Gay Marriage Vote in NJ Senate on Thursday (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:21:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay Marriage Vote in NJ Senate on Thursday (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay Marriage Vote in NJ Senate on Thursday  (Read 4121 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: January 06, 2010, 12:24:21 AM »

How about they let the people of NJ vote on this?

Yeah, civil rights should always go to referenda. That's how we made such great progress with african american rights!

I find that, throughout history, attempts to expand civil rights have done poorly whenever they've gone to the ballot box.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 05:07:55 PM »

How about they let the people of NJ vote on this?

Yeah, civil rights should always go to referenda. That's how we made such great progress with african american rights!

I love how you pretend to support democracy.

Huh? If something wins in a democratic vote, it should be honored as such, but I have no qualms about preventing an issue from a democratic vote if that would benefit my side.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 12:37:51 AM »

Civil rights are inherent and should not be decided by "the people".. instead they should be protected by the government, "the people" be damned.

Government is instigated by the people.

Indeed.. unfortunately, representative democracy with strong checks and balances is about the best system we have for now.... because it does allow for social change, albeit slow social change.

But when it comes to civil rights, I do not believe they are earned or that they are a privilege.. I believe they are a basic human right and that no constitution, lawmaking body, or citizenry has the right to infringe upon them.  These rights transcend human civilization and government.

If we're voting on a highway system or a new national park... the people should have a strong input.  When it comes to my personal sexual orientation or whom I wish to marry, the government has no right to tell me no.. and giving preference to one group over another is inherently wrong... again, the will of the people be damned.  I don't care if 51% hate gays.  That 51% doesn't have any right to rule when it comes to civil rights.  End of story.

The people have the power to do anything. I think what you are saying is that you think additional personal liberty freedoms should be put in the Constitution, so that it would require a super majority to do something that you consider execrable. And that is a perfectly reasonable position. However, gay marriage is coming nationally in rather short order anyway, certainly within the next decade, and it will be done legislatively.

Within the next decade nationally? No, not even close.

I can't see the Senate passing a bill in support of gay marriage in the next 10 years. Maybe in the next 25 years, but I just don't see it before then. Definitely places like Mississippi & Alabama won't be passing bills to institute gay marriage anytime soon.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies