2020 Protests megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:52:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  2020 Protests megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Protests megathread  (Read 64084 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« on: June 03, 2020, 02:00:58 PM »

Small businesses going bankrupt is an unfortunate result of the riots but one point I would make is most of these businesses that are being looted happen in be in areas that vote heavily democratic, many of these businesses are owned by people from ethnic groups that vote democratic, and many of these business owners no doubt vote for the democratic party which is the party whose mayors preside over the failure to control the riots and whose elected officials by and large are pro protest and anti police.

So to some extent these business owners brought this upon themselves by voting the way they vote, but nonetheless they should be assisted somewhat financially speaking to recover. 

There always has been a high turnover in small businesses. Many small businesses are undercapitalized. Small businesses often appear where the behemoths such as Wal*Mart, Kroger, Safeway, and Meijer  don't locate themselves. Most of the fast-food places are really franchises.

It would be terribly wrong to make deciding on which small business gets restored and which one does not based on how the owner or franchise holder voted. I recognize that Little Caesar's paid to restore one of its franchisees whose operation was burned in the Ferguson riot a few years back.  Good for the Illitch family!

Note that opposition to police brutality (legitimate self-defense is ordinarily excused... pull a gun on a cop and expect to die) is widespread enough across the political spectrum that there are some comparatice conservatives in these demonstrations. Note well the large number of cameras and especially camcorders are in use. The same camcorder that someone used in the event of police misconduct might be turned against rioters and looters.  Police forces typically did their jobs right. Beside, the cops infiltrate demonstrations. Tough luck to anyone who gets busted for smash-and-grab burglary-larceny because the cops have infiltrated a well-behaved group of demonstrators.

Now as for small businesses... if you really like the convenience of a small business, then do the right thing: patronize it. Recognize that convenience and flexibility are worth paying higher prices than at  Wal*Mart with your consumer dollars. .
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 02:43:26 PM »

I watch a lot of his videos and this is the first one I've seen where he's been emotional/pissed off the entire time. You can tell he's really upset by this.

Donald Trump has shown what he is. It begins with an F and ends in a T. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 02:48:18 PM »

The craziness is strong here.

Surely you realize that Bexar County (San Antonio) is one of the strongest Democratic counties in America.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 08:04:35 AM »

Yet another casualty, as a young woman is in deep despair as a protester shot and killed her sister

https://nypost.com/2020/06/03/sister-of-iowa-woman-shot-dead-sobs-in-heartbreaking-video

Terrorism is defined by three elements:

1. Violence (or the threat of violence), and
2. against civilians, for
3. political reasons.

Call it what it is: This is domestic terrorism.

Anyone causing death and destruction right now is simply a terrorist.

I’m very disappointed with this nation.

As I said about the ex cop getting killed, her life is worth 100% as much as Floyd's, there's no reason you should care less about her dying than Floyd. That's 17 deaths at these things in ten days. At least one other person will probably get killed tomorrow and every day this continues. The focus should be on deescalation right now and then resuming peaceful protests when order is restored. Floyd died and he is one guy. More people have died at the protests and communities are being completely destroyed with the arson and looting. The protests and worse than the thing they're protesting about at this point.

The legal system does not recognize one life more worthy than others based on ethnicity, religion, age, economic status, etc.

It is not up to the State to determine when protests are to be allowed for the convenience of that State. If such were a valid criterion, then no protest would ever be lawful unless a demonstration perhaps of the Greatness of the Leader.

Those who commit arson, looting, assault, or property damage at a demonstration are appropriately treated in accordance with criminal law.  Such people need be aware of surveillance cameras ... and the commonplace presence of smart phones that contain cameras. Nothing says that protesters sympathize with criminality.  I would know what to do with any photo or footage that I took that involves someone breaking into a store window, torching a car, or beating someone up. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies