I Cant Believe I'm Writing This, But: "In Defense of Phil Robertson" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 05:00:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  I Cant Believe I'm Writing This, But: "In Defense of Phil Robertson" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I Cant Believe I'm Writing This, But: "In Defense of Phil Robertson"  (Read 3509 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: December 19, 2013, 01:05:06 AM »

As other people have said, the right to free speech is not a right to say stupid things with no consequences.  If you actually respect your own voice as a member of society, you are careful about what you say and you don't say things that are 1. dumb or 2. hateful to other people.  If you say those type of things, people will think you're dumb and/or hateful.  It isn't our prerogative to refrain from judgment of the content of other people's speech.  If you want me to respect what you're saying,  defend your points with reasonable speech and convince me.  That' the marketplace of ideas.

Also, please don't tell me to tolerate homophobia.  Homophobia is an attack on gay people and any civilized person.  Responding to homophobia and confronting it is self-defense.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 01:13:53 PM »

As a side note: Where were the right-wingers, who apparently now value "free speech", when the Dixie Chicks' musical careers were derailed in 2003?

Rhetorical Question...
I was an eight year old who thought their comment was stupid and that radio stations had a right to decide if they want to defend them or throw them out the window.

As for the rest of the right wing, who cares? Do you really find Sarah Palin's opinion relevant?

That brings up a good point I think.  Free speech is not just a legal concept.  It is something we ought to respect in public life.  If someone has a legitimate political viewpoint, I don't think it's right to boycott them or treat them like a pariah. 

If the redneck guy on TV had expressed something unpopular about the government or policy, I would hope we didn't suspend him from TV.  But, there's something about saying derogatory things about a group of people that puts you outside what polite society ought to accept. 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 02:16:17 PM »

That brings up a good point I think.  Free speech is not just a legal concept.  It is something we ought to respect in public life.  If someone has a legitimate political viewpoint, I don't think it's right to boycott them or treat them like a pariah.

So Duckhomophob Idiot's rights outweigh my right to pick which TV shows I watch?  This guy has a right to say whatever moronic stuff he wants.  A&E or AMC has a right to pick who they have on their PRIVATE network and I have a right to pick which network I watch and who's products I buy.  We all have rights.  I respect his right to be an idiot and he by law must respect my right to call him an idiot.

Well, no because if you read on in what I said, I made it clear that what he said is not legitimate political discourse.  And, obviously, if you find someone distasteful, you can refuse to watch their TV show.  I didn't argue against that.  Don't put words in my mouth. 

But, I do think respecting other people's legitimate political opinions in the workplace is a part of free speech and respect for an open discourse.  Just like if you're an employee of Walmart, you should be able to talk about union organizing in your private life.  If you're an employee of CNBC, you should be able to advocate a higher minimum wage and breaking up the big banks.  You shouldn't be fired or disciplined for political beliefs, even if your employer does have the legal right to fire you at will.  And, in general as citizens, we shouldn't try to chill or censor speech that we dislike or disagree with.  Again, except if that speech is racist, homophobic, advocating violence or otherwise beyond the pale.  That's the line I would draw.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies