Neil Gorsuch Confirmation Process Discussion (confirmed 54-45) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:06:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Neil Gorsuch Confirmation Process Discussion (confirmed 54-45) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Neil Gorsuch Confirmation Process Discussion (confirmed 54-45)  (Read 56702 times)
mencken
« on: March 22, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »

- He has to be pushed to even give implied support for Griswold v. Connecticut and Eisenstadt v. Baird.

- He is clearly insufficiently committed to at least seriously considering overturning Roe v. Wade, and even implied cautious support for it.

so you want him to strongly oppose Roe but also strongly support the cases that provided Roe's legal underpinning?

More than anything, I just want some consistency here - cautiously Supporting roe but being skeptical of cases that allow contraception makes little sense. But yes, I would prefer a judge who supports contraception (Grizwold/Baird), but opposes Abortion (roe).

God forbid we have a judge that applies the law without regard to its implications for specific policy issues.
mencken
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 08:11:59 PM »

I hope for the best with Gorsuch. I think he might end up better than Scalia. But now I am praying the 4 line can hold out a few more years.

Dont count on it. Gorsuch is basically Rush Limbaugh with a more refined vocabulary

That gives me an idea for Ginsberg's eventual replacement.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies