California Adopts 'Yes Means Yes' Sexual Assault Rule (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:17:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  California Adopts 'Yes Means Yes' Sexual Assault Rule (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California Adopts 'Yes Means Yes' Sexual Assault Rule  (Read 13796 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: September 30, 2014, 06:31:21 PM »

Apart from the obvious piece of misogynist trash that has already been repeatedly called out, I want to point out that prevalence of rape has little to do with people having casual sex or drinking. Lots of rape happens in relationships and this tired old myth is just a more subtle way of victim blaming. It's perfectly fine for people to have casual sex and it is even safe for lots of participants (i.e. men).

I think this is likely a step in the right direction, mostly because it might change attitudes. A classic parallel is the law against child-beating.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:49:28 AM »

This is...I...wow.

Like Angus, I can testify that someone inviting someone up for a drink does not always lead to sex and does not have to mean that.

Also, of course this is not about having to do some silly written contract or something. Getting consent is not that hard or weird. It usually flows naturally if you're not a douche. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies