Obama Administration Ordered FBI to Read Miranda Rights to Detainees
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:19:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama Administration Ordered FBI to Read Miranda Rights to Detainees
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama Administration Ordered FBI to Read Miranda Rights to Detainees  (Read 1753 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2009, 09:33:24 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/10/lawmaker-says-obama-ordered-fbi-read-rights-detainees/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Seriously President Obama, is this a good idea?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »

http://www.soldiersperspective.us/2006/09/20/miranda-rights-for-terrorists/
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 09:55:29 PM »

You know at this point I've just decided to laugh.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 09:58:24 PM »

The mental picture of it happening on the battlefield is funny....

Soldier : Drop the weapon scumbag!
FBI agent : Whoa soldier hold on...

....You have the right to remain silent.....

Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 10:21:32 PM »

the article says at detention centers not the battlefield anways.
i of course would like this whole thing to be independently confirmed before i will believe it as fac.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 10:24:27 PM »

i of course would like this whole thing to be independently confirmed before i will believe it as fac.

Congressman Rogers confirmed it as he was there when it was discussed.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 10:25:15 PM »

Congressman Rogers confirmed it as he was there when it was discussed.
i dont trust politicians.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 11:28:55 PM »

Reading that, it appears that it's only on detention centers once the people are arrested and not on the battlefield, so what exactly is the problem here?

And it's an unconfirmed story told by a republican congressman, pardon me if i wait for more proof on this before trusting the guy.

D'oh, Nhoj basically said the same thing Tongue
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 11:35:21 PM »

Reading that, it appears that it's only on detention centers once the people are arrested and not on the battlefield, so what exactly is the problem here?

You can't see the obvious problems? They're not US citizens, therefore they don't have the same legal rights as a US citizen. They shouldn't be tried in a US Civil court as they are enemy combatants not common thugs. Should US soldiers be called to testify in US courts if/when the Mirandized terrorists are brought to trial? What should happen to a terrorist if his trial is thrown out due to a technicality?
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 11:40:04 PM »

Is it just me, or is there some logical disconnect here? The first inclination of a captured combatant/terrorist/whatever isn't to divulge tactical information. Which is why coercive interrogation techniques/torture/whatever exists in the first place. So why would being read one's Miranda rights inherently make a captured combatant less likely to divulge information?

and what the hell is the FBI doing in Afghanistan? I could understand their role as observers and they should definitely be brought in if a prisoner has information about an upcoming attack within the United States, but what exactly is their role here? and why would US domestic law be applied in Afghanistan? Does international law require that these detainees be immediately read their rights? what "rights" would a detainee even have if captured by NATO forces in Afghanistan?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 11:42:10 PM »

Because the left leaning individuals in control of this government believe that Al-Qaeda is a police/legal issue not a military problem.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 11:50:05 PM »

Because the left leaning individuals in control of this government believe that Al-Qaeda is a police/legal issue not a military problem.

that doesn't really answer any of my questions, but ok. Regardless, I still don't see why this is a big deal at all. They're not going to want to reveal anything anyway, which is why we have to torture them if we want information. Being read their Miranda rights isn't going to make them less or more likely to talk.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 11:52:20 PM »

that doesn't really answer any of my questions, but ok. Regardless, I still don't see why this is a big deal at all. They're not going to want to reveal anything anyway, which is why we have to torture them if we want information. Being read their Miranda rights isn't going to make them less or more likely to talk.

That's not the point of reading them their Miranda rights. It's to give them the same legal rights as US citizens and bring them to US courts.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 01:01:01 AM »

That's not the point of reading them their Miranda rights. It's to give them the same legal rights as US citizens and bring them to US courts.

yeah, but the 2nd link you posted seemed to indicate that it would radically disrupt field intelligence. I don't think it would make all that much of a difference, especially with the restrictions on "enhanced interrogation techniques" now in place. some terrorists captured in the United States (and therefore mirandized), such as the attempted 12/31/99 LAX bomber, have cooperated with authorities, some haven't. shrug. in the ticking time bomb scenario you're probably screwed anyway unless you pull a Jack Bauer and start breaking their fingers. if that would even work.

although the link is from 2006 and I don't know if the "McCain amendment" he was referencing was ever enacted...but immediate access to legal counsel as well as US domestic laws on prisoner treatment obviously have not been adhered to with the treatment of these combatants from 2006-present. Have any of these combatants that have had their Miranda rights read to them been actually afforded any legal counsel (by whom? if the FBI is reading them their rights, that would logically mean they're being tried in a US court since the FBI has no jurisdiction outside the US) or been charged with any crime? which is why I'm tempted to call bullsh**t; if a detainee is afforded his Miranda rights, there would be some form a ripple effect. Legal counsel would have to be brought in (if they wanted to actually interrogate these prisoners), formal charges would have to be issued, etc., all of which we would know about by now. It would make little sense to read them their Miranda rights but then not follow through with providing them, if the Obama Administration really wants to try these people in US courts.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 02:23:35 AM »

You can't see the obvious problems? They're not US citizens, therefore they don't have the same legal rights as a US citizen. They shouldn't be tried in a US Civil court as they are enemy combatants not common thugs. Should US soldiers be called to testify in US courts if/when the Mirandized terrorists are brought to trial? What should happen to a terrorist if his trial is thrown out due to a technicality?

If I were to drive up to Canada, commit a crime, and be arrested, I would be tried under the Canadian court system with the full legal rights of the Canadia legal system despite not being a Canadian citizen. I wouldn't be thrown indefinately in some detention center by the Canadian government. The same applies to any Canadian citizen who commits a crime in the US. It's a laughable argument.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 03:44:43 AM »

StatesRights is talking nonsense, as usual.

Reading detainees their Miranda rights is a policy initiated by the Bush administration about one and a half years ago. If he waited a couple of seconds and used ''the google'', perhaps he could spare us all from his mindless parroting of right-wing-fringe talking points.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/11/AR2008021100572.html   

''The Bush administration announced yesterday that it intends to bring capital murder charges against half a dozen men allegedly linked to the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, based partly on information the men disclosed to FBI and military questioners without the use of coercive interrogation tactics....

FBI and military interrogators who began work with the suspects in late 2006 called themselves the "Clean Team" and set as their goal the collection of virtually the same information the CIA had obtained from five of the six through duress at secret prisons.

To ensure that the data would not be tainted by allegations of torture or illegal coercion, the FBI and military team won the suspects' trust over the past 16 months by using time-tested rapport-building techniques, the officials said....

Officials said most of the detainees talked to FBI and military interrogators, some for days, others for months, while one or two rebuffed them. The men were read rights similar to a standard U.S. Miranda warning, and officials designed the program to get to the information the CIA already had gleaned by using waterboarding, which simulates drowning, and other techniques such as sleep deprivation, forced standing and the use of extreme temperatures.''

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 08:10:37 AM »

Arguing with certain individuals here is like arguing with the Fox News chyron.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 09:03:59 AM »

I'm just the Phuckedup Bureau of Investigation is doing something by book!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies