Man chokes out mentally ill street performer for 15 minutes, NYPD lets him off (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 11:23:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Man chokes out mentally ill street performer for 15 minutes, NYPD lets him off (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Man chokes out mentally ill street performer for 15 minutes, NYPD lets him off  (Read 5455 times)
Jeffster
« on: May 05, 2023, 01:37:51 AM »
« edited: May 05, 2023, 09:05:26 AM by Jeffster »

Maybe it’s different in New York, but I’ve been riding the CTA to work for almost 10 years. I’ve seen a lot of homeless and mentally ill people riding along with me, and while they may make some people uncomfortable, I’ve never seen them hurt anyone.

There has been an uptick in the number of these folks riding the train, but there were plenty pre-pandemic. The media hysteria over crime is newer, though, and it is driving a lot of their viewers insane.

But Jordan Neely has already hurt people on the subway. He sucker punched a 67 year old woman in the face on the subway, and had three separate assaults against women on the subway between 2019 and 2021. So this idea that he was just some gentle Michael Jackson impersonator is a lie. Also, after demanding food from the people on this particular train, he said he will hurt anyone on the train, and that he isn't afraid to go to prison for life and is not afraid to die. Screaming stuff like that while acting aggressive towards people will be taken by most people as a threat. And it was three men who tried to subdue him, with one of those men holding Neely's hands on the video clearly being a black man, so it wasn't some racist event. I doubt they intended him to die, that was an accident, but they were definitely in the right to take someone down to the ground who was threatening people.

Edit just to add receipts:
"Neely immediately launched into an aggressive rant about being “fed up and hungry” and “tired of having nothing,” Vazquez said.

Vazquez quoted Neely as saying: “I don’t care if I die. I don’t care if I go to jail. I don’t have any food … I’m done.”

Neely then took off his coat and threw it on the floor and said he was ready to go to jail and get a life sentence, Vazquez said."

"He had a history of encounters with the NYPD, a law enforcement source told CNN’s John Miller, including 42 arrests on charges including petit larceny, jumping subway turnstiles, theft, and three unprovoked assaults on women in the subway between 2019 and 2021.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/04/us/new-york-subway-chokehold-death/index.html

"Witnesses and law enforcement sources said Neely got on the train and started acting very aggressively toward other riders, threatening to harm them. Police sources told NBC New York that Neely told riders on the train that he wanted food, that he wasn't taking no for an answer, and that he would hurt anyone on the train."

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nyc-subway-chokehold-death-ruled-a-homicide-as-groups-demand-justice/4301660/

"Neely was arrested 42 times across the last decade, with his most recent bust in November 2021 for slugging a 67-year-old female stranger in the face as she exited a subway station in the East Village, cops said.

The senior citizen suffered a broken nose and fractured orbital bone when she was knocked to the sidewalk, along with swelling and “substantial” head pain after hitting the ground."

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-possible-charges-marine-michael-jackson-impersonator-jordan-neely-20230504-plaznkv5pjbuxaqdu2tlxpieqq-story.html
Jeffster
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 10:51:05 PM »

Here is a witness that came forward to tell the press what she saw:

A straphanger who was on the subway when former Marine Daniel Penny placed Jordan Neely in a fatal chokehold said Thursday she’s “praying” for Penny after it was revealed the 24-year-old would face charges tied to the high-profile case.

“I hope he has a great lawyer, and I’m praying for him,” the 66-year-old woman, who did not want to be identified, told The Post Thursday night. “And I pray that he gets treated fairly, I really do. Because after all of this ensued, I went back and made sure that I said ‘Thank you’ to him.”

The subway rider said Neely, who had a history of mental illness, was threatening passengers after he hopped on an F train in Manhattan.

“He said, ‘I don’t care. I’ll take a bullet, I’ll go to jail’ because he would kill people on the train,” the woman said of Neely. “He said, ‘I would kill a motherf—er. I don’t care. I’ll take a bullet. I’ll go to jail.’”

The retiree said Penny did not initially engage with Neely during the wild rant until things got out of hand and he felt the urge to step in.

https://nypost.com/2023/05/12/jordan-neely-chokehold-death-witness-praying-for-daniel-penny/

And more of Neely's recent violent behavior from the NY Times:

In November 2021, Mr. Neely’s aggression seemed to peak, when he punched a 67-year-old woman in the street on the Lower East Side, breaking her nose, the police said. He was charged with assault and, awaiting the resolution of his case, spent 15 months in jail, the police said, though his family said the stint was shorter.

He pleaded guilty on Feb. 9 of this year, in a carefully planned strategy between the city and his lawyers to allow him to get treatment and stay out of prison. Even the victim signed off on the plan.

“Do you know what the goal is today?” the judge, Ellen M. Biben, asked at the hearing.

“Yes,” Mr. Neely replied.

“What is that goal?”

“To make it physically and mentally to the program.”

He was to go from court to live at a treatment facility in the Bronx, and stay clean for 15 months. In return, his felony conviction would be reduced. He promised to take his medication and to avoid drugs, and not to leave the facility without permission.

“This is a wonderful opportunity to turn things around, and we’re glad to give it to you,” Mary Weisgerber, a prosecutor, said.

“Thank you so much,” Mr. Neely replied.

But just 13 days later, he abandoned the facility. Judge Biben issued a warrant for his arrest.

In March, an outreach worker saw him in the subway, neatly dressed, calm and subdued, and got him a ride to a shelter in the Bronx. (The outreach workers typically do not check for arrest warrants when interacting with homeless people.) But a downward spiral followed.

On April 9, when outreach workers approached him in a subway car at the end of the line in Coney Island, Mr. Neely urinated in front of them. When an outreach worker went to call the police, according to a worker’s notes, Mr. Neely shouted, “Just wait until they get here, I got something for you, just wait and see.”

Officers arrived and ejected Mr. Neely from the train, apparently unaware of the arrest warrant.

Five days after that, an outreach worker saw him in Coney Island and noted that he was aggressive and incoherent. “He could be a harm to others or himself if left untreated,” the worker wrote.

Two weeks later, he was riding an F train in SoHo for what would be the last time.

https://web.archive.org/web/20230507144054/https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/07/nyregion/jordan-neely-daniel-penny-nyc-subway.html
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies