What districts would have Dems won back if not for gerrymandering? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:49:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What districts would have Dems won back if not for gerrymandering? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What districts would have Dems won back if not for gerrymandering?  (Read 23681 times)
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« on: July 01, 2013, 10:58:53 PM »

I am just assuming the GOP controlled legislature states didn't change anything from 2000 maps. Of course NC-2 was very gerrymandered, a fair NC map would probably have a Wake County based district that takes up most if not all of the county. And I have to keep GOP in PA-12 b/c that seat was being eliminated regardless, although the Democrats would have chopped up Pittsburgh.

At the risk of turning this into another NC redistricting thread, this is my fair map of NC:

The Democrats lose CD2 but get another D-leaning seat in the Triad.

Those districts are beautiful.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 11:15:54 PM »

Thanks! Cheesy

If you'd like, we did a whole thread on that least summer. I came up with a court-drawn map in that thread too, but I recently went back and made a few tweaks (which resulted in the map I posted here).

As I see you're new, welcome! Wink

You're welcome. The thing I like most about your map is that the two counties that are large enough to have one district completely within their boundaries (Wake and Mecklenberg Counties) both have a district within them.

Also, with regards to the main topic, I'm surprised no one has mentioned pickup opportunities in Florida. Even with the new regulations, there was still room for gerrymandering.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 11:24:55 PM »

Eh, Cleveland can fit in one district, actually.  Columbus, OTOH, not so much anymore (especially not with its insane boundaries).  And at this point I'd probably prefer a district that took in all of Cleveland to one which snaked down to Akron as a way of disguising a Republican gerrymander in VRA's clothing.

Interesting. Your own map made the, err, convenient choice of splitting Cleveland, Columbus, and Akron, and not Cincinnati and replicates that so called gerrymandering tactic.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=124180.msg3385020#msg3385020

That's not the most recent map I've posted w/r/t Ohio, this is:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=173216.msg3723134#msg3723134

You will note that I have changed my mind since, and now would prefer a whole Cleveland.

And, you do realize that: a) splitting Cleveland and Akron like I did is a pro-Republican move, and if it is to be justified, would be justified via the VRA anyway (not an issue in Cincy) and b) Columbus is too large for a district, so you have to split it no matter what (and the municipal boundaries are such that an all-Columbus district is basically impossible). 

I await your retraction. Patiently.  Tongue

Yeah. I tried my own hand at drawing a Columbus district. The city's population means that it's impossible to fit the entire city entirely in one district, and even with a compact Columbus district, it can't be all Columbus, as there are too many enclave communities within the cities to be able to do so.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies