Would you terminate a pregnancy if the pre-natal test was positive for DS? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 07:01:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you terminate a pregnancy if the pre-natal test was positive for DS? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Author Topic: Would you terminate a pregnancy if the pre-natal test was positive for DS?  (Read 3762 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: January 26, 2018, 12:43:38 AM »

Yes. Ignore, even, the realistic issues that parents have to face in that situation -
Down's Syndrome is a terrible life that I wouldn't wish on anyone.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 01:32:41 AM »

When my mom was pregnant with me, my parents were told that I was going to have down syndrome and abortion was put on the table. My mom chose not to terminate the pregnancy.

I was born without down syndrome.

If the fact that people with DS are people is somehow not enough, the fact that testing isn't accurate should be.

I am not against abortion. I am against abortion solely based on some possible negative disorder that the fetus may or may not even have.

What reason do you think it's acceptable to terminate a pregnancy, then?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 05:31:18 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2018, 05:35:16 AM by Rep. Oakvale »

When my mom was pregnant with me, my parents were told that I was going to have down syndrome and abortion was put on the table. My mom chose not to terminate the pregnancy.

I was born without down syndrome.

If the fact that people with DS are people is somehow not enough, the fact that testing isn't accurate should be.

I am not against abortion. I am against abortion solely based on some possible negative disorder that the fetus may or may not even have.

What reason do you think it's acceptable to terminate a pregnancy, then?
Let me be clear: I'm saying (or trying and possibly failing to say) that someone who wants a child and plans on carrying the fetus to term but then is faced with the possibility of having a baby with DS should not have an abortion solely based on that diagnosis due to it possibly being incorrect. If this hypothetical person still went through with an abortion, then I'd support her right to do so, even if I objected to her decision on moral grounds.

Sure. But, to you, in what situation, then, is abortion not morally objectionable? Only accidental pregnancy or rape etc.?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies