UK: Small Parties' Hopes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:39:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK: Small Parties' Hopes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK: Small Parties' Hopes  (Read 4929 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: April 19, 2005, 03:43:30 PM »

UKIP - Standing in ~500 seats [no accurate figures that I can find] (from 429 in 2001) according to their website. You can find a searchable database of their candidates on their website. I don't think they've filled all the seats like they promised to, and they are concentrating on 20 seats specifically.

They could cost the Tories Boston & Skegness and stop 'em from gaining Harwich. IIRC they're throwing a lot at the seat (Totnes) where Knapman is standing (if they win a seat it'll be one of those three).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Could come second in the two inner city seats.

Could well come second (urgh...) in Dewsbury and might stop the Tories from picking up some other textiles seats. I have a feeling they could do well in South Essex as well... maybe Yardley too.

Only Agent Orange himself is worth watching

There's actually a chance that they might do better in Birmingham Sparkbrook & Small Heath than Bethnal Green & Bow... the seat is the most Muslim in the U.K (I've not checked the statistics but it's close to a majority, maybe over that) the current M.P has made some... interesting... remarks about immigration and the LibDem isn't especially highprofile... but then Respect picked a female candidate. Maybe not.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 04:02:28 AM »

Didn't the Tories gain Harwich four years back?

Much to their suprise, they didn't.

True... but the sort of people who vote for Respect there are the sort who vote PJP locally.

No, it's still Hove. Respect haven't made a f*** up with a constituency's name *again* have they?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 04:17:54 AM »

Obviously confused it with some other place, and maybe with the fact that it was one of UKIP's few saved deposits last time.

Castle Point?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 09:36:11 AM »

On their own website, Respect are down as contesting Hove & Portslade, though on the BBC website they are down as constesting Hove. I think its a tactical move somehow.

Doubt it: they earlier said they were running a candidate in "Poplar and Limehouse"... a seat that will be created by boundary changes after the election (the seat is currently Poplar and Canning Town)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 10:07:59 AM »

Apparently Plaid are trying to re-conquer the Marches! Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 12:31:18 PM »

What the heck is Veritas about, anyway?

Robert Kilroy-Silk's personality cult
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 12:54:21 PM »

Wait...that name is familiar...didn't he use to be the UKIP head or something? Huh

Yep. This is Mr Orange Face's career to date:

Labour M.P for Ormskirk in the from 1974 until 1983 when he was redistricted out to Knowlsey North (actually Kirkby). Stepped down as M.P in 1987. Became host of a dodgy daytime T.V chatshow ("Kilroy"). Shifted dramatically to the right, and made the odd bigoted remark (mostly about the Irish) but never got fired. He also had a column in a newspaper and he was eventually sacked by the BBC due to an extremely racist article about Arabs.
Joined UKIP, was a candidate in the Euro elections, did disturbingly well and became an MEP. Tried to be become leader of UKIP. Failed. Went off in a huff and founded his own party ("Veritas". which is apparently Latin for "truth"). Is running for Parliament in Erewash (a mixed suburban seat in Derbyshire). Is an egomaniac. Has disturbingly far right views (and was recently caught on camera asking an immigrant worker to "go back tomorrow"). A while back he had pig sh*t thrown on him (much to everyone's delight). Is an egomaniac. Did I mention that he's an egomaniac?

Satire:

http://eclectech.co.uk/kilroysilk.php
 http://www.vanitasparty.com/

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 02:49:44 AM »

Is it Cllr Radford in L'Pool West Derby by any chance?
I think an Oborski is running down in Wyre Forest
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 04:58:28 PM »

Extremely dramatic boundary changes in Normanton, but yep the core of the seat has been either Labour or Lib/Lab since (some) working class people were allowed to vote.
Lucky Ed Balls.

As for other seats;

Rhondda has had a Labour or Lib/Lab M.P since the 1890's at least (maybe slightly before as well). Closest this record came to ending was (ironically) in 1945 when a Communist nearly won one of the two Rhondda seats (not sure if it was east or west. Both were merged in 1974).
Most South Wales seats have been Labour, Independent Labour or Lib/Lab for a very, very long time as well (in most cases since the '20's).
Same goes for most of the Yorks/Lancs mining seats (interestingly since it became a seat in it's own right, Barnsley (now Barnsley Central) has never elected a Tory). The Durham seats are harder to work out because of the radical boundary changes after '50, but I do know that the area where my family comes from was one of a tiny number of seats to stay Labour in 1931 Smiley
Most of the East End has been Labour since the '20's.
Wolverhampton NE had went Tory for the first time since the 19th century in 1987. Normal service has since resumed.
Canterbury has had a Tory M.P since the 1870's, although it's come very close to going red recently and at some point in the nearish future that record will end. Rutland has voted Tory at every general election since the 1870's, but I think it went Liberal in a by-election in the early 20th century. Thirsk & Malton (now Ryedale) had been Tory since the 19th century until it was briefly lost to the Liberals in a by-election in the '80's.
Dorset West has been Tory since the 1870's, although that record also seems doomed. There's probably a few places in the South East that have never had anything but a Tory M.P since 1832, but I've not checked.
Longest Liberal record was Montgomeryshire (Liberal from the 19th century until 1979) and is now Orkney & Shetland (Liberal since 1950).

The best record of all is South Shields; since 1832 it has never, ever had a Tory M.P...
But the most amusing record is probably Norfolk SW: from 1950 until 1970 it always backed the loser.

"Norfolk do different"
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 03:35:18 PM »

The Doctor's name is Taylor.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 04:02:00 PM »

Not a very nice thing to say about Kilroy Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 02:04:39 AM »

Eastern is an official region; the old East Anglia standard region with Essex, Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Bedfordshire added to it.
Essex actually makes sense (up to a point) but I don't know why the others are in it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 02:19:00 AM »

It might also be because East Anglia was too small
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 10:13:09 AM »

There's your answer