COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:12:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 201
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 5: The Trumps catch COVID-19  (Read 269330 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2550 on: May 22, 2020, 10:46:11 AM »

I still don’t understand why Trump doesn’t make MAGA masks...
They would honestly be a great way to protect yourself and your voter base from disease while also owning the libs.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #2551 on: May 22, 2020, 10:46:11 AM »

Surrounded by Ford executives who were wearing masks, Trump told reporters he had put one on earlier in the visit.

“I had one on before. I wore one in the back area. I didn’t want to give the press the pleasure of seeing it,” he said.

"I could've gone out with that SUPER hot girl.  But when she asked me, I said no.  But I could've.  I totally could've."
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #2552 on: May 22, 2020, 10:47:03 AM »

I'll never understand why governors think it's okay to reopen now.

Also, I'm taking any information Oxford says with a truckload of salt. Wasn't their vaccine reported not to work?

We need to start reopening now. The damage of perpetual lockdown is not worth it.
Sure, but without widespread contact tracing, mask orders, and social distancing being enforced in public spaces, reopening would make things worse.

I don't even disagree with you.

Although I do not entirely believe in mandatory mask orders.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2553 on: May 22, 2020, 10:55:39 AM »

Basically this, especially in light of the WHO's opposition to masks.

However, in some industries, masks were always the best industry practice. Someone told me that this was the practice in certain parts of auto plants, and perhaps more so if it's repurposed to build ventilators. That's why Trump should have worn one.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2554 on: May 22, 2020, 12:36:03 PM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2555 on: May 22, 2020, 12:47:27 PM »

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2556 on: May 22, 2020, 01:03:22 PM »

Also, I'm taking any information Oxford says with a truckload of salt. Wasn't their vaccine reported not to work?

We need to start reopening now. The damage of perpetual lockdown is not worth it.
Sure, but without widespread contact tracing, mask orders, and social distancing being enforced in public spaces, reopening would make things worse.

Here’s the thing, I don’t want to have mask orders, nobody wants that except for a few masochists. However, it has become apparent that Americans are not going to wear masks unless they are made to do so. Due to our anti-intellectual culture, it seems when Americans are kindly asked to wear a mask, they instead do the opposite because they can (like little children) I don’t want to treat Americans like little children, but they are acting like such and give me no choice but to support mandatory mask orders.
Maybe where you live, people are wearing masks, but they aren’t here these days, even with our governor kindly advising people to wear masks.
 If we were a cohesive country with a populace that wore masks because it makes sense, we wouldn’t need this, but we aren’t.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #2557 on: May 22, 2020, 01:10:44 PM »

Here’s the thing, I don’t want to have mask orders, nobody wants that except for a few masochists. However, it has become apparent that Americans are not going to wear masks unless they are made to do so. Due to our anti-intellectual culture, it seems when Americans are kindly asked to wear a mask, they instead do the opposite because they can (like little children) I don’t want to treat Americans like little children, but they are acting like such and give me no choice but to support mandatory mask orders.
Maybe where you live, people are wearing masks, but they aren’t here these days, even with our governor kindly advising people to wear masks.
 If we were a cohesive country with a populace that wore masks because it makes sense, we wouldn’t need this, but we aren’t.

I still oppose mandatory mask orders on principle.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2558 on: May 22, 2020, 01:11:35 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2020, 01:20:50 PM by Virginiá »

Going to be hard to get Trump into the low 30s on any subject without some erosion among Republicans or a near-total collapse of support among indies.

If a Depression-like economy and a global pandemic that will have killed probably at least 120,000+ people in America by November (and probably a lot more) doesn't result in much lower approvals for Trump, then this country is hopeless. Not really because of Trump himself, but because it will be substantial evidence that America is just never going to hold any politician accountable for anything anymore. If they are your party's guy, then that's the end of the discussion. Future politicians will learn from this, and not anything good. The last thing anyone should want is politicians thinking they are untouchable so long as they pander enough to the right people.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2559 on: May 22, 2020, 01:23:52 PM »

There seems to be an epidemic of mass insanity in this country as well as the virus.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2560 on: May 22, 2020, 02:42:18 PM »

Today Trump said that churches are "essential services", and must reopen.  Roll Eyes  Thanks to our constitution, he’s probably (technically) right.

Reason #426 why this country is not structurally equipped to deal with a global viral pandemic.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2561 on: May 22, 2020, 03:08:49 PM »

If you take the position that the first Amendment applies to state governments, then I don't see how forcibly closing places of worship is constitutional. I think the first and 2nd Amendments are just too broad the way they're stated.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2562 on: May 22, 2020, 03:14:57 PM »

An economic casualty: Macy's was going to build a tech hub in midtown Atlanta, creating 630 well-paying jobs, but has canceled the project due to the pandemic.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2563 on: May 22, 2020, 03:24:18 PM »

If you take the position that the first Amendment applies to state governments, then I don't see how forcibly closing places of worship is constitutional. I think the first and 2nd Amendments are just too broad the way they're stated.

Here, Church services are possible again:

For example, St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna has a laser system at the entrance which counts people entering the Church with masks. No more than 300 are allowed inside:

https://www.keymedia.at/news/chronik/erster-gottesdienst-mit-maskenpflicht-im-stephansdom
rosin
Rookie
Denmark

« Reply #2564 on: May 22, 2020, 03:25:38 PM »

I still don’t understand why Trump doesn’t make MAGA masks...
They would honestly be a great way to protect yourself and your voter base from disease while also owning the libs.
I guess the irony in the 'MAGA' message (that the mask will make America great again) is too much for him
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2565 on: May 22, 2020, 04:03:44 PM »

Here, Church services are possible again:

For example, St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna has a laser system at the entrance which counts people entering the Church with masks. No more than 300 are allowed inside:

https://www.keymedia.at/news/chronik/erster-gottesdienst-mit-maskenpflicht-im-stephansdom
This is why we needed to be stricter on the virus early on so we could look like this.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #2566 on: May 22, 2020, 04:23:14 PM »

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2567 on: May 22, 2020, 05:51:11 PM »

USA is starting to find a fairly uniform declining rate in Active Cases. In comparison to previous predictions, it looks like the USA is going to have Active Cases well into June.

I think the US active cases are actually decreasing a lot steeper than this.

My mathematical model is balanced like a chemical equation.

What comes out matches what came in 3 weeks ago.

The rate of decline in both the UK and US has been slower than anticipated.

The increased testing in the US revealed that the number of new cases is actually dropping week on week.

And with recoveries coming in thick and fast, this thing should recede by mid to late June.

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #2568 on: May 22, 2020, 06:07:32 PM »

344k tests today, 23,923 positive - 6.9% positive
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #2569 on: May 22, 2020, 06:37:52 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2020, 08:26:08 PM by Meclazine »

There is a god.

A gracious and generous god.

http://nypost.com/2020/05/21/scientists-believe-cannabis-could-help-prevent-treat-coronavirus/

“We were totally stunned at first, and then we were really happy,” one of the researchers, Olga Kovalchuk, told CTV News.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #2570 on: May 22, 2020, 06:43:10 PM »

344k tests today, 23,923 positive - 6.9% positive

Silver's numbers are a bit skewed because Texas delayed reporting their number of tests until after Silver reported them, despite reporting their cases. The positive % should be lower in reality.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #2571 on: May 22, 2020, 06:49:10 PM »

Yesterday's annoying 28k cases were due to two states primarily, California and Florida, which are seeing some ripple effect. As Illinois and several other states are starting to decline currently in new cases, we should see this weird mini resurgence wither away.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2572 on: May 22, 2020, 07:00:32 PM »

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2573 on: May 22, 2020, 07:39:49 PM »

National Guard deployments to end 1 day before benefits would kick in
The Trump administration is ending deployment for 40,000 National Guard members helping with the coronavirus response. For many, it will end the day before they are eligible for federal benefits, according to a report from Politico, citing a senior FEMA official.

The "hard stop" is set for June 24. For thousands of Guard members, that will be 89 days into a deployment that started in late March to help states at nursing homes, setting up field hospitals and working at testing sites.

Politico reports that for every 90 days of serving during a federal emergency, Guard members can move up their retirement by three months (they must serve 20 years to qualify for a pension at age 60). They also can qualify for 40% off tuition at a public college or university after 90 days of service.

Yet another reason for people to not consider being in the Guard.  I can understand wanting to keep costs down, but ending their deployment literally 1 day short of them getting a benefit for taking three months away from their normal life is ridiculously cruel.  AT this point, if people want to serve, they should do so in the regular military instead of being screwed and jerked around by being in the National Guard.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2574 on: May 22, 2020, 07:43:56 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 201  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies