long post answering another long post answering another long post....but yeah, they can a bitch to respond to what with all the coding issues that crop up.  Preview is our friend.
1.Seems about 50/50 to me, which is what I would expect.  There is a lot of outrage though, just not from everybody.

2.We are, it's just not usually for personal use and gun control fanatics tend to be against less than lethal means of subduing anyway.  Remember when your side was going stupid over tasers?  "OMG a fat guy with heart problems died after getting tasered, they should be banned!"...."you'd rather go back to batons and the broken arms, legs and skulls those caused?"...."well no, but tasers are horrible!"

3.The media loves mass shootings.  Newtown was a national tragedy unlike most shootings which are regional tragedies at best, but the cable news channels and the network news shows run with all of them.  Perhaps not as much as the gun control side would like, but they do.  I can guarantee you that if these got less press, the names of the shooters not revealed nor their motives there would be fewer mass shootings.

4.i have no idea

5.cite?  I can't find nothing.  Not that it changes anything.  People can and do die from one individual beating the snot out of them, often not even on purpose.  Sometimes it just takes one punch.  If you start a fight with somebody for no good reason and he shoots you, you are to blame as you instigated the encounter.

I'm for background checks.  I'm against letting felons (especially violent felons) having guns.  Same with the mentally ill.  Most of the rest your side proposes is silly sh**t that wouldn't stop any mass shootings.  Like assault weapons bans or the banning of specific weapons or features.  I can sort of understand magazine limits and if it would shut your side up, I might even be convinced to not be against it, but I know it won't so I remain against it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 01:05:58 PM »

Whaddya know.  We hold almost the exact same stance.  However, I am talking about a culture of violence, love of guns, and the dismissal of dead people as "sh*t happens". 
I don't think we're quite as violent as you think we are.  I don't remember the  last time I saw two men fighting.  I've never seen a gun pulled in anger.  Maybe it's because I live in a nice place?  Maybe the coasts are more violent?  I don't know.  I also don't see what's wrong with loving guns.  Some people love guns.  Some people love rollerblading, others enjoy a nice car, some love whiskey or beer...all of those can and do lead to your or some innocents death.

...and sometimes sh**t does happen.  And sh**t will continue to happen even if Franzl gets his wish and all legal guns go away.  You can't make sh**t not happen.  Bad things (sh**t) happen to good people everyday.  Mostly guns aren't involved.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies