SC-Gov: Vincent Sheheen (D) to challenge Gov. Nikki Haley (R) again in 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:20:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  SC-Gov: Vincent Sheheen (D) to challenge Gov. Nikki Haley (R) again in 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SC-Gov: Vincent Sheheen (D) to challenge Gov. Nikki Haley (R) again in 2014  (Read 5191 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 09:23:49 PM »

The only way Graham loses the general election is if he gets caught with a live boy or a dead girl in his bed.  His only real worry is  primary race, but his poll numbers among Republicans would have to keep dropping like they have the past couple of months for him to be vulnerable.  Any primary opponent who would be a real threat to him is likely going to need to raise at least a million dollars by the end of the year.

Graham isn't very conservative though.    Some conservatives will stay home, allowing a strong democratic candidate to win.  Though his chances of losing are slim, that's true.  I think Graham has a large amount of funding stored up though, so it will be hard to beat him.  If you live in South Carolina you know what I mean.  Advertisements for him are all over the internet.  Tim Scott is safe though.  Back on topic, Nikki Haley is probably going to win.   She represents an anti federal government (Tea Party) movement which is still fairly popular in South Carolina.  The democratic counties can't really upset the upstate, Charleston, and the other counties won fairly easily by a Republican.

Charleston isn't a Republican county.  The portions in the 1st district are, but the portions in the 6th more than compensate.  Now the other two counties in the Charleston metro, Dorchester and Berkeley are fairly Republican so the Charleston metro area as a whole is Republican, but still not as Republican as the statewide average.

If any of the Democratic heavy hitters goes after a Senate seat, it'll likely be Scott's, since as you point out, he's the more conservative of our two Senators and he has neither the deep coffers nor the experience in running a statewide campaign that Graham has.  However, I don't see the Democrats having a deep enough bench to wage two major statewide campaigns at the same time. With Sheheen running against Haley, the major general election battle is set for 2014.  If the Democrats make a second push, I think it'll be to retake Superintendent of Education.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 02:41:57 AM »

The South Carolina Democratic Party Chairman made comments Friday night that have drawn some criticism for elliptically referencing Haley's status as a minority and daughter of immigrants:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/04/dick-harpootlian-nikki-haley_n_3215857.html

"“In about 18 months from now, hopefully [gubernatorial candidate Vincent Sheheen] will have sent Nikki Haley back to wherever the hell she came from and this country can move forward," he had said Friday night at a state Democratic party event."

Asked about it afterwards, he said there was no racial connotation, but Haley's spokesman didn't sound happy about it:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 01:56:21 PM »

The South Carolina Democratic Party Chairman made comments Friday night that have drawn some criticism for elliptically referencing Haley's status as a minority and daughter of immigrants:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/04/dick-harpootlian-nikki-haley_n_3215857.html

"“In about 18 months from now, hopefully [gubernatorial candidate Vincent Sheheen] will have sent Nikki Haley back to wherever the hell she came from and this country can move forward," he had said Friday night at a state Democratic party event."

Asked about it afterwards, he said there was no racial connotation, but Haley's spokesman didn't sound happy about it:

Way to make us look like the better of two parties, Mr. Harpootlian. My gods you're a dick.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 02:27:07 PM »

Disgusting.  Of course, the South Carolina Democratic Party hasn't had any real credibility in years.

To be fair, though, I don't see any racial connotation in that comment.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2013, 02:33:18 PM »

I think it's a stretch to find anything racial in that comment. And even if it was, it's not like a comment like that is really all that foreign in South Carolina, a lot of people there would affirm it.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 03:03:09 PM »

I think it's a stretch to find anything racial in that comment. And even if it was, it's not like a comment like that is really all that foreign in South Carolina, a lot of people there would affirm it.

In no way does that make it right. Even if it wasn't racial, the man is still an asshole.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 03:21:45 PM »

In no way does that make it right. Even if it wasn't racial, the man is still an asshole.

I'm making the point that it's a stretch to call it a racial comment, I never made any judgments of right or wrong. I just don't see where there is racism in the comment.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 04:15:50 PM »

Right, because SO many people hate Indians or Indian Americans in South Carolina.  That must be why we elected her. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 09:35:33 AM »

I'm making the point that it's a stretch to call it a racial comment, I never made any judgments of right or wrong. I just don't see where there is racism in the comment.

It may or may not be "racist" in the sense that racial animus was intended.  But it's sure as heck "racially insensitive", so to speak.  Saying of someone who's a racial minority and the daughter of immigrants that she should be sent back to "wherever the hell she came from" is extremely inappropriate.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 12:09:25 PM »

Charleston is not a Republican county. Obama carried it twice, and Haley lost it in 2010. Graham would win here, but that's about it.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2013, 09:24:36 PM »

Haley suggested that she may not run again:

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 01:31:43 AM »

I was surprised by that. Hard to see how an open election makes it easier for Sheheen
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2013, 01:57:16 AM »

Haley suggested that she may not run again:

Does this really mean anything though?  The majority of governors who are up for reelection in 2014 haven't yet announced whether they're running.  Until they do announce, they'll often give these ambiguous answers, or answers that are designed to show that they're not in this job solely for their own personal ambition.  ("Oh, I don't know if I'm going to run again.  If I do, it's not because it helps *me*.  It would be because the people need me.")
njwes
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2013, 01:06:46 PM »

Shouldn't liberal Dems be disgusted by the fact that this female, minority politician is being challenged by a white male?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2013, 03:24:59 PM »

I saw recently that Haley is thinking about retiring.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2013, 04:32:57 PM »

I've heard that too. Pretty much the only candidate that could make the race easier for Sheheen is Mark Sanford, so I'm depressed.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2013, 04:48:15 PM »

I don't think she'll do it.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2013, 02:14:31 PM »

I've heard that too. Pretty much the only candidate that could make the race easier for Sheheen is Mark Sanford, so I'm depressed.
Sorry but I disagree with you. Maybe Haley is a bit unpopular but I suppose she's not hated so she will easily recover! So an open seat would be the best thing to happen. After all, I don't see the sc pubs nominating a decent republican!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2013, 10:54:30 PM »

Maybe Haley is a bit unpopular but I suppose she's not hated so she will easily recover! So an open seat would be the best thing to happen. After all, I don't see the sc pubs nominating a decent republican!
I don't think you'd consider any SC Republican decent, but the GOP has a deep bench.  There are several of the statewide officers who would have at worst no more difficulty than Haley in dealing with Sheheen.  That even includes our Attorney General.  Heck, if the Dems don't run someone against his dad this time I may just write in Alan Wilson to replace his father Joe as the Congressman from the second district.  Alan has proven to be surprisingly competent at his job considering who his father is.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2013, 12:14:09 PM »

Maybe Haley is a bit unpopular but I suppose she's not hated so she will easily recover! So an open seat would be the best thing to happen. After all, I don't see the sc pubs nominating a decent republican!
I don't think you'd consider any SC Republican decent, but the GOP has a deep bench.  There are several of the statewide officers who would have at worst no more difficulty than Haley in dealing with Sheheen.  That even includes our Attorney General.  Heck, if the Dems don't run someone against his dad this time I may just write in Alan Wilson to replace his father Joe as the Congressman from the second district.  Alan has proven to be surprisingly competent at his job considering who his father is.

I'm not a hard core democrat, I can find republicans decent. Lindsey Graham is decent for instance. But it's just I think that the tea party is currently dominating the south carolina gop. No one voted for the fiscal cliff deal for instance: http://politics.nytimes.com/congress/votes/112/house/2/659

http://www.fitsnews.com/2013/06/28/sources-tim-scott-will-run-if-nikki-haley-doesnt/
Is this  HP popular?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2013, 02:45:06 PM »

Nah, Will Folks couldn't get elected dog catcher here.  Oh, you mean Tim Scott, well yeah.  SCGOP was Tea Party before there was a Tea Party.  There's a reason why despite Graham's campaign warchest there's always talk of a primary challenge for him. Graham's on the left wing of the SCGOP.

By contrast, Scott's views are not outside the mainstream of the SCGOP and he has proven experience as a campaigner.  The only thing that would keep him from the governor's mansion if he were to run in 2014 or 2018 would be that being from the low country, he might have a harder time winning the nomination than would expected of a sitting Senator.  The core of the SCGOP is in the upstate and it's been over two decades since the Republican gubernatorial nominee came from there.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2014, 07:55:21 PM »

Sheheen isn't doing well as some expected. The race is probably still Lean/Likely R. I thought if he won this time, in 2016 he would be a possible veep contender for Hillary or whoever the Democratic nominee is due to his Southern appeal.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/08/28/3645341_poll-gov-nikki-haley-outpacing.html?rh=1
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies