Daughter of Sen. Manchin raises EpiPen price 400% (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:26:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Daughter of Sen. Manchin raises EpiPen price 400% (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Daughter of Sen. Manchin raises EpiPen price 400%  (Read 3475 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: August 24, 2016, 10:53:09 AM »

Is the epipen a monopoly product?  Shouldn't you be able to have a generic version by now?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 02:26:13 PM »

That's weird.  Apparently it was invented by an engineer at Survival Technology way back in the 1970s.

I wonder how long Congress will keep having to haul in corporate execs and such before them before they realize they need to enact some meaningful patent reform.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 12:33:43 AM »

To anyone tempted to get sanctimonious about how it's wrong to implicate Manchin:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

These people are real-life vampires. They gain vitality by sucking life - almost literally - out of people who don't have their kind of power. And they would do it to me, you, and anyone else here if they had the chance.

I'm a little confused about what you are accusing him of here.  Getting his daughter a data entry job?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 12:54:33 AM »
« Edited: August 30, 2016, 01:26:37 AM by shua »

I'm a little confused about what you are accusing him of here.  Getting his daughter a data entry job?

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Are you being deliberately obscure?

in any case, "so and so is a greedy person" seems to me to be missing the point of what is happening here.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 03:17:15 PM »

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Are you being deliberately obscure?

What is hard to understand about a pharmaceutical company - headed by an ex-lobbyist and the daughter of a US Senator whose actual management and leadership credentials appear to be not just lacking, but laughable - pursuing a business model that depends on an FDA-enforced monopoly that is, at least arguably, poorly justified by the best available medical evidence on generic alternatives?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Now it seems to be my turn to be deliberately obtuse, because I have no idea what you meant to imply by this.

Up until this point she was generally considered a respected leader within the industry, whose tenure saw the stock price rise by a proportion even more than the rise in price of Epipen. This is not a unique case, it is an industry trend. Do you think those industries that provide hyper-inflationary products - such as drug manufacturers, universities - are inherently more greedy than those making slightly deflationary products like TVs and personal computers?   Even if they are for some reason, prices are supposed to supposed to communicate something about supply and demand. If there has been no significant change in supply or demand, and yet prices have gone up 600%, something has gone wrong to allow this to happen. It isn't a healthy, functioning market.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies