Regarding AOC, and the importance of selling green politics (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 08:06:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Regarding AOC, and the importance of selling green politics (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Regarding AOC, and the importance of selling green politics  (Read 1059 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: February 18, 2019, 01:16:30 AM »

I'm not a Climate Denier, and I believe that Global Warming is due, at least in part, to human behavior.  But I'd also point out that while we have ALTERNATIVES to fossil fuels, we do not have a SUBSTITUTE for fossil fuels, at least not as of now.  And we're not on the brink of having a substitute, either.  Green New Deals need to go forward with that reality.

But as I understand it, and I'll be the first to note that this plan is by their authors own admission still very much a work-in-progress, at the very least it seeks to phase out fossil fuels over a considerable period of time, not eliminate them entirely. Part of it includes tax breaks for electric cars Etc as having been discussed herein.

Electric cars are not as good of a solution as many people imagine (at least in the short-term), since it puts them on a grid that is still 63% generated by fossil fuels, and that number will be difficult to bring down. Hoping that true substitutes exist for fossil fuels long-term and planning as if they will be there is risky. Besides, the larger work vehicles like trucks and vans that consume more gasoline would also be trickier to develop in electric models, because of the considerable energy that they need to run.

I would like to see more emphasis placed on nuclear power, but 1) the environmentalists would not accept that deal and 2) it has a limited lifespan as a power source given that uranium, much like coal, oil, and gas, is limited in the Earth's crust.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies