Denver will Host 2008 Democratic National Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:00:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Denver will Host 2008 Democratic National Convention
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Denver will Host 2008 Democratic National Convention  (Read 2179 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2007, 11:42:43 AM »
« edited: January 11, 2007, 11:44:14 AM by TheresNoMoney »

Decision was made yesterday:

http://hotlineblog.nationaljournal.com/
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 12:17:19 PM »

My wife was not happy to hear to we're moving from CO before the convention. Since just missed the '04 one when we left MA.

At the rate we've moving in comparision to the DNC, the '12 one will be in Oklahoma City.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 12:21:47 PM »

No real surprise.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 12:21:53 PM »

Good move. We need some variety, and we've gone to New York City too many times already. Not to mention getting it out of the Northeast is a good move politically.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 01:33:48 PM »

Swing state in a quickly growing region. Good move, Dems.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 02:46:52 PM »

RNC 2008 in:

* Minneapolis/St. Paul (my favorite) - has come to hand Smiley

DNC 2008 in:

* Denver (my favorite) - let´s wait and see Smiley

We waited and saw ... Wink Good decision !
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 04:00:18 PM »

Very good locations for both conventions.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 04:23:16 PM »

I agree.  It doesn't seem like anyone has realized what a good choice Minnesota was for the GOP.  If they do manage to win in 2008 I think Minnesota and Wisconsin will likely go Republican.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 04:32:57 PM »

If they do manage to win in 2008 I think Minnesota and Wisconsin will likely go Republican.

Why?
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 06:08:05 PM »

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 06:15:08 PM »

If I ever get into power, I am going to create a law... all political conventions shall be in either Philadelphia or Chicago  Smiley
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 06:16:35 PM »

If they do manage to win in 2008 I think Minnesota and Wisconsin will likely go Republican.

Why?

Because supposing the Republicans win in 2008, then it is likely that they will either hold all the Bush states or expand into the purple states.  Because Wisconsin and Minnesota are swing states, the likelihood of it being won by a Republican increases if a Republican wins the presidential election.

MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 06:27:17 PM »

Great choice. This will be a great convention, especially after we win the CO Senate seat in 2008.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 06:29:32 PM »

Great choice. This will be a great convention, especially after we win the CO Senate seat in 2008.

Presumably it won't come after the impending Democratic victory in Colorado. That would be a bit of a problem for the Democrats, having their convention after the elections.

Good move on the Democrats' part, though.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 06:31:45 PM »

Because supposing the Republicans win in 2008, then it is likely that they will either hold all the Bush states or expand into the purple states.

Or the Bush states splinter and they expand into the Democratic states. I can see the GOP losing Ohio while taking a state or two that went for Kerry.

Because Wisconsin and Minnesota are swing states, the likelihood of it being won by a Republican increases if a Republican wins the presidential election.

Obviously. They're more likely to go Republican in that case, not "likely." There's a difference. In any case, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wisconsin go Republican in '08, but I really doubt that Minnesota flips. That state has been "trending Republican" for about three decades now.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 06:35:44 PM »

Because supposing the Republicans win in 2008, then it is likely that they will either hold all the Bush states or expand into the purple states.

Or the Bush states splinter and they expand into the Democratic states. I can see the GOP losing Ohio while taking a state or two that went for Kerry.

Because Wisconsin and Minnesota are swing states, the likelihood of it being won by a Republican increases if a Republican wins the presidential election.

Obviously. They're more likely to go Republican in that case, not "likely." There's a difference. In any case, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wisconsin go Republican in '08, but I really doubt that Minnesota flips. That state has been "trending Republican" for about three decades now.

Well, supposing that everything is 50/50 in '08, you can add in the convention factor.  Then there is Tim Pawlenty - there is a very good chance that he will be the vice presidential nominee.  With Pawlenty on the ticket, Minnesota is almost a certain Republican pick-up.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 06:46:29 PM »

Well, supposing that everything is 50/50 in '08, you can add in the convention factor.  Then there is Tim Pawlenty - there is a very good chance that he will be the vice presidential nominee.  With Pawlenty on the ticket, Minnesota is almost a certain Republican pick-up.

"An almost certain pick-up"? Right. The Republicans might have as good as a 50-50 chance of taking Minnesota if Pawlenty is the VP nominee.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 06:46:39 PM »

There's always the chance that it will disintegrate into chaos, à la Chicago 1968. There will be lots of angry antiwar protestors, methinks... Wink

Then there is Tim Pawlenty - there is a very good chance that he will be the vice presidential nominee.

Aside from a few caveats (he only won 47 percent of the vote, and he's bending over for the DFL legislature in his second term), I think Pawlenty would be a decent choice. Barbour or Huckabee would be better veeps for someone like McCain, though, because a Pawlenty selection would add fuel to the "RINO" fire of the far right.

With Pawlenty on the ticket, Minnesota is almost a certain Republican pick-up.

50/50 at best. He would help more in neighboring Iowa and Wisconsin.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 07:13:50 PM »

Presumably it won't come after the impending Democratic victory in Colorado. That would be a bit of a problem for the Democrats, having their convention after the elections.

Good move on the Democrats' part, though.

Bad wording, you know what i mean.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 07:18:26 PM »

With Pawlenty on the ticket, Minnesota is almost a certain Republican pick-up.

You're saying this about a guy who barely squeeked out a win with 47% of the vote?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 07:25:27 PM »

Yes, the 2009 Democratic National Convention. You call me stupid?
Conan
conan

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 08:15:43 PM »

Excellent decision. Having it in NYC makes no sense.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 10:00:10 PM »

I would have liked it in New York (as a New Yorker) but Denver makes more sense really. Colorado (like Minnesota) will be one of the major battlegrounds in 2008.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 10:16:14 PM »

Naso, please. People know what I meant, you're an idiot.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 01:52:31 AM »

Naso, please. People know what I meant, you're an idiot.

MAS, grow up with the "you're an idiot!" stuff, ok? I certainly didn't know what you meant and was prepared to comment on it, too, until others called you out on your bad wording. You know you'd attack Naso for a similar comment. The fact that 90% of your posts recently have been attacks on him is really annoying.

As for this move by the Dems, I think we all knew they were going to Colorado ever since they narrowed it down to Denver and NYC. It's a good pick.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies