Booker slams 2020 rivals for "bragging about their pot use"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:15:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Booker slams 2020 rivals for "bragging about their pot use"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Booker slams 2020 rivals for "bragging about their pot use"  (Read 439 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2019, 12:34:23 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/cory-booker-blasts-senators-bragging-about-their-pot-use/2019/03/18/806719a6-49dd-11e9-93d0-64dbcf38ba41_story.html

Booker did not mention anyone by name during the “Hardball” interview with host Chris Matthews. But he suggested that it was inappropriate for lawmakers to make light of the issue when some in society face legal repercussions for similar actions.

“We have presidential candidates — senators — bragging about their pot use while there are kids who can’t get a job because they have a nonviolent offense,” Booker said.

In a radio interview last month, Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), who is running for president, laughingly acknowledged that she has used marijuana in the past, saying, “Half my family is from Jamaica; are you kidding me? And I did inhale.”

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), another 2020 candidate, has also recently spoken about having used marijuana, although his comments were not as widely reported as Harris’s. “Didn’t do a whole lot for me. My recollection is I nearly coughed my brains out, so it’s not my cup of tea,” Sanders said in an interview this month with the same radio program, “The Breakfast Club.”

The day before, he said something similar:

“We have presidential candidates and congresspeople and senators that now talk about their marijuana use almost as if it’s funny,” he said. “But meanwhile, in 2017, we had more arrests for marijuana possession in this country than all the violent crime arrests combined.”
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 12:39:38 AM »

He's got a point in regards to Harris.

If Harris had just been asked the question and responded "yes, I used marijuana in college" it'd be fine, she'd just be being honest. But by namedropping those rappers, it showed that she was lying in an attempt to come across as "cool".
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 01:53:47 PM »

Booker is 100% right here.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 02:24:05 PM »

Marijuana should be legal, but I detest elected officials who normalize it and try to make it seem "cool."
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 02:32:07 PM »

Very ironic considering Booker is the biggest drug dealer in the race with all that pharma cash he be gettin
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 03:42:14 PM »

But I thought the Democrats were supposed to be civil to each other. Booker might have a point, but is he that upset that Harris is doing better? He should at least go after her on things that matter.

Very ironic considering Booker is the biggest drug dealer in the race with all that pharma cash he be gettin

This is kinda funny, but also pretty bad for me to laugh at.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 07:43:12 PM »

I hate people who do nothing but talk about how much they love cannabis as much as anyone, but  I respect that politicians are now being honest about past use of the drug. I don't see it as "bragging" even if it does come off as an attempt to be relatable.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies