I Cant Believe I'm Writing This, But: "In Defense of Phil Robertson" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:44:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  I Cant Believe I'm Writing This, But: "In Defense of Phil Robertson" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I Cant Believe I'm Writing This, But: "In Defense of Phil Robertson"  (Read 3498 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: December 18, 2013, 10:50:17 PM »

Phil Robertson is facing vicious attacks, largely, from those who often speak in favor of tolerance, diversity of opinion, and freedom of expression. Is this the mark of a civilized society? I think not.

I don't consider railing against homosexuals to be a mark of a civilized society either.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 02:10:13 AM »

The more recent statement, while dumb and sheltered (no LA blacks were singing the blues in the 50's and 60's? That's metaphorically and litterally incorrect as hell), wasn't overtly racist in a hateful and n-word overt kind of way. Duck Dynasty is a white hot mega-franchise that isn't likely to be sunk by these gaffes.

The folks who watch Duck Dynasty, in my experience, tend to skew conservative anyway.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 12:59:26 PM »

Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 05:50:05 PM »

So it took these latest statements for A&E to realize the old white rural southern male hunter and self described "red neck" had less than PC views on gays and minorities?

I suspect the cutting room floor of Duck Dynasty is full of 'colorful' comments about his (and his kids) views on the world.

You obviously don't know why this guy got a little vacation.  You can think and say whatever you want in private.  But when you go to the press and start spouting that stuff that's when your boss is going to have an issue.  Do people on this forum not have jobs?

Of course I know why they did it. My point was this guy was a ticking time-bomb. They grabbed a bigoted backwoods redneck and made him a national media star. They should have seen this coming. And my other point was that I'm sure that he has said many inappropriate things during the filming of the show that they just edit it. They created a sanitized version of the guy that was acceptable, but we now see the real person that A&E always knew was there.

Of course they'd edit that out -- Duck Dynasty is a heavily scripted reality show.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 06:24:46 PM »

Robertson Family, circa 2001.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 07:15:05 PM »

I feel bad for their kids. How could they actually want to be a part of this?

fame; money
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 07:24:09 PM »

Louisiana Lt. Gov Dardenne offers state aid to keep "Duck Dynasty" on the air.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 02:11:21 PM »

Is the state of Louisiana doing so badly that there entire economy depends on this hick family, their business and their show?     Also, why would they want that to be the representation of their state?

All their beaches are oil-filled hazardous waste dumps thanks to BP. Their largest city got razed by Katrina. An as-seen-on-TV duck call business is all they have left.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies