I Cant Believe I'm Writing This, But: "In Defense of Phil Robertson" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 08:08:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  I Cant Believe I'm Writing This, But: "In Defense of Phil Robertson" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I Cant Believe I'm Writing This, But: "In Defense of Phil Robertson"  (Read 3510 times)
Mordecai
Australia

« on: December 19, 2013, 08:16:50 AM »

A&E isn't the government and Phil Robertson isn't being charged with anything so I don't see what the big deal is. It's the same thing that happened to Paula Deen and Martin Bashir.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 03:54:45 AM »

If you think I'm taking Phil's side in this whole boondoggle, you'd be right. His statements on the marriage debate are not that much different than what I've said. Remember when Adrian Peterson of the Minneasota Vikings came out against gay marriage? Why wasn't he attacked by the left wing dominant media types? There's a clear double standard in how folks are treated when they say controversial things. Why does it seem that the only folks that get raked over the coals when they say contraversal stuff are straight Christian guys and Caucasians especially?
Not really, that's just a martyr complex of straight white Christian guys who are mad that's it's not 1950 anymore and that people would be offended at their intolerant views. They're free to say what they want just as other people are free to call them out on it and the network is free to remove them from the show because they don't want to be associated with homophobia. Isn't that what libertarians believe in, anyway? That the network can choose whether they continue to have him on the show, based on consumer criticism? Shouldn't you be against the homophobes because the gays didn't do any deserve this kind of bigotry?

And there's a difference between what Phil Robertson said versus what Adrian Peterson said, it's the same difference that separates Chris Christie from the rest of the Republicans. He didn't demonize gays or try to turn them into something less than human, he just plainly said he didn't believe in same-sex marriage. Peterson's still wrong on the issue but he wasn't actually homophobic in his remarks like Robertson.

Did Obama's pastor get called out by the media over the racist or anti-American things in some of his sermons (like his "Americans chickens have come home to roost."  or his Na na na Not God Bless America [Profanity Redacted] America."  After 9/11. No he didn't because the media was in the tank for Obama and the left.
Wright doesn't have his own TV show (Martin Bashir did, so don't start with that liberal media nonsense in a landscape dominated by corporate media) and he was scrutinized by the media. That's why Obama publically disowned him and left his church. Why doesn't the media do the same to white Republican fundamentalist Christians?

The Dixie Chicks derailed for the fact that they weren't all that great as artists more than for whatever comments they said over the War on Terror.
No, they were crucified by the media and right-wing for that. It says a lot about you that you would even defend discrimination against gays but put down war protest. Also, Duck Dynasty isn't that great of a show, that's why Phil Robertson was derailed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies