Is there any chance of Puerto Rico becoming a state? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 07:12:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is there any chance of Puerto Rico becoming a state? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is there any chance of Puerto Rico becoming a state?  (Read 1407 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 03, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »

It won't have to do anything. US does not have an official language at present and it already has other states with multiple oficial languages.

Legally speaking, I know. I admit that I'm looking at this from the perspective of someone who does not know the United States particularly well. But I do understand enough to note that over the past 30 or so years and increasingly over the last few couple the Republican Party has become increasingly sectarian in its approach to defining American-ness. While we can scoff at Sarah Palin and her innate ridiculousness but the concept of there being 'Real Americans' is something that has a real (if often obscured) power in American discourse. And while, there can be some debate about Palin meant, I'm pretty sure that c5 million mostly monolingual Spanish speaking, tanned skinned people from an island in the Caribbean do not make the cut. I mean there is a subsection of the electorate that has managed through sheer noise to make the birthplace of Barack Obama one of the most important issues in recent US politics - and that was really about, yet again, defining 'American-ness' in a purely sectarian way and that sort of venom is hardly being restricted to those at the top right now (though the president is most obvious target).

Of course I could completely wrong and the Republican Right will embrace Puerto Rico as one of their own as if were Utah or South Carolina excluding the black parts (though I don't really see how the state will end up voting GOP with electoral and socioeconomic demographics being what they are - its GDP per capita is much lower than even Mississippi, which brings us to the issue of state subsidies and redistribution...).
Are you saying that Republicans hate or don't care about blacks, or are you just saying that the black parts of South Carolina are more Democrat than the rest of the state?  The Republican Party was founded to fight for blacks.  I'm white, but I'm a Republican in part because of that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies