2020 Protests megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:43:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  2020 Protests megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 60
Author Topic: 2020 Protests megathread  (Read 64078 times)
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2020, 11:26:18 PM »

Most
Cops
Are
Bastards

not all of them (see Chattanooga TN etc), but jesus christ theres a lot of em
fluffypanther19
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2020, 11:33:46 PM »

holy moly, its crazy all over america. im having a hard time keeping up with every update
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #277 on: May 30, 2020, 11:34:39 PM »

Feels like a tale of two perspectives in this thread. Either "Police are shooting/pepper-spraying anyone in their way & making things worse" or "Protesters are violent sadists who are destroying everyone & everything in their path".  No mix of both, you believe in one or the other.  No wonder there's so much conflict & anger.

I'll say that my Twitter & Instagram have been completely in support of the protests. Never seen so much unity on my feeds, especially by folks I thought would've never sided with BLM groups.

And when discussion eventually slows here, I feel I'm gonna be muting all but 5-7 people between this thread & the larger MN one
this isn't true. Some people have mixed views. Such as me and at least some other people.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #278 on: May 30, 2020, 11:35:38 PM »

Washington State--- Seattle 5/30/20 Update

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/seattle-orders-5-pm-curfew-amid-violent-downtown-protests-after-george-floyd-rally/281-61becb1d-f808-4d32-9971-36fe27d57785
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #279 on: May 30, 2020, 11:36:16 PM »

I put this in the MN thread, but this is probably a more appropriate place

NYPD cars plowing into protesters:

An improvised lone wolf terrorist attack vs this. Spot the difference.

I, for one, can't.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #280 on: May 30, 2020, 11:38:07 PM »

More press attacked by evil cops:

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #281 on: May 30, 2020, 11:39:25 PM »

Tacoma Washington 5/30/20:

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article243128071.html

Vancouver, Canada 5/30/20:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/george-floyd-protest-vancouver-1.5592178

Rover
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.18, S: -4.42

« Reply #282 on: May 30, 2020, 11:40:42 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2020, 11:54:49 PM by Rover »

I'm so sick of watching all the evil cops tonight making everything worse. Doesn't matter where you look they are there. There are a few good ones, but few and far between.

I think that's so unfair to claim only a few cops are good ones. Yes, there are a lot of bad cops out there, yes police brutality exists, and there are a lot of racist nasty cops out there.
The whole criminal justice system needs dramatic review and reform top to bottom from police officers on the streets, to prisons, and the courts.
I know a lot of good cops out there. Sadly, one bad apple spoils the whole bunch. It's never smart or wise to generalize.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #283 on: May 30, 2020, 11:43:12 PM »

Per my older brother's Insta story, lots of fires in downtown Indianapolis

Got my nose broken at an anti KKK demo in Indy back in the early '90s (and not by a White Supremacist)....

Rough Midwest Town in a place where the Klan used to march around opening with their hoods and masks as recently as the early '70s.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2020/05/30/indianapolis-police-protests-live-updates-saturday-george-floyd-dreasjon-reed/5295442002/
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #284 on: May 30, 2020, 11:46:26 PM »

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #285 on: May 30, 2020, 11:51:29 PM »

I honestly don't know what to say. This country is literally ablaze. Everything that has happened in the past week has been horrifying.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #286 on: May 30, 2020, 11:51:46 PM »

30% - some kind of violence between police and protestors
50% - National Guard deployed

Might be missing some states, this is just what I've caught in my feeds:

You can add Iowa

Estrella

« Reply #287 on: May 30, 2020, 11:54:59 PM »

I'm so sick of watching all the evil cops tonight making everything worse. Doesn't matter where you look they are there. There are a few good ones, but few and far between.

I think that's so unfair to claim only a few cops are good ones. Yes, there are a lot of bad cops out there, yes police brutality exists, and there are a lot of racist cops out there.
The whole criminal justice system needs dramatic review and reform top to down from police officers in the streets, to prison, and the courts.
I know a lot of good cops out there, one bad apple spoils the whole bunch. It's never smart or wise to generalize.

This might or might not be true, but regardless of how many good cops there are, they need to stand up to the bad ones and change the system. If good cops are the majority, they have the responsibility to push for reform - and they clearly aren't doing that because if they were, murders like this wouldn't be such a common occurence. If they are a minority, that would make Gass right.

(As an aside, on one single issue I'm turning into a Reaganite: the ideal outcome of all of this would be the police unions being blown into smithereens, like what Ronald did to air trafic controllers in 1981. That obviously isn't gonna happen, but one can dream.)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #288 on: May 30, 2020, 11:55:06 PM »

I honestly don't know what to say. This country is literally ablaze. Everything that has happened in the past week has been horrifying.

Well, you brought that on yourself as a country. You had decades to reform police and you didn't.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #289 on: May 30, 2020, 11:59:56 PM »

I had the feed from Des Moine up just as I posted that and could tell that it was about to boil over.

A few other updates:

It's amazing how quickly this spiraled out of control. As I've said before, we are witnessing the decline of the United States in real time.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #290 on: May 31, 2020, 12:01:08 AM »

Portland, Oregon Update:

Looking like possibly a relatively quite night?

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2020/05/as-curfew-nears-protesters-back-in-downtown-portland-by-thous.html
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #291 on: May 31, 2020, 12:03:42 AM »

Bay Area, California Update--- 5/30/20

Still early Tonight on the West Coast....

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/destroyed-property-multiple-arrests-after-george-floyd-protests-in-the-bay-area/2299778/
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #292 on: May 31, 2020, 12:08:17 AM »

This thread SURE brought out the ugly in some of the people here and exposed their deep felt beliefs and I got to say it isn't pretty.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #293 on: May 31, 2020, 12:08:22 AM »

San Diego Update--- 5/30/20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLwMPiYnDSM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFX5zbG-dpQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xny4iWsldwM
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #294 on: May 31, 2020, 12:11:51 AM »

Now we've got police officers demanding people stay inside and shooting them on their own front porches when there's no martial law declared, and macing/shooting people who are not posing a threat and are actively complying with police orders.

Yeah, the police are out of control. This is going to be a very bad year.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #295 on: May 31, 2020, 12:12:00 AM »

This stuff was happening in 2015 and 2016, too. Even before Trump. It's not Obama's fault or Trump's fault.

It's a mixture of so many other factors.
Rover
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.18, S: -4.42

« Reply #296 on: May 31, 2020, 12:13:57 AM »

I think that's so unfair to claim only a few cops are good ones. Yes, there are a lot of bad cops out there, yes police brutality exists, and there are a lot of racist cops out there.
The whole criminal justice system needs dramatic review and reform top to down from police officers in the streets, to prison, and the courts.
I know a lot of good cops out there, one bad apple spoils the whole bunch. It's never smart or wise to generalize.

This might or might not be true, but regardless of how many good cops there are, they need to stand up to the bad ones and change the system. If good cops are the majority, they have the responsibility to push for reform - and they clearly aren't doing that because if they were, murders like this wouldn't be such a common occurence. If they are a minority, that would make Gass right.

(As an aside, on one single issue I'm turning into a Reaganite: the ideal outcome of all of this would be the police unions being blown into smithereens, like what Ronald did to air trafic controllers in 1981. That obviously isn't gonna happen, but one can dream.)

That's the job of politicians. The problem has always been there, the difference now it's being filmed on cameras.
My uncle used to work as a police officer at a prison, he always used to talk about how ill-equipped and underfunded the prisons were, and not enough help provided to rehabilitate prisoners, this problem was known since the 70s. But wasn't taken seriously.
Today in America released prisoners are more likely to rearrested than any other country in the western world. You can blame law enforcement all you want and they do deserve a lot of blame but why didn't our elected politicians do something about it?
Reform, review, and properly fund the system. You cant fund the system on the cheap. And yes Republican administrations are more guilty of gutting law enforcement funding. I personally trust Democrats more when it comes to law enforcement reform.
It's easy to sit back and talk sh!t about cops and many deserve it, but this anti-cop rhetoric will have dangerous ramifications that are already being felt. The drop in police officers applicant particular among minorities is a perfect example.
Estrella

« Reply #297 on: May 31, 2020, 12:16:08 AM »

+1 for dedication - people whose ideology involves turning back the clock to Middle Ages rarely go as far as to use weapons from those times.

Also, attorney general Barr apparently wants to prosecute the protesters using the Anti-Riot Act, which forbids crossing state lines and using interstate facilities to participate in violent riots.

Oh, by the way, the law was a part of the 1968 Civil Rights Act. Irony isn't in short supply these days.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #298 on: May 31, 2020, 12:17:16 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2020, 01:01:12 AM by New Frontier »

Well, you brought that on yourself as a country. You had decades to reform police and you didn't.
I brought what on myself? I'm a young Black man in America. This was brought on me not the other way around.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #299 on: May 31, 2020, 12:19:18 AM »

This is the first time I've ever watched the news with a glass of alcohol in hand in my life. Good going, 2020.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 60  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies