Was anyone else pushed to the Left by the Tea Party? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:03:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Was anyone else pushed to the Left by the Tea Party? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Was anyone else pushed to the Left by the Tea Party?  (Read 1632 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: February 04, 2014, 12:40:52 PM »

I mainly got interested in politics in 2006, at the height of the Dubya backlash. I naturally identified as a liberal and opposition to Dubya solidified me as a Democrat. The Tea Party has had no effect on my views, except to reinforce the fact that the Republican Party should not be able to gain the levers of power due to their far right archaic views.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 08:39:08 PM »

I was pushed to the right by the tea party. Its thoughtless attacks on consensus viewpoints and intellectual culture made me more likely to identify with otherwise offensives centrism and moderation. I have this feeling that if the tea party never existed and McCain was elected, I would be a True Leftist.

Wow, this exactly. The tea party (and the extreme right more so I guess) is increasingly turning me into a Matt Yglesias/Josh Barro centrist and it's horrible.

It's called the Overton Window, and the GOP pushes it to the right VERY effectively and seemingly without end.

(And before someone makes a lolololbutuhaveaready4hillarysig, SCOTUS and keeping the right wingers at bay is much more important right now. We can start running leftists once demographics favor us more heavily)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies