Office of Northeast Citizens' Representative Smid (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:39:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Northeast Citizens' Representative Smid (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Office of Northeast Citizens' Representative Smid  (Read 3363 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: September 28, 2009, 07:59:58 PM »

Good luck. It's always good to see a veteran member take interest in the regional legislatures. You will be a valuable asset and excellent mentor I'm sure.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 01:16:50 PM »

I wouldn't mind assisting in some sort of broad constitutional reform you want to enact. I believe the Mideast went about this in a very similar way to how the Northeast is today. Essentially, the creation of an Assembly led to the realization of just how screwed up the entire governance system was in general. It may not be a bad idea to start a ConCon for the region to capitalize on the rise in activity.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 12:00:48 AM »

I wouldn't mind assisting in some sort of broad constitutional reform you want to enact. I believe the Mideast went about this in a very similar way to how the Northeast is today. Essentially, the creation of an Assembly led to the realization of just how screwed up the entire governance system was in general. It may not be a bad idea to start a ConCon for the region to capitalize on the rise in activity.

There is no provision in the New Northeast Constitution for a Constitutional Convention.  The Amendment process calls for a vote of the Assembly, followed by a vote of the people at the next regional election. 

Essentially, the legislature would pass a law calling a Convention to be chosen by a certain process (Gubernatorial appointment or what have you). That Convention would then convene, draft their own rules and create a new Constitution which could then be presented to the Assembly, passed and sent to the people.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 01:06:28 AM »

Essentially, the legislature would pass a law calling a Convention to be chosen by a certain process (Gubernatorial appointment or what have you). That Convention would then convene, draft their own rules and create a new Constitution which could then be presented to the Assembly, passed and sent to the people.

I don't know why we need a totally new Northeast Constitution or a convention.  The current Northeast Constitution is flawed, but its biggest problems are easily patchable with 3 amendments or so - one to fix the veto override process, one to fix the Assembly seat growth debacle and one to clean up the inconsistent language to reflect our new Assembly.  Additional amendments to clear up the chain of command to add the Speaker and formalize the Governor/Lt. Governor's role in opening up voting booths if the CJO doesn't should also be on the table. 

The Assembly is capable of debating and proposing those changes - and it's our Constitutional duty to do so.

It just looks like crap and could use some clearing up. I'm not saying a Convention is needed, but definitely something to make it look, prettier, would be nice.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies