US House Redistricting: Florida (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:21:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Florida (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Florida  (Read 64653 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: January 20, 2011, 10:41:46 PM »

I suspect the intent burden is going to have to be set decently high, because at its heart, every district ever drawn is intended to "favor or disfavor a political party or an incumbent". 

But then again, with the Florida Supreme Court, the answer will probably not make any sense.

The Florida Supremes are really going to enjoy gutting the GOP plan with the language in the statute quoted above. It gives them a total hunting license, and I think the same  four liberal (and partisan) justices  are still on the Court who dealt with Bush v Gore. So how many seats does the GOP lose with a pretty non partisan plan I wonder?  Just the two new seats, or a couple of more?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 10:44:34 PM »

I suspect the intent burden is going to have to be set decently high, because at its heart, every district ever drawn is intended to "favor or disfavor a political party or an incumbent". 

But then again, with the Florida Supreme Court, the answer will probably not make any sense.

The Florida Supremes are really going to enjoy gutting the GOP plan with the language in the statute quoted above. It gives them a total hunting license, and I think the same  four liberal (and partisan) justices  are still on the Court who dealt with Bush v Gore. So how many seats does the GOP lose with a pretty non partisan plan I wonder?  Just the two new seats, or a couple of more?

Are you sure?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of_Florida

And the Chief Justice is a former Republican Congressman.

Interesting. No, I was clearly behind the curve on that one. Thanks.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 03:13:47 PM »

In establishing Congressional district boundaries:

(1) No apportionment plan or individual district shall be drawn with the intent to favor or disfavor a political party or an incumbent
Does Michigan's law include any such language?

No. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 02:37:46 PM »

Yes, West will run better than McCain's 44% in the CD, but having moved 4 full points in the Dem direction, this map pretty much throws him under the bus. Amazing really.  The Tea Party should revolt, and scare the map drawers sh*t-less. I quite like West.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies