Neil Gorsuch Confirmation Process Discussion (confirmed 54-45) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:58:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Neil Gorsuch Confirmation Process Discussion (confirmed 54-45) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Neil Gorsuch Confirmation Process Discussion (confirmed 54-45)  (Read 56693 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: March 19, 2017, 06:42:51 AM »

Michael Bennet was already the kind of trash that needs to taken to the curb before this.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 07:06:02 PM »

Trump wins again!

Link

The deal Democrats would be most likely to pursue, the sources said, would be to allow confirmation of Gorsuch in exchange for a commitment from Republicans not to kill the filibuster for a subsequent vacancy during President Donald Trump’s term.

Democrats think we're stupid enough to believe that they're that stupid. Hahahaahahahaa.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 03:17:28 AM »

I'm starting to worry that Dems finally understand that the nuclear option would hurt them way more than the GOP as I clarified multiple times. Seems that different than the Leftists here, they aren't that illusional.

Still hoping they won't deliver 8 votes, the GOP needs to change the Filibuster rule to get a real Conservative Justice when RBG/Breyer/Kennedy retire, what will surely happen until 2020.

I'm also loving the butthut liberal Twitter Replies to the Dems coming back to sanity and supporting that outstanding nominee. Please donate as much as possible to liberal challengers, please defeat them in the Primary or at least don't vote for them in the General election. Nothing is better for the GOP and makes the pickups more possible than that ^^

Garland was a moderate hero who likely would have sided with the right-wing on Citizens United, and the Republicans blocked him from any hearings. Gorsuch is to the right of Scalia. It's the least that every single Senator who calls themselves a Democrat can do to vote against cloture.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 05:02:09 PM »

Bennet is begging so hard for a primary challenge.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 11:54:01 PM »

For all the discussion about how Merrick Garland is a "moderate" candidate, I have yet to hear precisely how. He certainly would rule with the liberal wing on the vast majority of hot-button cases. If I recall, some of the several analyses I read last spring had Garland 'ranked' in the middle of the liberal wing -- to the left of Justice Kagan and Justice Breyer. Was Garland a mainstream pick? Yes. Was he a 'moderate' pick? That I'm not nearly as convinced of.

The only divergence he seemed to have, really, was his tendency to give police/authority the benefit of the doubt on criminal justice issues. His age (63 as opposed to in his 40s) was clearly a compromise for Republicans.

I am just wary of the 'moderate' label here. Democrats suggested Bush pick Sonia Sotomayor instead of Alito, arguing she was a moderate, centrist choice. That hasn't exactly held up.

The ranking of him in the middle of the 4 "liberals" was bogus.

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/16/11250100/merrick-garland-judicial-ideology
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 01:25:00 AM »

If Republicans can't break the filibuster, they should find another nominee.

That's my view.

Their official excuse is that if Democrats won't accept Gorsuch, they won't accept anyone. Personally I think it's a load a crap - if Trump withdrew Gorsuch and put up a Republican version of Garland, at least an additional handful of Democrats would peel off and vote for him and thus overcome the filibuster, knowing that it is the best they can get given the situation.

The reality is that Republicans only want a "consensus candidate" when it is a Democrat making the nomination. There is little chance a Republican president would make such a nomination willingly.

I totally disagree. Gorsuch is maybe the most qualified nominee to even imagine. His background is terrific. He's in the unanimous majority 97% of the time (in a 7-5 Dem Court) and 99% in the majority. You may not like it, but the Dems aren't filibustering Gorsuch, they are filibustering the President and the Majority Leader.

But, ant that's the good news: We'll never know whether me or you is right. Cause Gorsuch will be confirmed tomorrow and there will never ever be a SCOTUS Filibuster again. Just imagine Bill Pryor for low energy RBG. I'm praying for that entertainment.

Nevertheless, calling RBG, Breyer, Sotomajor and Kagan "consensus candidate" so embarrassing for you that I simply laugh about it. What an utter nonsense. Roberts is way more moderate/consensus than them all.

There have certainly been nominees with a more impressive resume before, like Robert Taft.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 01:44:28 AM »

If Republicans can't break the filibuster, they should find another nominee.

That's my view.

Their official excuse is that if Democrats won't accept Gorsuch, they won't accept anyone. Personally I think it's a load a crap - if Trump withdrew Gorsuch and put up a Republican version of Garland, at least an additional handful of Democrats would peel off and vote for him and thus overcome the filibuster, knowing that it is the best they can get given the situation.

The reality is that Republicans only want a "consensus candidate" when it is a Democrat making the nomination. There is little chance a Republican president would make such a nomination willingly.

I totally disagree. Gorsuch is maybe the most qualified nominee to even imagine. His background is terrific. He's in the unanimous majority 97% of the time (in a 7-5 Dem Court) and 99% in the majority. You may not like it, but the Dems aren't filibustering Gorsuch, they are filibustering the President and the Majority Leader.

But, ant that's the good news: We'll never know whether me or you is right. Cause Gorsuch will be confirmed tomorrow and there will never ever be a SCOTUS Filibuster again. Just imagine Bill Pryor for low energy RBG. I'm praying for that entertainment.

Nevertheless, calling RBG, Breyer, Sotomajor and Kagan "consensus candidate" so embarrassing for you that I simply laugh about it. What an utter nonsense. Roberts is way more moderate/consensus than them all.

There have certainly been nominees with a more impressive resume before, like Robert Taft.

I don't know what qualifications every past Justice had but Gorsuch with Harvard, Columbus, Oxford, clerking for two SCOTUS Justices (one Democrat, one Republican, both moderates to conservatives in the mainstream), 10 years at the Appeals Courts is simply hard to overcome - at Age 49.

What else should he have? Okay, maybe something from Germany :-D

Well, Taft had been both a Court of appeals judge and a President, so that kind of wins.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 04:05:10 PM »

I hope no one thinks that there are any Republican moderates in the Senate.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies