Monarchs who reigned for their entire lifespans? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 08:34:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Monarchs who reigned for their entire lifespans? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Monarchs who reigned for their entire lifespans?  (Read 1485 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: September 19, 2019, 10:37:38 PM »

The only ways for this to happen (at least, the only ways that I can think of) are for an heir to be conceived prior to the death of a king/emperor/whatever but born after that death, or for a queen/empress/whatever regnant to die in childbirth. I know of two cases of the former, Jean I of France and Alfonso XIII of Spain, both of whom were indeed king from birth; however, Jean I died less than a week after he was born, and Alfonso XIII was overthrown late in his life and therefore was born King of Spain but did not die King of Spain. Nevertheless, Jean I was King of France from his birth until his death, even though that span of time turned out to be very short.

Any other examples?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 07:57:30 PM »

Mary Queen of Scots became Queen at 6 days old. While she formally abdicated before her death, it was evidently forced and for Jacobites, generally not recognised. Also I wouldn't be suprised if James V had actually died before she was born but there was some political delay in relaying the news.

Good example; I hadn't been aware that it was possible that James V had died before her birth.

I guess you could also say of Alfonso XIII that his deposition wasn't universally accepted, but by the time he died most of his erstwhile supporters had entered Francoworld instead, whereas MQOS still had an organized political movement insisting that she had died the legitimate queen of both Scotland and England well into the eighteenth century.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 12:06:24 AM »

King James VI and I was King from the day of birth until death.

No he wasn't. He was already a year old when his mother abdicated.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies