Describe This Voter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 08:32:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Describe This Voter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe This Voter  (Read 305 times)
ABTars2000
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2017, 12:19:07 PM »

How would you describe the demographics/political beliefs of this voter
1988: Dukakis
1992: Perot
1996: Dole
2000: Bill Bradley in Democratic Primary, but Bush in General Election
2004: Bush
2008: Obama
2012: Huntsman in Republican Primary, Obama in General Election
2016: Kasich in Republican Primary, Clinton in General Election
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 12:38:37 PM »

I'm gonna go with a Northeastern Rockefeller Republican, a male who I'd guess lives in a suburb in Pennsylvania or Maine. Between 1988 to 2016 was probably 30 to 58 years old.

The 2000 vote makes me think someone who dislikes the Democratic party's centrism and maybe views the Republicans as standing for something other than victory for themselves.

Also it seems to me like they may have started out as someone who admired big ideas liberalism, or just new ideas in general, but then went to the Republican party, disenchanted with the Democrats. The 2008-2016 votes make me think it's also someone who dislikes the hard-right direction Republicans have taken.

Although I've noticed, a lot of independent voters seem to have voted Democratic recently, simply because "good" Republicans are not available. A lot of independents who voted Obama in 2008 were influenced by the hype around him, but that wouldn't have happened twice, in 2012 Obama won because the Republicans nominated a bad candidate while the party itself was drifting harder right. I actually remember a lot of people after the 2012 election saying stuff like "I voted for Obama again, but not with the same enthusiasm as 2008. This time he was just the better choice"

I can see how independents who lean Rockefeller Republican were also for Clinton in 2016, Trump was too foreign and espoused views that conflicted with their morals. I imagine most of them voted in the Republican primaries for Kasich or Rubio, or strategically voting for Cruz, but supporting Clinton after Trump won the Republican nomination.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 04:54:56 PM »

I can see how independents who lean Rockefeller Republican were also for Clinton in 2016, Trump was too foreign and espoused views that conflicted with their morals. I imagine most of them voted in the Republican primaries for Kasich, but supporting Clinton after Trump won the Republican nomination.
There are LOTS of these in suburban Southern California.

I'm in Middle Tennessee, although I wouldn't consider myself a Rockefeller Republican, I voted for Rubio in the primary (my whole family actually voted strategically, trying to draw delegates away from Trump we decided my mom and I would vote for Rubio to boost his numbers by 2 because he had less strong support in TN than Trump or Cruz, and my dad would vote for Cruz because he had stronger support than Rubio but less strong than Trump) and after Trump clinched the Republican nomination, my mother and I were going to vote for Gary Johnson, then when McMullin entered we supported him. My father moved towards supporting Trump. We're all neocons but it was basically me and my mother were like "if not having Trump president means Clinton being elected, then so be it" while my father was like "Republican no matter what"
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 10:16:50 PM »

Moderate Hero
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies