Cannon indefinitely delays Trump's classified documents trial
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 05:23:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cannon indefinitely delays Trump's classified documents trial
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cannon indefinitely delays Trump's classified documents trial  (Read 263 times)
Obama24
Rookie
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2024, 04:48:16 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/05/07/trump-classified-documents-trial-delayed-cannon-florida/

Donald Trump’s Florida trial for allegedly mishandling classified documents and obstructing government efforts to retrieve them has been pushed back indefinitely, U.S. District Judge Aileen M. Cannon ruled Tuesday, increasing the chance that Trump’s New York criminal trial may be the only one to happen before the November election.

The judge had originally set the trial date for late May and heard arguments on March 1 about when the trial should be — with Trump’s lawyers pushing to start after the presidential election, in which he is the presumptive Republican nominee, or no earlier than August.

Prosecutors urged Cannon to pick a date in early July.

But in her ruling, the judge said there are too many complicated legal rules and deadlines surrounding the use of classified evidence in public criminal trials that need to be considered before she finalizes a court date. She said she would schedule the trial date at a future time.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 05:56:31 PM »

Good to know that I can steal classified government documents and not face any consequences.

Because that’s what this means, unless laws don’t apply to the president…in which case Biden can go ahead and declare himself the winner of the election and cancel all voting.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 06:58:06 PM »

Good to know that I can steal classified government documents and not face any consequences.

Because that’s what this means, unless laws don’t apply to the president…in which case Biden can go ahead and declare himself the winner of the election and cancel all voting.

Not quite. You can only do that if you appointed the judge overseeing your trial, and the prosecutor stupidly allows that judge to oversee that trial instead of moving it to a different appropriate location. All in the name of "fairness."
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 09:40:10 PM »

I believe that a certain prominent Republican had a suggestion on how circumstances like these ought to be resolved:

While I myself don't condone such speech, much less action, all of our blue posters would be just fine with this sort of resolution... or they're lying hypocrites.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 09:42:03 PM »

Two tier justice system in effect.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 09:55:00 PM »

Not surprised. Aileen Cannon is a Trump hack.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 10:17:31 PM »

It's an absolute travesty that not only will he not go to trial before the election, but that he is not in prison pending trial on these charges. There is no other person in the entire country who would not have been arrested on these charges and not given a bond.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2024, 10:21:56 PM »

Pretty sure nothing will go to trial before November. We are heading towards a dictatorship my boys. Strap in
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies