Opinion of quote "A Christian society would be what we now call Leftist"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:56:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of quote "A Christian society would be what we now call Leftist"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of quote?
FQ

HQ

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Opinion of quote "A Christian society would be what we now call Leftist"?  (Read 1447 times)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« on: October 15, 2022, 07:26:15 PM »

It's tough to argue with honestly. If you read the New Testament, Christian day-to-day life and organization seems to be very collectivist and revolves around communities providing for the needs of each other. I've long argued that biblical Christianity is completely incompatible with the lifestyles of modern Americans.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 11:59:14 PM »

It's tough to argue with honestly. If you read the New Testament, Christian day-to-day life and organization seems to be very collectivist and revolves around communities providing for the needs of each other. I've long argued that biblical Christianity is completely incompatible with the lifestyles of modern Americans.
And basically any large, complex society.

No wonder that Christianity has developed so many interpretations to shoehorn it into literally any ideological framework you can think of. Jesus gave the slaves and the oppressed dignity and worth, but he gave them no guidance for how to live once they were no longer slaves or oppressed.

Yeah I know, I'm a broken record on this.

I think the issue is that Christianity was clearly never expected to be a majority religion. A big part of why Christians in America get so conspiratorial is because they have to pretend that they're persecuted, as persecution is an essential part of the Christian faith.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 03:56:39 PM »

Ah yes leftism and its ideological fervor towards checks notes perpetuating the cult of domesticity (Yes, Corinthians 14:33-35 was fair for its day in allowing women to publicly worship period however you’d think a divinely-inspired Paul would dictate a more universalist message.) Remember, Fuzzy Bear is more representative of Christianity than anyone else on this forum.

He absolutely is not. He's representative of Christian-themed American cultural conservatism, but there's nothing biblical about any of it. People who haven't read the bible, or don't care about anything it actually says, don't realize just how incompatible the American lifestyle is with biblical Christianity.

The New Testament is clear that a Christian's efforts outside of earning a modest living are to be wholly dedicated to serving others in the name of Christ. There is no honest reading of the bible in which sitting in a La-Z-Boy in a comfy American home can be seen as representative of Christianity.

If we're judging based on the standards set in the Christian scripture, no one on this website is representative of Christianity.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 01:09:10 PM »

Ah yes leftism and its ideological fervor towards checks notes perpetuating the cult of domesticity (Yes, Corinthians 14:33-35 was fair for its day in allowing women to publicly worship period however you’d think a divinely-inspired Paul would dictate a more universalist message.) Remember, Fuzzy Bear is more representative of Christianity than anyone else on this forum.

He absolutely is not. He's representative of Christian-themed American cultural conservatism, but there's nothing biblical about any of it. People who haven't read the bible, or don't care about anything it actually says, don't realize just how incompatible the American lifestyle is with biblical Christianity.

The New Testament is clear that a Christian's efforts outside of earning a modest living are to be wholly dedicated to serving others in the name of Christ. There is no honest reading of the bible in which sitting in a La-Z-Boy in a comfy American home can be seen as representative of Christianity.

If we're judging based on the standards set in the Christian scripture, no one on this website is representative of Christianity.

Fuzzy Bear is a Evangelical Protestant who believes that the Bible is the ONLY source of inspitarion, thus he has to take it literally; every word.

Of course; the Catholics and the Orthodoxs would say no; of course not.

He says that, but on certain issues he twists it around to mean other things. I remember he and ER said that Jesus Christ's explicit condemnation of public prayer as actually technically only applying to Jewish Pharisees 2000 years ago. They're very creative when they need to be to defend modern "christian" culture, which the Bible very much comes second to.

But this is a bit rude, he's not even part of this conversation. The only reason I responded to that earlier thing is because I strongly disagree with the notion that any American fake christians are representative of the Bible because their lifestyles and behavior are completely foreign to anything prescribed by the New Testament.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies