looks like Tsipras has folded (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 04:51:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  looks like Tsipras has folded (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: looks like Tsipras has folded  (Read 7977 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: July 09, 2015, 06:34:03 PM »

The neoliberals have exacted their punishment of Greece for the crime of thinking that they have some control of their own country's economy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 09:15:39 PM »

When even a country is unable to stand up to the bankers, it's really time to reign their powers in. Too bad the TISA agreement being negotiated between the US, EU, and some other countries would make the bankers even less regulated and more powerful.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 05:31:19 AM »

I had always suspected this would happen, but that referendum was the most jaw-droppingly stupid stunt I have ever seen in politics. You make a point of calling a referendum when no one expected you to do so, the side you publically campaigned on won resoundingly, and a few days later you do exactly the opposite of both the referendum result and your own stated position. Talk about loss of dignity. No one in the EU could have humiliated Tsipiras as bad as he did to himself.

True, he shouldn't have capitulated. This makes even Obama's 2011 capitulation on the debt ceiling not look too bad.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 06:02:21 PM »

Today's events give great credence to the theory that the last few weeks have been nothing more than shadowpuppetry trying to put the blame for grexit on one party or another.

On Germany's part, certainly. It's crystal-clear they don't give two f**ks about finding a mutually acceptable agreement.

Not necessarily Germany. Finland has just come out and said they are against a bailout and want Grexit. The Finns Party threatened to bring down the government otherwise.

Anyway, it looks like the Anti-Greece camp might get their way after all. Perhaps Tsipras is a successful master of 5D chess after all.

I figured he might try to give the most away in a deal that would be rejected, but I didn't think the rest of the EU would be insane enough to reject this total giveaway to the bankers.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 02:06:39 AM »

Looks like Tsipras capitulated to all demands.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/eurozone-leaders-reach-unanimous-agreement-on-greece-says-eus-tusk-1436771076
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 05:27:58 PM »

Sunday closing is a luxury now? Good grief.

Well, it is a bit like fox hunt, isn't it? Something both abominable  and wastefulthat rich people nevertheless enjoy, if they can afford it.

Oh f-ck off... As a genetic part-ulsterman, the idea that Sunday closing is 'for rich people' is one of the strangest and most hilarious ideas I've ever heard. Clearly in Mexico or Russia they lack the tradition of Sabbatarianism so prevalent in parts of the British Isles (slowly diminishing as we speak).

But hey it's leisure, and we all know that only the rich can relax.

Here in the US, I think stores are allowed to be open whichever days of the week they feel like. I noticed some strange store that is only open on Saturdays.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies