2024 South Korean legislative election (April 10th) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 10:42:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2024 South Korean legislative election (April 10th) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2024 South Korean legislative election (April 10th)  (Read 3813 times)
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« on: March 26, 2024, 08:45:52 AM »

The PR section is whole different beast as the result of a botched attempt at electoral reform. The two main parties will be running satellite lists to circumvent the electoral system. DPK's satellite list is called the Democratic Alliance of Korea (DAK) and includes candidates from the far left Progressive Party and other smaller progressive parties. PPP's satellite list is called the People's Future Party (PFP).

Oh God, I can't believe a different country managed to replicate the 2001 Italian election with its liste civetta.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 08:58:14 AM »

If PPP can't win in these circumstances they should probably just close up shop.

PPP (narrowly) won the Presidential and local elections in 2022.

Oh, sorry, I mixed up what the left and right-wing parties are called now. It's hard to remember in Korea. Tongue

OK, then PPP losing makes perfect sense and hopefully the polls are right.

That's why we should all do like Mung Beans and refer to the liberal party du jour as Minjoo ("democratic" in Korean) and to the conservative party du jour as just conservatives (I believe that would be bosu in Korean, which I haven't seen transported to English).

I don't follow South Korea that closely but if anything I would not be surprised by Minjoo and allies increasing their majority.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2024, 07:06:33 AM »

The DPK is not liberal in a "Western" sense because South Korea is not a "Western" society (not that relatively socially conservative politicians in left-of-centre parties don't exist in the West).
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 04:04:24 PM »

An aging society with drastic regional inequality?
Abysmal female labor force participation?
Dysfunctional political parties turning into personality cults for their leaders?
Politicians embracing cheap populism to avoid taking the difficult reforms necessary to turn the country around?
Trading the future of the youth for short term electoral gains with the increasingly gerontocratic party base?
Sounds pretty familiar....

Most of these are less "turning into Italy" and "leapfrogging Italy in one go" given the state of South Korea...

Also wishing them better luck when someone comes along swearing off populism and actually promising difficult reforms necessary to turn the country around, because it seems to me that the track record of that in terms of actually turning the country around is quite poor.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 10:43:15 AM »

It's interesting to me that the conservatives see only a tiny improvement with the youngest voters compared to their 386 generation nadir. My recollection is that Yoon's pattern of support in 2022 was more bipolar than that. I imagine that's directly related to the many (male) youth who opted for the NRP?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 06:31:53 AM »

Another fun fact. Number #8 on the PFP list is Ihn Yo-Han (English name: John Linton). He comes from a family of Presbyterian missionaries who moved to Korea in the late 19th century.
As the PFP have won more than 8 seats, he will become the first white man and second naturalized South Korean citizen to be elected to the National Assembly.
future Korean obama!

I don't think this post is too serious but I will note Ihn is literally older than Obama.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 08:09:50 AM »

Another fun fact. Number #8 on the PFP list is Ihn Yo-Han (English name: John Linton). He comes from a family of Presbyterian missionaries who moved to Korea in the late 19th century.
As the PFP have won more than 8 seats, he will become the first white man and second naturalized South Korean citizen to be elected to the National Assembly.
future Korean obama!

I don't think this post is too serious but I will note Ihn is literally older than Obama.
age didnt stop trump or biden

I will leave it at that because I don't want to derail the thread but I have no idea how to reconcile your two posts here.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies