Kasich getting serious, launches PAC to raise money (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:59:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Kasich getting serious, launches PAC to raise money (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kasich getting serious, launches PAC to raise money  (Read 1775 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: April 17, 2015, 11:45:17 PM »

Ugh. Huntsman Part II. Jeb would be preferable.
I strongly disagree with this comparison.

Huntsman comes off elitist and condescending. Kasich connects with a wide array of voters, and often frames his actions in a religious context ("Expanding Medicaid is the Christian thing to do, even if I support the repeal of Obamacare and replacement with the PCA") without being overly-religious (think GWB and Huckabee) about it.

^^

Exactly. Kasich, wherever he departs from conservative orthodoxy, tends to frame his arguments to argue that he actually has the conservative point of view in the argument. Kasich is a far cry from Huntsman who seemingly ran to make fun of Republicans and plug his future 'No Labels' group before it existed. Kasich will not attempt to win over the GOP electorate by insulting us.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 12:03:00 AM »

Huntsman comes off elitist and condescending. Kasich connects with a wide array of voters, and often frames his actions in a religious context ("Expanding Medicaid is the Christian thing to do, even if I support the repeal of Obamacare and replacement with the PCA") without being overly-religious (think GWB and Huckabee) about it.

^^

Exactly. Kasich, wherever he departs from conservative orthodoxy, tends to frame his arguments to argue that he actually has the conservative point of view in the argument. Kasich is a far cry from Huntsman who seemingly ran to make fun of Republicans and plug his future 'No Labels' group before it existed. Kasich will not attempt to win over the GOP electorate by insulting us.

So Scott Walker without the stain of being Scott Walker?

Not really. Kasich was a bridge builder governor. Walker was a "we've got the votes, so we're going to do it now matter how much backlash there is" type of governor. Kasich tried being Walker his first year in office and it went poorly. After that point, he put his tail between his legs, begged forgiveness, and worked across the aisle.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 12:04:24 AM »

You come off as elitist and condescending.

Huntsman's policies were orthodox conservative. They just were sensibly justified.

Perhaps some of them were. Huntsman, whatever his policies might have been, ran as an unapologetic arrogrant prick who seemed to think that, obviously, the best way to convince people is by insulting them as often as possible.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 09:12:50 AM »

Kasich is only similar to Huntsman as a strong general election/weak primary candidate but the reasons why are different.

Huntsman was more alien to most GOP primary voters- a Mormon and one who came out as secular at that- but he was palatable to the establishment had they not already found Romney. But his betrayal was working for Obama. Christie is in ways a better comparison to Huntsman.

Kasich is more Huckabee: an Evangelical Christian whose betrayal of movement conservatives as governor is on things like Obamacare, (as well as a congressman on guns). And some of his rhetoric may alienate some big donors as much as the Tea Party.

It may, but I wouldn't count on it. Kasich did spend years an investment banker for Lehman brothers after all. I have to imagine he understands how not to tick off businesses. He may be religious but he has far more sense than Huckabee.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies