Unbought and Unbossed: Shirley Chisholm in 1976
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:39:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Unbought and Unbossed: Shirley Chisholm in 1976
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Unbought and Unbossed: Shirley Chisholm in 1976  (Read 2142 times)
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2021, 12:26:44 PM »

This is one of your best TLs
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2021, 10:25:21 PM »

July 6, 1974
The White House

People were normally very happy coming back into the office after the holiday, but as usual, the Nixon administration was the exception. The Democrats were giddy about impeaching him. While they hadn't exactly admitted it he could just feel Shirley and Ted Kennedy salivating over this opportunity. Almost everyone working in the west wing was spending most of their time searching for new jobs at this point, and Richard knew he didn't have much time left.
---

July 29, 1974
The White House

It was official. Congress had officially opened an impeachment investigation. Over 70% of Americans disapproved of the job he was doing, and the economy was beginning to falter. But he could not resign in disgrace.
---

August 14, 1974
The White House

"Dick we need you to resign!" Senator Howard Baker stated, the annoyance in his voice clear.

"No."

"Then impeachment it is then."
---

September 30, 1974
A House Committee Chamber

"With a vote of 32-3, the committee hereby approves the drafted article of impeachment."
---

theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2021, 07:14:30 PM »

October 20, 1974
The U.S. House Chamber

"The clerk will report the tally"

"With 377 in favor and 42 opposed, the article passes"
---

October 22, 1974
The White House

"Sir if you resign by the day after tomorrow I'll pardon you." Spiro stated, inwardly glad to turn the tables on the President. He knew this would hurt the party in the midterms but he didn't care at this point.

"What if I say no?" President Nixon replied, visibly tired.

"Then you'll get to be in office for the next month or so, and then be removed from office and dragged in front of a grand jury for the crimes of-"

"Okay fine."
---

October 24, 1974
The White House

"After much discussion with my family and advisors, I have come to the conclusion that it would be bad for the nation if I remain in office. Therefore, I am announcing my resignation effective at noon tomorrow. Thank you and God Bless America."
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2021, 07:35:48 PM »

SENATE:

D: 73 (+9)
R: 27 (-9)

HOUSE:
D: 307 (+62)
R: 128 (-62)

theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2021, 07:58:50 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2021, 08:04:30 PM by REAL Kimberly Guilfoyle »

November 4, 1975
Yankee Stadium

It was after the MLB season, so the 50,000 people packing Yankee Stadium this morning were all waiting for her announcement. The cheers as she walked out were immense.

She shook hands with Senator Ottinger, her husband Arthur Hardwick, and several other notable people who had given speeches. She strode to the podium as another round of cheering broke out.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I come here today to announce my intent to run for the office of President of the United States-" A massive amount of applause and cheering broke out.

"For far too long our nation has been run by those who are out of touch with everyday Americans. Less than ten years ago, I was a teacher. I ran for office once I saw that these politicians did not care about the plight of the students I taught, and instead spent their time focused on invading or intervening in the affairs of foreign countries. Despite former President Nixon's promises, thousands of our troops are engaged and dying in a losing war halfway around the world. If you the American people give me the honor of serving as President I will bring our troops home, I will increase funding for schools, I will implement a program that gives the top 20% of each graduating high school class a scholarship to an in-state university, I will pass a single-payer health care system to ensure no American has to worry about health care costs and that companies do not have to base who they hire on medical conditions and history, and we will ensure that all Americans can live the American dream. Thank you."

The cheers broke out louder than ever, and it was at that point Shirley knew she had a chance.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2021, 01:28:50 AM »

(OOC: I'm going to be trying a new style)

IOWA CAUCUS RESULTS, 1% IN:
Jimmy Carter: 28.4%
Mo Udall: 26.0%
Shirley Chisholm: 26.0%
George Wallace: 10.0%

IOWA CAUCUS RESULTS, 25% IN:
Jimmy Carter: 27.9%
Shirley Chisholm: 27.6%
Mo Udall: 25.9%
George Wallace: 9.8%

IOWA CAUCUS RESULTS, 50% IN:
Shirley Chisholm: 28.0%
Mo Udall: 26.9%
Jimmy Carter: 26.3%
George Wallace: 9.9%

IOWA CAUCUS RESULTS, 75% IN:
Shirley Chisholm: 28.2%
Jimmy Carter: 26.7%
Mo Udall: 26.6%

IOWA CAUCUS RESULTS, 93% IN:
✓Shirley Chisholm: 28.3%
Jimmy Carter: 27.0%
Mo Udall: 26.2%

IOWA CAUCUS FINAL RESULTS:
✓Shirley Chisholm: 28.4%
Jimmy Carter: 27.0%
Mo Udall: 26.7%
George Wallace: 9.6%
---

SHIRLEY CHISHOLM SCORES HISTORIC UPSET WIN IN IOWA!
January 20, 1976 - Shirley Chisholm, the two-term Senator from New York, became the first Black person and the first woman to win a Presidential primary following her narrow win in the three-way contest. Chisholm, who was a schoolteacher less than ten years ago, is one of the Democratic frontrunners for the nomination.

GEORGE WALLACE ASSASSINATED IN JACKSON!
January 22, 1976 - George Wallace was killed at a campaign event earlier today in the run-up to the Mississippi primary. Both Shirley Chisholm and Jimmy Carter have suspended their campaigns.

MISSISSIPPI PRIMARY FINAL RESULTS:
✓Jimmy Carter: 43.9%
Shirley Chisholm: 43.1%
Mo Udall: 8.5%

CARTER NARROWLY PREVAILS IN MISSISSIPPI DUE TO INCREASED BLACK TURNOUT.
January 24, 1976 - Despite record-high Black turnout (a change attributed to the candidacy of Shirley Chisholm), Jimmy Carter has defeated the aforementioned Chisholm in a narrow race.

CARTER & CHISHOLM SPLIT STATES.
February 2, 1976 - Earlier today the DNC announced that Shirley Chisholm carried the state of New Hampshire while Jimmy Carter carried Oklahoma. Mo Udall has not yet carried a state and many think his campaign is on its last legs.

MO UDALL DROPS OUT FOLLOWING UNDERPERFORMANCE!
February 14, 1976 - Mo Udall, the original frontrunner after most of the prospective major candidates declined to run, has dropped out after shockingly good performances by Jimmy Carter and Shirley Chisholm.

RNC CANCELS PRIMARIES TO SET PRESIDENT AGNEW UP FOR EASY RE-ELECTION.
February 23, 1976 - The Republican National Committee is reportedly preparing to cancel the Republican primaries to allow President Agnew to focus on the general election. Vice President Ford is reported to be kept on the ticket.

SHIRLEY CHISHOLM SWEEPS VT, WA, and MA!
March 4, 1976 - Shirley Chisholm managed to win all three primaries up for grabs yesterday by carrying the states of Massachusetts, Washington, and Vermont. This increases her delegate lead over Jimmy Carter by a substantial amount.

JIMMY CARTER WINS FLORIDA AS ILLINOIS GOES TO RECOUNT.
March 10, 1976 - Yesterday Jimmy Carter officially won the state of Florida. Illinois is going to a recount as the Carter-aligned rural areas compete with the Chisholm-aligned city of Chicago.

RECOUNT VERIFIES CARTER WIN.
March 11, 1976 - A short recount conducted by the Illinois Democratic Party verifies Jimmy Carter's win by 190 votes. Some in the Chisholm campaign are crying fowl.

theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2021, 11:46:55 PM »

NEW YORK GOES TO CHISHOLM IN LANDSLIDE, CARTER TAKES ALABAMA
March 18, 1976 - Shirley Chisholm has continued to build her delegate lead over Fmr. Governor Carter as the prospect of the first female and first Black president becomes more and more possible.

CHISHOLM PULLS OFF MASSIVE UPSET IN SOUTH CAROLINA!
March 23, 1976 - Senator Chisholm has pulled off a massive upset in the South Carolina primary, smack in the middle of Jimmy Carter's territory. She achieved this by running up her numbers with Black voters to pull off a 51-47 win.

---
March 24, 1976
Chisholm for President HQ

Jimmy swore half the staff were giving him glares as he walked into his opposition's campaign HQ. He was motioned in by a volunteer. Per usual, Chisholm got right to the point.

"I want you to be my running mate."

"You aren't even half the way to clinching it!"

"I won South Carolina and I have Ted Kennedy's endorsement and funding."

"I'll think about it."
---

CARTER DROPS OUT, CHISHOLM PRESUMPTIVE NOMINEE?!?
April 1, 1976 - In a shock to many, Governor Carter has dropped out, making Shirley Chisholm the presumptive nominee.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies