Students walk out of Pence speech (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:32:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Students walk out of Pence speech (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Students walk out of Pence speech  (Read 3651 times)
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« on: May 22, 2017, 09:19:15 AM »

Kind of stupid. Pence hasn't said anything racist, egregious (wasn't gay electrocution therapy years ago?), or the sort. He's also fairly standard as a Republican vice president.

This is a bit snowflakey.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 09:45:53 AM »

Kind of stupid. Pence hasn't said anything racist, egregious (wasn't gay electrocution therapy years ago?), or the sort. He's also fairly standard as a Republican vice president.

He supports the right of businesses to deny services to gays, and believes that gays and non-Christians can't go to Heaven. Even Trump isn't that bad.

So does 95% of the Republican caucus. Pence is not an aberration in the Party but even then so as President he's not gonna take action on stupid issues like these.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 09:47:08 AM »

He supports the right of businesses to deny services to gays, and believes that gays and non-Christians can't go to Heaven. Even Trump isn't that bad.

This why all the omgzlefties around here need to realize a President Pence isn't what you want.

He can't win by himself though and would be easier to beat.

You want him for the next 3 1/2 years?  Lol.

If he's got nothing to do with Russia? He's an improvement on Trump.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 09:55:14 AM »

Seriously you're going to hold it against Pence for his faith on the gays? I support gay rights but I don't understand the emphasis on it to the exclusion of many other issues, especially when it's settled law at this point. It's even more ironclad than Roe and will never be reversed.

No President is going to fight gay rights ever again. The gay rights fight is a dead letter especially after North Carolina.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 09:58:16 AM »

If Bernie Sanders came to speak at my graduation, I would hate it, but I wouldn't walk out. I would toughen up, listen to it all, and take his speech with a grain of salt.

And are libs really calling conservatives who thought these kids were immature snowflakes? Really? After these kids couldn't bother listening to a damn speech?

Sorry but there are snowflakes on both sides of the aisle.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 10:04:41 AM »

That's true but I just feel there is a generational desire to have ideological bubbles and never deal with the other side. Fox News is one giant safe space. This thread is a classic safe space on the Left (Pence's real threat is his ability to govern as an effective conservative president -- Grumps should support Pence over Trump for this reason in fact).

Gay rights is a red herring at this point honestly. Nobody's gonna threaten them and transgender rights will be legal in 5-10 years.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 02:11:10 PM »

No, those were things he supported as Governor.  If you're going to insult people as snowflakes, you should at least make sure you're facts are in order.

See my reasoning. I don't just think that his RFRA stuff was a huge deal as much as people make it out to be. Stupid, yes, huge deal, no.

Gay rights are important, but put it in perspective, again, nobody is challenging them fundamentally. Stupid red states like Texas doing the transgender bills are going to find them summarily repealed. It's just a losing battle all around.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies