Texas only has enough drugs for one more lethal injection available (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 01:07:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Texas only has enough drugs for one more lethal injection available (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Texas only has enough drugs for one more lethal injection available  (Read 3630 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: March 14, 2015, 01:02:37 PM »

why not use something like fentanyl?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 06:54:56 PM »

again, let me bring this up.  fentanyl is an opioid that is "80 to 100 times" stronger than morphine.  there are also black market fentanyl derivatives that are a few hundred times stronger than morphine. 

these highly potent opioids make for an easy overdose in an opiate-naive subject.  a full gram of fentanyl would produce an instant overdose.  this isn't difficult stuff. are they afraid that it might feel good?

why not use something like fentanyl?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 12:29:49 AM »

It's pretty clear that no state would be willing to use black market drugs for executions.

fentanyl isn't black market.  it's a Schedule II painkiller ("high risk of abuse, recognized medical purpose").

and besides, the research chemical markets are more 'grey market' than they are black market.  the Federal Analog Act rests on shaky legal ground, and is rarely used to prosecute anybody.

instead, the DEA goes after specific designer drugs by placing them in Sched I on an "emergency" basis, which is essentially permanent.  the process is reactive: a highly popular designer drug will be out on the clearnet for 2-3 years before the DEA bans it.  see mephedrone for a good example.  the synthetic cannabinoids (K2, spice, AB-FUBINACA) have met a similar fate.

the State of Texas could probably buy grey market fentanyl derivatives/imitations without breaking any law, or at least without being prosecuted.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 03:22:14 PM »

It is odd tho that companies who feel human life is so sacred they will not allow their drugs to not be used for executions don't go to the same level of effort to prevent them from being used for euthanasia.

I have rarely seen a post so bafflingly alien to any sort of logic.
Maybe the typo I corrected will resolve your bafflement, but I doubt it.  Conversely, I fail to see how anyone who is so opposed to the death penalty that they would consider it akin to murder would support euthanasia,  Life is life.  Both capital punishment and euthanasia are based upon the proposition that life is not so precious that it should never be ended.

many people place a lot of value on the variable of consent.  this isn't so complicated that it should escape your mind.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 04:18:27 PM »

There does tend to be a correlation between those who operate under that presumption and those who think there is a correlation between constitutional and good.

which do you like better: "constitutional" or "good"?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies