Chicago Megathread: With CTU on strike, Lightfoot lays out her budget
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 09:32:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Chicago Megathread: With CTU on strike, Lightfoot lays out her budget
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 25
Author Topic: Chicago Megathread: With CTU on strike, Lightfoot lays out her budget  (Read 36903 times)
LoneStarDem
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: March 17, 2019, 12:22:28 PM »

I see Garcia has a Vendetta against Preckwinkle.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #401 on: March 17, 2019, 10:51:06 PM »

Why did it have to come down to these people, out of all that were running.

I wanted Wilson, or Joyce at least. Even Daley would be acceptable. But it had to come down to my least favorite candidates.

I'm staying home for the second round.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #402 on: March 18, 2019, 07:03:44 AM »

I wanted Wilson, or Joyce at least. Even Daley would be acceptable. But it had to come down to my least favorite candidates.

Lol ok. People like them have been mayor for the last 30 years. Time for something new.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #403 on: March 18, 2019, 08:41:37 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2019, 09:30:54 AM by PSOL »

I had a discussion over the candidates with a close friend, and he came up with several good points as to why Toni Preckwinkle is a safer choice for mayor. He says the coalesceing endorsements and anti-establishment sentiment around the Lightfoot campaign reminds him of Blagojevich’s early campaign for governor in 2002. Now I wasn’t aware much at the time, nor of the mood of the general situation, but the thought is a scary one. Perhaps sticking with the devil we all know is a safer bet, lest we end up with a wildcard mayoralship?
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #404 on: March 18, 2019, 08:46:25 AM »

Lol ok. People like them have been mayor for the last 30 years. Time for something new.

Nah
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #405 on: March 18, 2019, 09:44:20 AM »

I had a discussion over the candidates with a close friend, and he came up with several good points as to why Toni Preckwinkle is a safer choice for mayor. He says the coalesceing endorsements and anti-establishment sentiment around the Lightfoot campaign reminds him of Blagojevich’s early campaign for governor in 2002. Now I wasn’t aware much at the time, nor of the mood of the general situation, but the thought is a scary one. Perhaps sticking with the devil we all know is a safer bet, lest we end up with a wildcard mayoralship?

Certainly not defending Blagojevich’s actions, which were illegal and unethical, but your friend should know that Blago was just the idiot that got caught. Madigan, Burke, Vrdolyak, Berrios, etc etc, all of whom are closely allied with Toni Preckwinkle, have done just as much if not worse than Blago did. Blago did it without the smarts and the protection, so he went to prison.

They’ve all just barely skirted jail time due to technicalities and toeing the line. Thankfully it looks like Burke and Vrdolyak’s time are finally coming to roost, though Lord knows shaking down a Burger King is the least of Burke’s sins in his long career.

So while there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that Lightfoot would engage in the corruption that Blago did, there is evidence that Preckwinkle could get away with it if she did, based on the people that she has surrounded herself with.

Not to mention the fact that she has no ethics reform plan available on her website and she does not favor limiting aldermanic privilege nor aldermanic and mayoral term limits. Lightfoot favors both and has a comprehensive ethics reform plan.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #406 on: March 18, 2019, 11:31:40 AM »

Certainly not defending Blagojevich’s actions, which were illegal and unethical, but your friend should know that Blago was just the idiot that got caught. Madigan, Burke, Vrdolyak, Berrios, etc etc, all of whom are closely allied with Toni Preckwinkle, have done just as much if not worse than Blago did. Blago did it without the smarts and the protection, so he went to prison.

They’ve all just barely skirted jail time due to technicalities and toeing the line. Thankfully it looks like Burke and Vrdolyak’s time are finally coming to roost, though Lord knows shaking down a Burger King is the least of Burke’s sins in his long career.

So while there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that Lightfoot would engage in the corruption that Blago did, there is evidence that Preckwinkle could get away with it if she did, based on the people that she has surrounded herself with.

Not to mention the fact that she has no ethics reform plan available on her website and she does not favor limiting aldermanic privilege nor aldermanic and mayoral term limits. Lightfoot favors both and has a comprehensive ethics reform plan.
It does seem unlikely, yes. But there could also be a possibility for her to disregard her campaign promises and start aligning with Burke & Co. She didn’t disregard and deny the endorsements of Gery Chico and O’Shea, famed Machine politicians. I’m just saying be prepared for anything with her.

Meanwhile, on election news, Loghtfoot hit with liens for unpaid taxes. This could be extremely damaging for her anti-corruption image.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #407 on: March 18, 2019, 11:49:40 AM »

It does seem unlikely, yes. But there could also be a possibility for her to disregard her campaign promises and start aligning with Burke & Co. She didn’t disregard and deny the endorsements of Gery Chico and O’Shea, famed Machine politicians. I’m just saying be prepared for anything with her.

Meanwhile, on election news, Loghtfoot hit with liens for unpaid taxes. This could be extremely damaging for her anti-corruption image.

Sure, there is an element of the unknown on Lightfoot since she has never been an elected official before. That said, we already know that Preckwinkle is closely allied with all of the worst elements of Chicago politics. Ed Burke raised $116,000 for her re-election, for cryin’ out loud. And never forget that she wouldn’t even put Fritz Kaegi on the Party’s November sample ballot after he beat Joe Berrios.

As for the liens, I think it’s a non-story. I don’t see how it is relevant to her anti-corruption image. The Sun Times also did a story this morning on domestic disputes at Preckwinkle’s condo (where her son lives) that I think is a non-story as well. However, the story about Toni did explain how her son has been charged several times and always gotten off with a presiding judge that was a Preckwinkle ally. Welcome to Chicago.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #408 on: March 18, 2019, 05:08:16 PM »

Wilson was awesome dude, but he was pretty racially divisive IMO. Personally, I would have been a tossup between Daley and Joyce.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #409 on: March 18, 2019, 11:28:57 PM »

I find it hilarious that Jenaette Taylor stole Bobby Jindal's logo

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #410 on: March 19, 2019, 08:46:47 AM »

Someone is distributing hateful leaflets on cars outside of black churches

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/03/18/anti-gay-flyers-in-chicago-mayors-race/
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #411 on: March 19, 2019, 09:16:27 AM »

I find it hilarious that Jenaette Taylor stole Bobby Jindal's logo

Pathetic. Well, it's not like Bobby Jindal has anything to lose anymore.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #412 on: March 20, 2019, 11:55:56 AM »

Rep. Danny K. Davis endorsed Preckwinkle just recently on her being the most experienced candidate to run the city. In the endorsement he highlights that while Lightfoot isn’t a bad pick, she has never been elected to office, and doesn’t know how to properly handle the pension crisis.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #413 on: March 20, 2019, 12:18:45 PM »

Preckwinkle has pulled her ads. Feels like it's over
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #414 on: March 20, 2019, 12:49:30 PM »

Preckwinkle has pulled her ads. Feels like it's over

Yep. The questions is, though - what does she want to save the money for? The consensus seems to be that this is her last term as President. Saving it to dump off to Foxx and other allies (like Rahm has done)? I hope so, since the regressives seem to have it out for Foxx in 2020.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #415 on: March 20, 2019, 07:55:12 PM »

Chance the Rapper will hold a press conference on the mayoral race tomorrow

https://twitter.com/chancetherapper/status/1108512523572166658

My gut tells me he'll endorse Toni.

Toni lands endorsement of Patrick Daley Thompson

https://twitter.com/MaryAnnAhernNBC/status/1108531315144568833

Yuck - though, Lori has had her share of "yuck" endorsements, too
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #416 on: March 20, 2019, 08:49:38 PM »

Is the African-American vote going to probably be in the Preckwinkle camp, or is it a tossup with Willie’s endorsement of Lightfoot?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #417 on: March 20, 2019, 11:56:48 PM »

Patrick "Daley" Thompson would have his grandpa turning in his grave.  What a shame!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #418 on: March 21, 2019, 12:22:26 AM »

Patrick "Daley" Thompson would have his grandpa turning in his grave.  What a shame!

Eh, if they pull this off, I think Richard J. would be a little impressed. Until recently, if the County Presidency is vacant (as it would be if Preckwinkle wins), it automatically passes to the President pro tem, currently Deborah Sims. In December, the county changed the law so that the board would pick a new President from among its members.

The ordinance making the change was sponsored by John P. Daley, who's been on the board long enough and has enough friends that he should be a shoo-in for the Presidency — if Preckwinkle vacates it. Admittedly, it's not the Mayor's job, but with Bill out of the race, it's not a bad consolation prize.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #419 on: March 21, 2019, 07:03:16 AM »

Patrick "Daley" Thompson would have his grandpa turning in his grave.  What a shame!

Eh, if they pull this off, I think Richard J. would be a little impressed. Until recently, if the County Presidency is vacant (as it would be if Preckwinkle wins), it automatically passes to the President pro tem, currently Deborah Sims. In December, the county changed the law so that the board would pick a new President from among its members.

The ordinance making the change was sponsored by John P. Daley, who's been on the board long enough and has enough friends that he should be a shoo-in for the Presidency — if Preckwinkle vacates it. Admittedly, it's not the Mayor's job, but with Bill out of the race, it's not a bad consolation prize.

Even more yuck. Thanks for this - I didn't realize.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #420 on: March 21, 2019, 07:04:35 AM »

Is the African-American vote going to probably be in the Preckwinkle camp, or is it a tossup with Willie’s endorsement of Lightfoot?

I anticipate that Toni will still take the black wards, but that it will be closer due to Wilson's endorsement.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #421 on: March 21, 2019, 07:38:47 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2019, 07:43:01 AM by Mr. Illini »

Todd Stroger endorses Preckwinkle. Talk about full circle.

Angling for an appointment, or hoping to run for his old seat and needing her out of the way?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #422 on: March 21, 2019, 12:54:35 PM »

Speaking of full circle...

Rumblings of OBAMA for Preckwinkle soon -- Jarrett, Tchen, Bennett pressuring him to endorse. Preckwinkle notably endorsed him in his first bid for State Senator and his doomed race against Bobby Rush in 2000, so this would be returning the favor.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #423 on: March 21, 2019, 03:22:11 PM »

Speaking of full circle...

Rumblings of OBAMA for Preckwinkle soon -- Jarrett, Tchen, Bennett pressuring him to endorse. Preckwinkle notably endorsed him in his first bid for State Senator and his doomed race against Bobby Rush in 2000, so this would be returning the favor.

I’ve heard that Preckwinkle folks are reaching out, but not heard any rumors he has decided to do so.

Remember, they had a falling out much later, around the time he decided to run for Prez. He did endorse her for President last year, though.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #424 on: March 21, 2019, 03:23:24 PM »

I anticipate that Toni will still take the black wards, but that it will be closer due to Wilson's endorsement.
Indeed he did.

Even still, it will take Obama’s nomination to push Toni Preckwinkle’s campaign in her favor, much less a tossup. I’m just dying to see a poll if this all unravels this late in the race, what an epic climax from the boring middle-end.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies