New York City Council raises age to buy cigarettes to 21 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 07:16:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New York City Council raises age to buy cigarettes to 21 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New York City Council raises age to buy cigarettes to 21  (Read 5103 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:59:55 AM »

Good move, it's pretty stupid the age for tobacco is lower than alcohol. Obviously the alcohol purchasing age should be dropped too but that's not something NYC can handle.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 11:41:29 PM »

Strawman. I support an 18 age for voting, contracts and buying alcohol (and marijuana too). Just not tobacco.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 11:43:36 PM »

Also tobacco is utterly finksing disgusting trash. Sickening worthless garbage. Why should i give an inks if that repellent filth is further restricted?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 10:04:36 AM »

If tobacco was illegal and marijuana was legal there'd be no black market for tobacco like there is with marijuana now. No one would have desire to smoke cigarettes if they were illegal, it's not a "fun" drug.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 12:23:53 AM »
« Edited: November 02, 2013, 12:26:46 AM by Puddle Splashers »

The problem I have with tobacco that makes it so much different from other drugs is it's so pointless. It just makes you smell bad and kills your lungs. That's it. No cool highs or hallucinations or nice effects from it. Get high all you inksing want and I don't care but there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to smoke cigarettes. The only reason people smoke is because of marketing and making it "cool" to get them started and hooked. None of that would happen if it wasn't legal. The only reason there's a tobacco black market now is people who are already hooked want to buy it cheaper. There's a reason why in the last 40 years tobacco consumption has halved, while marijuana and alcohol consumption rates have basically remained the same.

There's a reason why the US and Canada have virtually identical marijuana and alcohol consumption rates, but in the US tobacco has about a 20% higher tobacco consumption rate. In addition to Canadian tobacco taxes being far higher than just about anywhere in the US the packaging and marketing is far more restricted.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 09:44:54 PM »

Ban cigarettes! Legalise marijuana!

'Ram a spliff up big tobacco's arse! Support small, independent Columbian business!'

Roll Eyes

Colombia is where cocaine comes from, not pot. There's no point in smuggling pot all the way from Colombia when it can be grown quite easily domestically. Even in terms of weed imported to the US more comes from Canada than any other country.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies