Ilhan Omar: Obama’s a “pretty face” who “got away with murder”
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 11:55:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ilhan Omar: Obama’s a “pretty face” who “got away with murder”
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Ilhan Omar: Obama’s a “pretty face” who “got away with murder”  (Read 2954 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2019, 10:14:19 PM »

This is sickening, I don't like Obama, but nothing he did was close to being tantamount to murder

It is clear that she should be censured by Congress for these ridiculous statements

Wait, censure for criticizing a former President? What?

Don't exactly agree with the statements, but that's ridiculous.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2019, 10:56:38 PM »

This is sickening, I don't like Obama, but nothing he did was close to being tantamount to murder

It is clear that she should be censured by Congress for these ridiculous statements

Agree on the first part ( other than not liking Obama Wink), but respectfully disagree that she deserves censure rather than a hopefully successful primary challenge. Inane stupid hyperbole is not censure worthy. If it was, we'd be censuring multiple members of Congress per month.

To be clear, I hope that she gets a primary challenge, hopefully from either Betsy Hodges or Mark Dayton, whoever her challenger is should be endorsed by Pelosi, Hoyer, Schumer, Durbin, the Clintons, Obama, and Reid, unless her challenger is also religiously or racially bigoted, but Dems should recruit big names to make sure she loses
Hey, on second thought you might be onto something...Wink
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2019, 10:58:25 PM »

Half Agree with the statements. Still a massive HP for calling Guaido in VZLA a far right wing coup when its going from communism to dem soc.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2019, 12:01:35 PM »

Comments like this and her defending Maduro's regime are why I stopped getting offended at whatever she says about Jews and Israel.

Huh

I went to Hebrew School in the 1980s so I have been expressing outrage about various figures making anti-Jewish comments, on and off, for more than 30 years. At some point I cut my losses and stop caring about people like Omar and Farrakhan.
James Monroe

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2019, 12:11:00 PM »

Hope someone has the courage to throw Ilhan out of office in the next primary. We deserve a true Democrat instead of this pseudo-Green Party POS.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2019, 12:14:25 PM »

[Insert "It's true but she shouldn't say it" meme]
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2019, 02:07:18 PM »

[Insert "It's true but she shouldn't say it" meme]
It's not true.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2019, 11:04:07 AM »

The fact that Ilhan Omar still has a job keeps me tossing and turning every night.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2019, 11:31:54 AM »

She's wrong how?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2019, 11:45:40 AM »

She speaks some uncomfortable "truths" but she does it so inartfully. Her bluntness makes it easy to paint her into a corner and turn it around on herself. She might not care because she is already the victim of so much hate and suspicion before she even opened her mouth solely based on her religion and how she looks. But what she's doing is not sustainable, she'll flame out if she doesn't get better about how she levels criticisms.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2019, 02:06:06 PM »

The fact that Ilhan Omar still has a job keeps me tossing and turning every night.
Lol!!! We have Trump and his racist swamp monsters, white supremacist representative Steve King, and now some dude in New Zealand slaughtering dozens of muslims for the sole reason that they were muslims. But it's the "anti-jewish" (muslim) woman who is trying to keep congressmen and senators honest that's keeping you up at night.

She speaks some uncomfortable "truths" but she does it so inartfully. Her bluntness makes it easy to paint her into a corner and turn it around on herself. She might not care because she is already the victim of so much hate and suspicion before she even opened her mouth solely based on her religion and how she looks. But what she's doing is not sustainable, she'll flame out if she doesn't get better about how she levels criticisms.
This is accurate.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2019, 02:17:10 PM »

Lol!!! We have Trump and his racist swamp monsters, white supremacist representative Steve King, and now some dude in New Zealand slaughtering dozens of muslims for the sole reason that they were muslims. But it's the "anti-jewish" (muslim) woman who is trying to keep congressmen and senators honest that's keeping you up at night.

Okay, let me get this straight. Because I have expressed my hatred for a member of the Democratic Party, I must apparently:

• Support President Donald Trump
  • Support Rep. Steve King
  • Support mass shootings against innocent Muslims

Even though I myself do not like the President, nor the embarrassment to my state that is referred to as "Steve King," and believe it or not, I don't like supporting the killings of people whom I disagree with. I know, that might be hard to handle, especially that last one, but it's pretty crazy how not every single person who doesn't agree with you is a strawman, isn't it? Breaking news: you can hate more than one thing. It's not impossible. I can hate the KKK, I can hate ISIS, I can hate the Westboro Baptist Church, and I can hate all of them at once.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2019, 02:20:00 PM »

Question: are the people who are angry about this familiar with the English language?

Huh
Am I missing something? Have none of you heard the phrase "Get away with murder"?

Full quote:
“His policies are bad, but many of the people who came before him also had really bad policies. They just were more polished than he was,” Omar said.

“And that’s not what we should be looking for anymore. We don’t want anybody to get away with murder because they are polished. We want to recognize the actual policies that are behind the pretty face and the smile.”

Its clearly not literal, its figurative.

Seriously, it feels that y'all are really taking what she says waaaaay too seriously. Its ridiculous.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2019, 02:24:27 PM »

Huh
Am I missing something? Have none of you heard the phrase "Get away with murder"?

Full quote:
“His policies are bad, but many of the people who came before him also had really bad policies. They just were more polished than he was,” Omar said.

“And that’s not what we should be looking for anymore. We don’t want anybody to get away with murder because they are polished. We want to recognize the actual policies that are behind the pretty face and the smile.”

Seriously, it feels that y'all are really taking what she says waaaaay too seriously. Its ridiculous.

Wow, this is even less controversial than I thought it'd be.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2019, 03:03:39 PM »

Huh

Full quote:

Wow, this is even less controversial than I thought it'd be.

Tbf, Jacobin American, a prominent supporter of Omar, framed the OP/thread title to make it look like she meant it literally. So most ardent detractors just went and rolled with it.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2019, 05:16:26 PM »

Okay, let me get this straight. Because I have expressed my hatred for a member of the Democratic Party, I must apparently:

Even though I myself do not like the President, nor the embarrassment to my state that is referred to as "Steve King," and believe it or not, I don't like supporting the killings of people whom I disagree with. I know, that might be hard to handle, especially that last one, but it's pretty crazy how not every single person who doesn't agree with you is a strawman, isn't it? Breaking news: you can hate more than one thing. It's not impossible. I can hate the KKK, I can hate ISIS, I can hate the Westboro Baptist Church, and I can hate all of them at once.
I think you misunderstood my post.

What I'm trying to say is that out of all the threats out there - which I am sure you are not a proponent of - the one "threat" that keeps you up at night is Ilhan Omar. I'm saying that your list of priorities for what to worry about or be troubled by is (in my opinion) illogical and out of touch with reality.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2019, 07:48:33 PM »

I think you misunderstood my post.

What I'm trying to say is that out of all the threats out there - which I am sure you are not a proponent of - the one "threat" that keeps you up at night is Ilhan Omar. I'm saying that your list of priorities for what to worry about or be troubled by is (in my opinion) illogical and out of touch with reality.

I never said anything about priorities. I never said Ilhan Omar is enemy #1. But she still deserves to be removed from office, plain and simple. Quit putting words in my mouth.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2019, 09:39:22 AM »

Democrats need to strip Omar of all of her committee assignments and be done with her.

If the voters of her district wish to continue to send her back to Congress, that's on them.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2019, 12:39:28 PM »

Stuff like this is why Omar doesn't concern me nearly as much as AOC.

She's a loose cannon and acts like the amateur she is.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #94 on: March 16, 2019, 01:43:05 PM »

Stuff like this is why Omar doesn't concern me nearly as much as AOC.

She's a loose cannon and acts like the amateur she is.

For good or ill, AOC is exceptionally skilled when it comes to the use of social media.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies