Poll: Hispanics becoming less Catholic (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:50:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Poll: Hispanics becoming less Catholic (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Poll: Hispanics becoming less Catholic  (Read 1023 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: September 29, 2013, 03:16:58 AM »
« edited: September 29, 2013, 03:34:54 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

I see BRTD's following his usual script.

I will say, as I believe I have before, that the lack of a sense of ethnoreligious identity can for certain personality types feel as oppressive as the idea of having one feels to him. For such personalities, 'OMG CULTURE AND TRADITION!' is part of what separates the experience of a human from that of an entirely atomized and hence utterly alone 'consumer' or 'taxpayer' going through a process of constant cultural consumption and regurgitation on and on mechanically.

Obviously people for whom that's the case wouldn't (for the most part) be the people converting but I can't help but wonder how this is affecting their relationships in their communities.

Shame, especially given the sorts of evangelical sects that Latinos are converting to.

Do you think its a shame with the people i know who converted Catholic to evangelical? (Albeit a more liberal strain of evagelicalism.)

I would say that Catholic-to-Evangelical is almost always a step down, theologically speaking, even if not necessarily socially or politically, except possibly from the most inconsiderately reactionary strain of Catholicism to the most staid and worldly-disinclined strain of Evangelicalism.

Happy Michaelmas, by the way.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:52:08 PM »

I see BRTD's following his usual script.

I will say, as I believe I have before, that the lack of a sense of ethnoreligious identity can for certain personality types feel as oppressive as the idea of having one feels to him. For such personalities, 'OMG CULTURE AND TRADITION!' is part of what separates the experience of a human from that of an entirely atomized and hence utterly alone 'consumer' or 'taxpayer' going through a process of constant cultural consumption and regurgitation on and on mechanically.

Can't one develop such an identity on their own?

One conceivably can, but I'm far from convinced that many people do.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What you call 'the counterculture' is really a disjointed, vague, and unreliable world, in that while I don't want to cast any aspersions on you specifically, the whole scene is a lot more beholden to the atomizing forces of capitalist modernity and the frank illusion of choice that it claims to oppose than most of us--even those of us who aren't in it but would like to believe that it can be what it promises to people--would prefer to think.

Probably not a whole lot. I don't know anyone in my age group who appears to have greatly soured relationships with their parents due to not being Catholic anymore. This type of sectarianism isn't a big factor anymore, which I think almost everyone would agree is good.[/quote]

I'm willing to concede this, but I would also like to remind you that 'people you know in your age group' isn't really representative.

Do you think its a shame with the people i know who converted Catholic to evangelical? (Albeit a more liberal strain of evagelicalism.)
[/quote]

I would say that Catholic-to-Evangelical is almost always a step down, theologically speaking, even if not necessarily socially or politically, except possibly from the most inconsiderately reactionary strain of Catholicism to the most staid and worldly-disinclined strain of Evangelicalism.

Happy Michaelmas, by the way.
[/quote]

There are certain things in Catholicism (primarily complimentarianism) that I find so repugnant that I would say switching to anything that doesn't involve those things is automatically a step up. I find it amazing that anyone would argue any women who convert to a church that ordains women are taking a step DOWN.[/quote]

Complementarianism is awful, yes, and I would be willing to set aside a lot of reservations about culture to support any woman--or man, for that matter--who was uncomfortable with it converting away from Catholicism in principle, but preferably not to something that diminishes Mary, tears apart tradition at the seams as opposed to just letting it out a little, and sh**ts all over the sacraments. (I'm also not sure how much a church without apostolic succession ordaining anybody is really worth, but of course I would think that and of course I don't expect you to agree with me.)

This is actually a pretty good point.

That would depend on the mainline church in question and what its attitude towards cultural diversity in religious expression was (some have very good attitudes, some are iffier), but no, my knee-jerk tendency obviously isn't to consider that a bad thing, which I fully admit is partially due to personal bias in favor of high-church mainline Protestantism above other religions.

_____

This isn't a phenomenon that I'm 'opposed to' as such, anyway, really, but I think your reasons for being outright supportive of it are the wrong reasons.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies