NY-14: Goliath falls to OCASIO!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 10:04:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-14: Goliath falls to OCASIO!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29
Author Topic: NY-14: Goliath falls to OCASIO!  (Read 50152 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2018, 07:17:19 AM »

Was thinking about endorsing Ocasio-Cortez, but not after this.

It’s a safe-blue district, so it really doesn’t matter whether AOC or Crowley endorses their opponent or not.

That doesn't make her move less dickish.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2018, 08:00:59 AM »

Crowley just seems nicer, honestly. Cortez will signify a dramatic shift to the let and perpetuate a very hostile tone in the national environment. That said, it is better for Republicans for Cortez to win.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2018, 08:40:42 AM »

Was thinking about endorsing Ocasio-Cortez, but not after this.

It’s a safe-blue district, so it really doesn’t matter whether AOC or Crowley endorses their opponent or not.

That doesn't make her move less dickish.

Yeah not doing something as small as pledging to support the winner is bad form
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2018, 08:40:49 AM »

My guess is Crowley still wins 65-35. Ocasio-Cortez would be an amazing congresswoman but I feel like her momentum is too little, too late.

And what's so amazing about her??? Besides gender and Hispanic name...

Because she’s a progressive actually willing to fix the fundamentals problems of our declining middle class and growing gap between rich and poor.

So, only progressives are allowed to serve as Democratic congressmembers? With such "ideological purity" forget about House majority then - there are simply not enough such districts. Besides - i was (and IS) never a fan of wild-eyed idealists...

When did he say that? Just because you have a fetish for dull machine hacks and partisan drones doesn't mean every person on the country is obliged to love them as well.

I never ask for somebody's "love" for "my" candidates - first. I am absolutely "anti-party" (at least - anti-present-parties as they are) - that's second. But if someone uses term "amazing" - i expect some more, then lleft-wing (in this case) loony...

NY-14 is a D+29 district. They can definitely afford to have an actually progressive rep. And what makes you think she's a loony?

Well, it CAN. But - not neccessarily MUST. Again - let's people of the district decide, and let no one tries to impose it's opinion about who is better on them. That's all i want.

About your second question - i never read on this forum about her other "virtues" besides "being progressive", and most of the "progressives" i met during my stay in US belonged to "loony" category. To be honest - most of the ultraconservatives i met belonged to this category as well...
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2018, 11:51:58 AM »

My guess is Crowley still wins 65-35. Ocasio-Cortez would be an amazing congresswoman but I feel like her momentum is too little, too late.

Because she’s a progressive actually willing to fix the fundamentals problems of our declining middle class and growing gap between rich and poor.

So, only progressives are allowed to serve as Democratic congressmembers? With such "ideological purity" forget about House majority then - there are simply not enough such districts. Besides - i was (and IS) never a fan of wild-eyed idealists...

Ideally, the most progressive person electable should be serving in each congressional seat the Dems hold. This is a safe D seat so there's no reason why this district can't send AOC instead of Crowley. Politics isn't a joke and we shoudln't be electing moderates for the sake of moderates in safe districts. If that is what you consider a big or small tent, so be it but that gives the Dems in the best position to enact real policy changes to fix the mess we're in right now.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2018, 12:00:15 PM »

I prefer Crowley over AOC because of factors X mentioned.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2018, 12:26:15 PM »

When did he say that? Just because you have a fetish for dull machine hacks and partisan drones doesn't mean every person on the country is obliged to love them as well.

I never ask for somebody's "love" for "my" candidates - first. I am absolutely "anti-party" (at least - anti-present-parties as they are) - that's second. But if someone uses term "amazing" - i expect some more, then lleft-wing (in this case) loony...

NY-14 is a D+29 district. They can definitely afford to have an actually progressive rep. And what makes you think she's a loony?

Well, it CAN. But - not neccessarily MUST. Again - let's people of the district decide, and let no one tries to impose it's opinion about who is better on them. That's all i want.

About your second question - i never read on this forum about her other "virtues" besides "being progressive", and most of the "progressives" i met during my stay in US belonged to "loony" category. To be honest - most of the ultraconservatives i met belonged to this category as well...

What you seem not to understand is that normal people have preferences about policy outcomes and would like to see candidates who are more likely to achieve those outcomes elected. A baffling notion, I know.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2018, 12:30:43 PM »

Crowley just seems nicer, honestly. Cortez will signify a dramatic shift to the let and perpetuate a very hostile tone in the national environment. That said, it is better for Republicans for Cortez to win.
who in the hell cares about being nice???
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #133 on: June 19, 2018, 12:48:16 PM »

A lot of these "woke" progressive challengers seem mean and entitled they run on identity and cast anyone against them as racist or prejudice.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #134 on: June 19, 2018, 03:12:21 PM »

Well, it's a D+29 district, so no harm in having her run as a 3rd party.

A lot of these "woke" progressive challengers seem mean and entitled they run on identity and cast anyone against them as racist or prejudice.

That's some amazing projection from the wing who blamed Hillary's loss on sexism and racism.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #135 on: June 19, 2018, 03:53:17 PM »

White male centrists run on identity all the time. How many times has the non-white Democratic base been told to support bland white males who speak in platitudes on racism and classism because they are "more electable"?

And she hasn't been running on her identity. She acknowledged her mother was Puerto Rican once. Oh the horror.

Meanwhile I've seen White politicians say "I'm Greek/German/Italian/Jewish/Polish etc." all the time but somehow they aren't running on identity. LOL.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #136 on: June 19, 2018, 03:56:30 PM »

And what makes you think she's a loony?
Any non-white candidate is considered "loony" and "far left" by him. He wants to say we are only supporting candidates because of identity but he dismisses a candidate's viability and knowledge of the issues the moment he sees they are not a white man.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #137 on: June 19, 2018, 03:57:41 PM »

And what makes you think she's a loony?
Any non-white female candidate is considered "loony" and "far left" by him. He wants to say we are only supporting candidates because of identity but he dismisses a candidate's viability and knowledge of the issues the moment he sees they are not a white man.

FTFY
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #138 on: June 19, 2018, 04:19:58 PM »

White male centrists run on identity all the time. How many times has the non-white Democratic base been told to support bland white males who speak in platitudes on racism and classism because they are "more electable"?

And she hasn't been running on her identity. She acknowledged her mother was Puerto Rican once. Oh the horror.

Meanwhile I've seen White politicians say "I'm Greek/German/Italian/Jewish/Polish etc." all the time but somehow they aren't running on identity. LOL.

I haven’t followed this race closely but I get the sense that the identitarian aspects of her candidacy (whether for or against) are emphasized more by people outside the 14th than within it
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #139 on: June 19, 2018, 07:51:15 PM »

It's the establishment who are the purity trolls who do their best to make sure that progressives aren't elected.

I cannot contain my laughter at the irony on display here.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #140 on: June 19, 2018, 08:34:19 PM »

It's the establishment who are the purity trolls who do their best to make sure that progressives aren't elected.

I cannot contain my laughter at the irony on display here.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #141 on: June 20, 2018, 05:43:48 AM »
« Edited: June 20, 2018, 05:49:23 AM by Jeppe »

The NYT’s editorial board is criticizing Crowley for sending in a surrogate to debate AOC in his place, even though he was in the area.

“Instead of attending Monday evening’s debate, which was hosted by The Parkchester Times, Mr. Crowley visited a civic association meeting in Queens. Ms. Ocasio-Cortez was left to debate Mr. Crowley’s chosen surrogate, Ms. Palma. Ms. Palma once represented the Bronx on the City Council and now serves in Mayor Bill de Blasio’s administration as a deputy commissioner at the Department of Social Services.

Mr. Crowley’s constituents might well now wonder whether he intends, if re-elected, to have Ms. Palma make his floor speeches and cast his votes as well.”

Lol.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #142 on: June 20, 2018, 06:58:57 AM »

He sent a surrogate to a debate? That's just pathetic.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #143 on: June 20, 2018, 09:08:59 AM »

Man he’s trying to lose isn’t he
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2018, 09:26:29 AM »

Yeah that's a major self-inflicted wound.

I was kind of displeased with the whole sore-loser thing with Ocasio-Cortez not committing to endorse Crowley if he won; but that's nothing compared to being so stuck up you send a surrogate to debate your opponent.

I must say I’m starting to not care for either of them. Both display the worst impulses of the respective wings of the Democratic Party they hail from.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2018, 09:29:53 AM »

Yeah that's a major self-inflicted wound.

I was kind of displeased with the whole sore-loser thing with Ocasio-Cortez not committing to endorse Crowley if he won; but that's nothing compared to being so stuck up you send a surrogate to debate your opponent.

I must say I’m starting to not care for either of them. Both display the worst impulses of the respective wings of the Democratic Party they hail from.

This
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2018, 09:51:05 AM »

I am not a biggest fan of Crowley, BTW, but it seems his opponent is flawed too. In such cases i prefer "a known quantity", which, in this case, is Crowley. But, again, it's for the people of this district to decide.
BBD
Big Bad Don

« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2018, 10:07:56 AM »

He's still going to win, but it would be nice to get a shockingly close result.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2018, 07:18:53 PM »

Crowley paid Global Strategy Group $22,000 for polling in mid-May but he never released the results.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2018, 10:52:06 PM »

Crowley paid Global Strategy Group $22,000 for polling in mid-May but he never released the results.

Now THAT is something.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies