Almost 10% of Floridians are on food stamps (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:37:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Almost 10% of Floridians are on food stamps (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Almost 10% of Floridians are on food stamps  (Read 2547 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: January 03, 2009, 09:06:42 AM »

It is an American-style safety net - shockingly inadequate and difficult to qualify for.  The amount is only around $150/month for individuals and single adults can only get the benefit for three months before they are kicked off.

Though the program is so inadequate that its recipients often fall from its rolls due to homelessness or death through lack of health care, it is still resented by a majority of americans, who believe that these unfortunate victims are somehow 'taking advantage of the system' or 'are lazy'.  Why these same dupes do not think the rich are lazy or taking advantage is of course due to their own brown-nosing hubris, and of course racism.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 04:50:50 PM »

Directly providing them the food instead of providing food stamps which often go for booze/smokes/junk food would work better.

You are an ignorant.  Food stamps may not be used for booze or cigarettes, only food.  Dolt.

single adults can only get the benefit for three months before they are kicked off.

This is not true. If it were, 10% of people would not be on it.

It is true.  I know very well from personal experience, memphis.  Just go down to the welfare office and you will find out I am exactly right.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 05:33:33 PM »

Explain ghetto or reservation alcoholism rates then if food stamps can't be used for booze.

Why should I explain that?  You have not established that the two things have anything to do with one anther, and besides, food stamps are legally required to be used only for food, and are illegal to use for 'booze'.

From the government web site:

10. What foods are eligible for purchase with SNAP benefits?

Households CAN use SNAP benefits to buy:
   Foods for the household to eat, such as:
     -- breads and cereals
-- fruits and vegetables
-- meats, fish and poultry; and
-- dairy products
   Seeds and plants which produce food for the household to eat.

Households CANNOT use SNAP benefits to buy:
   Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes or tobacco
   Any nonfood items, such as:
     -- pet foods;
-- soaps, paper products; and
-- household supplies.
   Vitamins and medicines.
   Food that will be eaten in the store.
   Hot foods
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 05:01:21 AM »

As I have mentioned several times, my grandmother is on food stamps (and has been for years). I help her with her shoppping each week, so I'm fairly familiar with the program.  It is true that you are not allowed to buy alcohol, tobacoco, hot food, and non edible household supplies (toothpaste, paper towels.....) They can be used to buy junk foood (chips, snack cakes, soda....) however. While you may need to reverify eligibility to maintain enrollment, there is no maximum enrollment period.

But in practice there is, because single people are only eligible for 3 months in any something-year period (I forget the exact number of years, maybe its 3 or 10).  Obviously, old people such as  your grand mother, or people who can prove some other sort of incapacitation can get them longer, but 'able bodied' adults cannot get them regardless of economically imposed unemployment, for more than the 3 months.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 02:02:28 AM »

It's your claim. Burden of proof is on you. You were able to find the language barring alcohol and tobacco fairly easily.

Yeah, the claim was just a reporting of personal experience.  I can't find anything about that online.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies