Are embedded congressional districts illegal? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:14:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Are embedded congressional districts illegal? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are embedded congressional districts illegal?  (Read 1708 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: January 13, 2021, 06:20:32 PM »

I mean, this depends a lot on the circumstances, but you'd essencially need a lot of things to happen at the same time. The textbook example like others have mentioned would be if Colorado somehow had only 2 seats, though there are definitely more at the state legislative level.

Trying to think at my times when doing redistricting and experimenting a bit, some donut districts that can be at least somewhat justified (even when other options are 100% better) include (only doing the western half of the US):

>Albuquerque vs Northeast New Mexico
>Colorado Springs vs Southeast Colorado (takes the Denver suburban county of Douglas, so far from an ideal solution)
>Tulsa vs eastern Oklahoma (this can easily be avoided by taking a different set of suburbs, but the donut district is not exactly horrible)

Like I said, a donut district is often not the most ideal solution. However a donut district is not an automatically bad district, it's just a kind of district that is hard to justify. It can be done depending on circumstances, but it needs to be in the right place, with the right population distribution
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies