Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 11:21:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt.  (Read 5419 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: October 04, 2012, 03:41:31 PM »

would the outcry be as vociferous in the case of a teacher who demanded a student recite the Pledge of Allegiance?

Doubt it.  You are dealing with people with very selective outrage.

Yeah, I have to agree with you this time. Teachers shouldn't be berating students about politics; they can talk about politics sure, but since teachers are public figures themselves, they need self-control and good manners when talking about politics.

Being a "public figure" has nothing to do with it.  People shouldn't be expressing political opinions to any children except their own.  And really they should only do that sparingly when the children are older teenagers.

This forum stands as a testament to what goes wrong when young people who don't have a clue get deeply involved in politics.  Children should be concentrating on reading, writing, science, math, and REAL history.  95% of what goes on in politics is pure nonsense.  Young people need to be focused on facts and reason... not nonsense.

Ever hear of "civics?"
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »

Once again you know exactly what I mean but have decided to give us your usual retort.

In a classroom you can factually describe the position of Speaker of the House.  You can show where the duties and requirements for the office are laid out in the Constitution.  You can list several recent speakers such as Boehner, Pelosi, and Gingrich.  You can list their legislative accomplishments.  This is all factual.  It is not anyone's opinion.  And as I said when the children start getting older and are in their late teens you can even present quotes from Op Eds, books, radio shows, and television shows.  Again those are other people's opinions.  You can teach the entire class and the students would have no clue who you voted for.  You can present the information in a neutral way and then moderate.  You don't have to go in and start spouting your partisan opinion.  I would never repeat most of what I type on here in front of children.  They deserve to have a chance to live a care free childhood and concentrate on gathering the building blocks they will use once they have more life experience.

And you can encourage people to take part in the democratic process.  The teacher might present material in a neutral manner, but the expression of the student need not be neutral.  The teacher "spouted" her "partisan opinion," needlessly.  And yes, if this had been a student wearing an Obama tee shirt, I would have said the same thing.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 10:01:24 AM »

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands; one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice. Said that every school day since August of 2002. Except when I have a doctor's appointment or some s**t and come in late.

"...for all."  It is not required.  You may decline to participate, as many Jehovah's Witnesses do.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies