Who would be President Pence's Vice President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:46:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Who would be President Pence's Vice President?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who would be President Pence's Vice President?  (Read 1616 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 10:59:26 PM »

One must remember that Pence will face Democrats rejecting yes-men, cronies, and extremists. The succession is already a rogues' gallery of such people. Democrats will have to be satisfied with someone who promises to clean up the mess of corruption associated with President Trump.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 08:50:35 AM »

I think either Nikki Haley or Mitt Romney. Haley brings diversity to the ticket. She’s young, female and of Indian descent. She’s popular at the base and comes from a different part of the country. She’s also experienced at the homefront and in foreign policy. I think she would be huge asset for Pence. Mitt Romney would also be safe, maybe the safest, choice for vice president. Many, including Democrats, think that he is qualified for the job of president as well. And he’s still popular among Republicans and would help governing. The offer to be vice president could be seen as a tribute to his career. However, both come from safe states.

Other options:

John Thune: Solid conservative, experienced in the senate. Not controversial.

Ben Sasse: see above.

Jeff Flake: Would appeal to more moderate GOPers and Trump critics. However, not too popular at the base but may help with AZ.

Marco Rubio: Solid conservative with some experience in foreign policy. But selection may put his senate seat in a special election at risk.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 09:48:42 AM »

Haley would be the best choice for competency, "symbolism" and to appease the wings of the party most put off by Trump
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 10:02:28 AM »

Pence is not going to choose a woman. He needs a VP who he is able to meet with outside of the company of his wife.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »

Would cloture require 60 or 51 votes under current rules? It's an appointment, but it's different from other appointments in that both Houses have to vote on it.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2017, 10:14:13 AM »

51 votes and 218 in the House. Cloture doesn't apply to vice presidential nominations under the 25th right?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2017, 10:39:22 AM »

I don't know. It says the nominee takes office when confirmation happens, but it doesn't imply the vote must happen, like it does for say, veto overrides.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2017, 11:11:45 AM »

It will almost certainly be Nikki Haley.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2017, 12:08:57 PM »

If I were him, I would pick the strongest candidate that is somewhat likely to run against me in the 2020 GOP primaries.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2017, 02:28:34 PM »

Maybe Tom Cotton, as much as I hate him. He's a young veteran and, well, I guess those are the only benefits I can think of.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2017, 02:31:03 PM »

Dear, sweet, Mother.
NeederNodder
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -7.28

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2017, 03:09:34 PM »

It'd be a true moderate say if Pence has a democratic controlled Congress and Senate.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2017, 03:32:00 PM »

If Trump resigns/dies/gets impeached under a democratic house or senate, I could very easily see a total stonewall arising from democratic ranks preventing the appointment of a VP. Democrats are pretty hungry for some vengeful hardball, and even though a VP is much less important than a SCOTUS justice, the base would love a little revenge.

But if Trump leaves before January '19 it would probably be Haley or Rubio.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2017, 04:27:55 PM »

Again, it is really hard to imagine Pence choosing and the Republican House of Representatives nominating a woman to the Vice Presidency when there are so many men who would want the role. It's not in the culture to elevate a woman given alternatives and men who want it badly.

Sarah Palin, as we know, was a Hail Mary pick by McCain.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2017, 09:12:41 AM »

As I have said all along, it is not a question of IF Trump gets impeached but WHEN.  The only thing that would prevent that impeachment would be for him to step down and get pardoned by Pence, but we are some distance away from all that.

As for Pence's VP, he will have to take into account several factors:
1. Trump's supporters, who will want to see at least some remnants of the "Drain the swamp" movement
2. GOP in Congress, many of whom have been frustrated by this administration and will want some payback in the form of one of their own at VP
3. Public opinion - Pence is an uncharismatic person and he will need someone to lift him up, yet at the same time NOT upstage him
4. Diversity - While Trump is unconventional and can "get away with murder", Pence is a prototype WASP (in spite of his Catholic origins), and needs to pay attention to bringing a woman or a "person of color" into the fold

So, based on all this, Pence would probably need to go bold and pick a woman (Susanna Martinez would be my pick - Nikki Haley would probably upstage Pence) or someone like Jindal or Rubio, who are really political lightweights, but carry a youth and diversity cachet.  Another (safe) option would be to elevate Paul Ryan, although he would then need someone else to manage the House.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2017, 09:20:06 AM »

I forgot to mention Susana Martinez. She's latina with two terms experience as governor of NM. Not too bad.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2017, 09:33:58 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2017, 09:37:42 AM by Santander »

Jeb is the logical choice - inoffensive, experienced, and not politically threatening. The Rockefeller to Pence's Ford.

John McCain might also be interested in writing the last chapter of his career as VP, and he would be a politically prudent choice for Pence and the party.

Pence wants to be President. Picking someone "exciting" who can politically usurp him doesn't make sense. He'll pick an inoffensive, washed up politician to serve out the remainder of the term, then pick a rising star as his running mate for 2020.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2017, 02:08:53 PM »

Jeb is the logical choice - inoffensive, experienced, and not politically threatening. The Rockefeller to Pence's Ford.

John McCain might also be interested in writing the last chapter of his career as VP, and he would be a politically prudent choice for Pence and the party.

Pence wants to be President. Picking someone "exciting" who can politically usurp him doesn't make sense. He'll pick an inoffensive, washed up politician to serve out the remainder of the term, then pick a rising star as his running mate for 2020.

Mitt fits the "Rockefeller category" better or equally than Jeb I think. An older and very rich candidate who had ambitions and ran more than once for president.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies