Chicago Megathread: With CTU on strike, Lightfoot lays out her budget
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 02:35:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Chicago Megathread: With CTU on strike, Lightfoot lays out her budget
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25
Author Topic: Chicago Megathread: With CTU on strike, Lightfoot lays out her budget  (Read 36907 times)
Duke of York

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: March 04, 2019, 03:52:39 PM »

Stand for Children tossing in with Lightfoot is... yikes

Why yikes?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #326 on: March 04, 2019, 04:58:09 PM »

Stand for Children is a front group funded by the usual suspects -- the Waltons, the Gates and, closer to home, the Crowns, the Pritzkers, and the Kenneth C. Griffin. It exists to break unions.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #327 on: March 07, 2019, 08:53:38 AM »

First debate happening tonight at 6pm on NBC5

https://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/chicago-mayor-debate-watch-live-506759251.html

Second was scheduled for tomorrow, hosted by the Sun Times, but Preckwinkle backed out (the ed board endorsed Lightfoot)

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/sun-times-cancels-mayoral-debate-preckwinkle-noncommittal-lightfoot/
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #328 on: March 07, 2019, 06:28:57 PM »

I dont like Lori’s transportation policy.  Its all about buses, not innovative.  I hate BRT.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #329 on: March 07, 2019, 06:34:15 PM »

I dont like Lori’s transportation policy.  Its all about buses, not innovative.  I hate BRT.
So are you voting for Toni?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #330 on: March 07, 2019, 09:54:54 PM »

We're only about a week in and I am already so worn out from this runoff
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #331 on: March 07, 2019, 10:48:39 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2019, 11:02:02 PM by Mr. Illini »

In the first debate, Preckwinkle was asked about backing of Berrios, alliance with Burke, and hiring Burke's son to patronage job. She deflects by saying that when she talks to people, they want to talk about their own neighborhoods.

This is exactly the type of maneuvering that has allowed the corruption to reign in this city for so long. As long as the streets are clean, snow plowed, garbage picked up, the leaders get to do what they want and will continue to get re-elected.

Preckwinkle's responses on corruption and efficiency in city government put such a horrible taste in my mouth.

Like I said, I'm already feeling pretty worn out.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #332 on: March 07, 2019, 11:11:20 PM »

what a dumb and boring debate. Toni Preckwinkle says she's a "real Chicagoan" because she's a Sox fan and likes the lake, as if she hasn't lived here since the 60s. I forget what song Lightfoot likes but I don't really care. Just a random string of questions with questionable relevance, and the moderators pressed them on nothing.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #333 on: March 08, 2019, 12:53:26 AM »

No, I am leaning towards Lori.  Both are horrible - I predict record low turnout in this runoff.  300,00 or less.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #334 on: March 08, 2019, 12:55:16 AM »

Is LightFoot a White Sox fan too?  The city always does better under Mayors who are Sox fans, not suprisingly.  I'm glad to hear that Toni is a Sox fan, means a lot!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #335 on: March 08, 2019, 02:08:36 AM »

Is LightFoot a White Sox fan too?  The city always does better under Mayors who are Sox fans, not suprisingly.  I'm glad to hear that Toni is a Sox fan, means a lot!

Yes, Lightfoot's a season ticket holder. I did appreciate the realization that, no matter who wins, at least we've avoided the nightmare scenario: a Cubs fan as mayor.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #336 on: March 08, 2019, 08:43:40 AM »

No, I am leaning towards Lori.  Both are horrible - I predict record low turnout in this runoff.  300,00 or less.

Most Chicago voters aren't like you, Green Line
RedPrometheus

« Reply #337 on: March 08, 2019, 08:44:29 AM »

Why are both horrible?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #338 on: March 08, 2019, 08:45:33 AM »

what a dumb and boring debate. Toni Preckwinkle says she's a "real Chicagoan" because she's a Sox fan and likes the lake, as if she hasn't lived here since the 60s. I forget what song Lightfoot likes but I don't really care. Just a random string of questions with questionable relevance, and the moderators pressed them on nothing.

The worst part was the discussion about traffic annoyances. And then to try to follow it up with a question about whether police should be diverted to address the traffic annoyances. Bizarre and unproductive segment.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #339 on: March 08, 2019, 11:55:13 AM »

Willie Wilson endorses Light FOOT.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/elections/ct-met-chicago-mayors-race-willie-wilson-endorsement-20190308-story.html

This ballgame is ova.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #340 on: March 08, 2019, 01:06:24 PM »

Father Pfleger gave an apparent endorsement on Facebook as well.

Those two carry massive weight in the black community.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #341 on: March 08, 2019, 04:23:43 PM »

Has Mendoza endorsed anybody ?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #342 on: March 08, 2019, 06:42:23 PM »

Father Pfleger gave an apparent endorsement on Facebook as well.

Those two carry massive weight in the black community.

Pfleger’s Facebook page confirmed he’s endorsing Lightfoot. Latino Leadership Council also announced endorsement of Lightfoot.

What a week for her campaign.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #343 on: March 08, 2019, 06:48:59 PM »

After a surprising first round, the race becomes a slow burner with Lori Lightfoot just gathering endorsement after endorsement. The best thing that makes up for an easy race is that Mayor Lightfoot will have a very smooth transition to power, having the people’s support over the remaining dump of the local machine. I’m still at awe how something like this could be possible, especially with historically terrible turnout across the board.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #344 on: March 08, 2019, 07:18:03 PM »

I’m still at awe how something like this could be possible, especially with historically terrible turnout across the board.

wouldn't you think low turnout would favor the candidate preferred by the groups with the highest turnout rates (ie white liberals)?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #345 on: March 08, 2019, 07:24:29 PM »

I’m still at awe how something like this could be possible, especially with historically terrible turnout across the board.

wouldn't you think low turnout would favor the candidate preferred by the groups with the highest turnout rates (ie white liberals)?
I guess, I thought that Conservatives would push it to be a Lightfoot v.s. Daley race.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #346 on: March 08, 2019, 07:43:29 PM »

I guess, I thought that Conservatives would push it to be a Lightfoot v.s. Daley race.

There aren't very many conservatives. The fact is that Rahm won a lot of white liberal votes both times.

Daley had no path if he wasn't going to win with Latinx voters or white north siders. Add to it that he didn't even lock down the GIVEN - the far NW and SW sides. Joyce took a lot of those voters.

A true Jeb-like collapse.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #347 on: March 08, 2019, 08:02:23 PM »

There aren't very many conservatives. The fact is that Rahm won a lot of white liberal votes both times.

Daley had no path if he wasn't going to win with Latinx voters or white north siders. Add to it that he didn't even lock down the GIVEN - the far NW and SW sides. Joyce took a lot of those voters.

A true Jeb-like collapse.
He spent almost double what the next highest candidate spent.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #348 on: March 10, 2019, 10:49:23 AM »

Debate schedule set...

March 20: ABC

March 21: WTTW

March 25: WGN

March 26: FOX

March 27: CBS

Additionally, the Tribune E Board will interview the candidates on March 12 and WBEZ will host a debate on March 29.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #349 on: March 10, 2019, 03:39:13 PM »

believe this is twice as many as Pritzker and Rauner did
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies