Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 12:09:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 1168
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 907230 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: December 22, 2021, 07:30:31 PM »

Interesting. Early on I thought this was going nowhere like last time despite more Ukrainian aggression ramping up, but I am now somwhere between 40-50% sure Putin will invade.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #226 on: December 23, 2021, 10:55:51 AM »

StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #227 on: December 23, 2021, 11:23:54 AM »

It's Europe. What state's not a construct?
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #228 on: December 23, 2021, 12:25:15 PM »

StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #229 on: December 23, 2021, 12:31:53 PM »

That was stated early this week by the Biden administration. Not new information.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #230 on: December 23, 2021, 12:33:16 PM »

The head of the DPR, Denis Pushilin, said that the chemical weapons in possession of Kiev were packed in readiness to be dropped from drones.

According to NM DNR, the first batch of chemical weapons arrived in Ukraine on American planes in October.

BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #231 on: December 23, 2021, 03:06:10 PM »

Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #232 on: December 24, 2021, 01:56:56 AM »

I've read through these threads and I just can't wrap my head around what Putin's endgame is, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

China-Taiwan in comparison seems simple.  China wants to annex Taiwan, the only question is whether or not they can do it militarily and/or handle the consequences.

But what does Russia want?  The consensus (sorry Andriy) seems to be that Ukraine will get slaughtered in a war with Russia. 

-Tear off more Ukrainian territory?  Make the Sea of Azov a Russian lake?  Most people I've read seem to think that's the most likely scenario.  But paradoxically, it would just make the rest of Ukraine even more anti-Russian and pro-NATO, and make the rest of NATO far more amenable to letting them join.

-Install a pro-Russian puppet in Kiev?  I can't imagine large chunks of Ukraine, especially in the West, supporting that.

-Annex Ukraine entirely?  The same thing goes for West Ukraine times 100.  Also, this seems by far the most likely scenario to bring NATO intervention.

Have Ukrainians ever heard of the concept of "addition by subtraction"?  As much as it might hurt their pride, maybe they should consider letting TRULY-pro-Russian areas of the country go, if it lets them salvage the rest of the country and takes the boundary-dispute roadblock out of NATO membership.  But that also might cause too much economic damage to the country - I certainly plead guilty to not being terribly educated on the matter.

Please don't come at me too hard, I usually read instead of posting, but I really wanted to hear the thoughts of people closer to the situation than I am.

I'm not saying this as an endorsement of Putin's actions but like it or not, Putin is just not going to accept Ukraine as a NATO member under any circumstances. Period.

I don't think Putin actually has any imminent plans to invade, I think he's just trying to catch some negotiations over Ukraine's future status as a NATO vs. non-NATO state.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #233 on: December 24, 2021, 08:19:42 AM »

The head of the DPR, Denis Pushilin, said that the chemical weapons in possession of Kiev were packed in readiness to be dropped from drones.

According to NM DNR, the first batch of chemical weapons arrived in Ukraine on American planes in October.

There is absolutely no chance Biden's administration would sanction the sell or use of chemical weapons. Seems BS
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #234 on: December 24, 2021, 03:43:26 PM »

Oh goodie it’s starting
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #235 on: December 24, 2021, 07:25:17 PM »

Is this now WW3 starting?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #236 on: December 24, 2021, 09:36:31 PM »

The WWs had all the continents at it, this seems confined to The North.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #237 on: December 25, 2021, 07:20:24 PM »

Guess it hasn't yet, we would've heard if fighting broke out by now.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #238 on: December 26, 2021, 11:08:37 AM »

BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #239 on: December 26, 2021, 01:48:55 PM »

BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #240 on: December 29, 2021, 12:15:41 PM »

BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #241 on: December 29, 2021, 01:30:50 PM »

bilaps
« Reply #242 on: December 29, 2021, 02:57:44 PM »

I've read through these threads and I just can't wrap my head around what Putin's endgame is, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

China-Taiwan in comparison seems simple.  China wants to annex Taiwan, the only question is whether or not they can do it militarily and/or handle the consequences.

But what does Russia want?  The consensus (sorry Andriy) seems to be that Ukraine will get slaughtered in a war with Russia. 

-Tear off more Ukrainian territory?  Make the Sea of Azov a Russian lake?  Most people I've read seem to think that's the most likely scenario.  But paradoxically, it would just make the rest of Ukraine even more anti-Russian and pro-NATO, and make the rest of NATO far more amenable to letting them join.

-Install a pro-Russian puppet in Kiev?  I can't imagine large chunks of Ukraine, especially in the West, supporting that.

-Annex Ukraine entirely?  The same thing goes for West Ukraine times 100.  Also, this seems by far the most likely scenario to bring NATO intervention.

Have Ukrainians ever heard of the concept of "addition by subtraction"?  As much as it might hurt their pride, maybe they should consider letting TRULY-pro-Russian areas of the country go, if it lets them salvage the rest of the country and takes the boundary-dispute roadblock out of NATO membership.  But that also might cause too much economic damage to the country - I certainly plead guilty to not being terribly educated on the matter.

Please don't come at me too hard, I usually read instead of posting, but I really wanted to hear the thoughts of people closer to the situation than I am.

First, you don't have to apologize for anything.

Second, there are no fully pro-Russian regions. Yes, the East and the South are Russian-speaking, but even there the vast majority of the population wants to live in Ukraine. Yes, there is much less support for NATO and the EU there, but there is no desire to be part of Russia.

Third, as StateBoiler has said, it will set a dangerous precedent everywhere and will greatly strengthen separatist movements in Europe.

Fourth, even if we assume the hypothetical surrender of the South and the East, it will be a huge damage to Ukraine's economy. The South and the East are predominantly industrial areas, of which the state budget receives a significant share. The South is also a tourist area, millions of tourists go there to swim in the sea every year, including foreigners, which also brings significant income to the budget.

Wasn't the precedent set already when western countries recognized Kosovo independence?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #243 on: December 30, 2021, 03:59:10 PM »

Can the mods do something about our resident twitter bot posting baseless nonsense?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #244 on: December 30, 2021, 05:26:26 PM »

As we approach January, I’m going to repeat my statement that this is a nothingburger. Given the fact that Covid-19 has already damaged the Russian economy and the slipping and regaining of footing recently faced in the Caucasus and Central Asia, it was clear that Russia does not want a war right now, not so soon with the new guy whose already unpopular and weakly a placeholder for Putin.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #245 on: December 30, 2021, 06:15:06 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2021, 06:30:23 PM by BigSerg »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #246 on: December 30, 2021, 06:17:23 PM »

That tweet got deleted fast.
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

« Reply #247 on: January 02, 2022, 02:37:10 PM »

Oh yeah speaking of Russia and Ukraine I could do this in a nutshell
1. The ex wife is Ukraine, NATO and the EU is the ex wife's new partners/therapists, Russia is the tall and heavy angry ex husband trying to search for Ukraine, Belarus and a few other countries are the ex's husbands assistants trying to Invade Ukraine.
2. A lonely park ranger is Ukraine while the tall angry brown bear is Russia fittingly enough. The park's rangers are Poland and the Baltic States while Belarus is the bear's cub
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #248 on: January 03, 2022, 11:54:40 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2022, 12:03:42 PM by StateBoiler »

China-Taiwan in comparison seems simple.  China wants to annex Taiwan, the only question is whether or not they can do it militarily and/or handle the consequences.

But what does Russia want?  The consensus (sorry Andriy) seems to be that Ukraine will get slaughtered in a war with Russia.  

-Tear off more Ukrainian territory?  Make the Sea of Azov a Russian lake?  Most people I've read seem to think that's the most likely scenario.  But paradoxically, it would just make the rest of Ukraine even more anti-Russian and pro-NATO, and make the rest of NATO far more amenable to letting them join.

-Install a pro-Russian puppet in Kiev?  I can't imagine large chunks of Ukraine, especially in the West, supporting that.

-Annex Ukraine entirely?  The same thing goes for West Ukraine times 100.  Also, this seems by far the most likely scenario to bring NATO intervention.

Have Ukrainians ever heard of the concept of "addition by subtraction"?  As much as it might hurt their pride, maybe they should consider letting TRULY-pro-Russian areas of the country go, if it lets them salvage the rest of the country and takes the boundary-dispute roadblock out of NATO membership.  But that also might cause too much economic damage to the country - I certainly plead guilty to not being terribly educated on the matter.

First, you don't have to apologize for anything.

Second, there are no fully pro-Russian regions. Yes, the East and the South are Russian-speaking, but even there the vast majority of the population wants to live in Ukraine. Yes, there is much less support for NATO and the EU there, but there is no desire to be part of Russia.

Third, as StateBoiler has said, it will set a dangerous precedent everywhere and will greatly strengthen separatist movements in Europe.

Fourth, even if we assume the hypothetical surrender of the South and the East, it will be a huge damage to Ukraine's economy. The South and the East are predominantly industrial areas, of which the state budget receives a significant share. The South is also a tourist area, millions of tourists go there to swim in the sea every year, including foreigners, which also brings significant income to the budget.

Wasn't the precedent set already when western countries recognized Kosovo independence?

Which was so horrific a precedent for giving just cause to future territorial conflicts that Condoleeza Rice the day it happened claimed "this is not a precedent", which was eyerolling to the extreme.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #249 on: January 06, 2022, 05:11:56 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 1168  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies