538 Model Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 05:57:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  538 Model Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 49
Author Topic: 538 Model Megathread  (Read 84324 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: November 01, 2016, 02:43:28 PM »

Nothing to see here. The email news will have no impact whatsoever. The Baghdad Bobs told me so. Roll Eyes
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #901 on: November 01, 2016, 02:47:52 PM »

It doesn't make any sense to only rate the accuracy of the various models on the basis of the predictions they're making on election day itself.  The models also make predictions a week before election day, a month before election day, four months before election day, etc.  The model that's most accurate on election day itself might not be the most accurate a month out.  And I think it's more interesting to look at accuracy from a month out or a week out.  After all, if you've already reached election day, then how accurate your model is is no longer a very interesting question, as you're going to know the results in a few hours anyway.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #902 on: November 01, 2016, 02:55:11 PM »

It doesn't make any sense to only rate the accuracy of the various models on the basis of the predictions they're making on election day itself.  The models also make predictions a week before election day, a month before election day, four months before election day, etc.  The model that's most accurate on election day itself might not be the most accurate a month out.  And I think it's more interesting to look at accuracy from a month out or a week out.  After all, if you've already reached election day, then how accurate your model is is no longer a very interesting question, as you're going to know the results in a few hours anyway.

This is one thing I've been wondering a lot about. I think somebody needs to develop a methodology for measuring time-based performance of these models. I've thought that maybe one metric would be showing how long before the election the model decided a correct outcome was more likely than not and didn't shift back. That has the disadvantage of treating anything over 50% as a "call," but it would be illustrative, I think. If one model wound up saying Florida was 50.3% for Obama, but half a day earlier had said it was 50.2% for Romney, then that's not a very valuable call. But if it had said for two weeks that it was likelier than not to go for Obama, we could have some more confidence in it as a predictive model.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #903 on: November 01, 2016, 03:36:37 PM »

This is one thing I've been wondering a lot about. I think somebody needs to develop a methodology for measuring time-based performance of these models. I've thought that maybe one metric would be showing how long before the election the model decided a correct outcome was more likely than not and didn't shift back. That has the disadvantage of treating anything over 50% as a "call," but it would be illustrative, I think. If one model wound up saying Florida was 50.3% for Obama, but half a day earlier had said it was 50.2% for Romney, then that's not a very valuable call. But if it had said for two weeks that it was likelier than not to go for Obama, we could have some more confidence in it as a predictive model.

The obvious way to measure the accuracy of the models as a function of time is to take, at each time interval, all of the races that the model thinks one candidate is favored in 50-60% of the time and check if the favorite does indeed win 50-60% of the time, then the same where the model has someone as a 60-70% favorite, a 70-80% favorite, etc.  Do the probabilities at a week out match the outcomes?  Or a month out?  Or whatever time interval you want.
Donnie

« Reply #904 on: November 01, 2016, 03:47:55 PM »

NC just flipped to Trump on polls-plus.
Ozymandias

« Reply #905 on: November 01, 2016, 04:00:13 PM »

This is a pretty cool animated gif:

Josh Katz ‏@jshkatz  17m17 minutes ago
Clinton win chances over the past three months, forecast by forecast

https://twitter.com/jshkatz/status/793553664724140032
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #906 on: November 02, 2016, 08:42:55 AM »

Florida is back to Daddy in Now-Cast!

Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #907 on: November 02, 2016, 08:44:07 AM »

Seeing a Trump fan call him Daddy is the creepiest thing I've seen all week, so thanks for that.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #908 on: November 02, 2016, 08:45:20 AM »

Seeing a Trump fan call him Daddy is the creepiest thing I've seen all week, so thanks for that.

Pretty much.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #909 on: November 02, 2016, 08:51:13 AM »

Pretty much.

Young men in desperate need of a "cool" father figure makes up 90% of Trump's online support.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #910 on: November 02, 2016, 08:54:21 AM »

Choo choo...trump trump trump trump trump trump....choo choo.

Here comes the Atlas Forum's worst nightmare.

31% and rising.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #911 on: November 02, 2016, 08:55:01 AM »

Pretty much.

Young angry white men in desperate need of a "cool" father figure makes up 90% of Trump's online support.
Fixed for you.

Choo choo...trump trump trump trump trump trump....choo choo.
Here comes the Atlas Forum's worst nightmare.
31% and rising.

But they'll rather discuss something else. Bubbbbbbble... Boom
elcorazon

« Reply #912 on: November 02, 2016, 08:57:02 AM »

I'm ashamed of this country
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #913 on: November 02, 2016, 08:57:16 AM »

Pretty much.

Young angry white men in desperate need of a "cool" father figure makes up 90% of Trump's online support.
Fixed for you.

We're on the internet, so I didn't think that I really needed to qualify those obvious parts.
StatesPoll
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #914 on: November 02, 2016, 08:59:01 AM »

few weeks ago,
One of Red Avatar said, "Nate Silver is a GOP Operative."

I couldn't stop laughing.

Nate Silver is a liberal man and pro-HRC!!!!

100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #915 on: November 02, 2016, 09:23:29 AM »

ME-02 flips back to Trump in all three models.  In polls-plus and nowcast, he is nearing having every state in the 266 back in his column.  His chances are nearing 30 in his best freiwal states (Colorado and New Hampshire), and in the 20s in several more.  A good PA or WI poll today would do wonders.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #916 on: November 02, 2016, 01:00:13 PM »

Nowcast has NV FL NC OH IA all leaning Trump.  Some by the narrowest of margins of course.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #917 on: November 02, 2016, 01:04:08 PM »

Nowcast has NV FL NC OH IA all leaning Trump.  Some by the narrowest of margins of course.

Input garbage, output garbage. Only Nate could have his model claim Trump's leading NV and then release an article about how Clinton is likely to exceed her already positive NV polls.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #918 on: November 02, 2016, 01:05:04 PM »

Input garbage, output garbage. Only Nate could have his model claim Trump's leading NV and then release an article about how Clinton is likely to exceed her already positive NV polls.
Sabato may be more accurate this time.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #919 on: November 02, 2016, 01:05:33 PM »

The primary broke Nate.

Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #920 on: November 02, 2016, 01:06:55 PM »

The primary broke Nate.

The fact that he's resorting to quoting political futures markets to back his models is telling. Also the fact that he's basing his uncertainty on polling data going back to 1972 betrays that he really still wants the lesson of the primary to have been that nobody can know a thing, rather than that he just got it wrong.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #921 on: November 02, 2016, 01:07:20 PM »

Clinton's odds are now lower than the Senate Democrats' odds.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #922 on: November 02, 2016, 01:09:43 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2016, 01:13:45 PM by Happy Sad Trumpista »

Lol. Model is basically the same as 2012..

Bad polls? I recall Nate mentioned what would be the diff live-polls (often A rating) vs others. The difference was not big. Probably. It would show Trump 25% vs now 30% Roll Eyes
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #923 on: November 02, 2016, 01:11:50 PM »

Good thing the quality of polls and the nature of the electorate are the same as 2012.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #924 on: November 02, 2016, 01:17:27 PM »

Sigh... So far other model eventually followed 538. In balance Upshot gives 5-10% less chances to Trump. But averages number nationally/states are ~the same.

But I give up. Othervise, mods would ban for repetitive posts (it was the same displeasure among Atlas last time Trump surged in polls) Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies